Story on Sox trade possibilities...

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Really? I’m not sure about that. Painter was the consensus top minor league arm going into last season prior to his injury. We’re talking about a guy that just turned 21 and could be a top 20 mlb pitcher as early as the 2026 season, assuming full recovery from TJS. Crawford is another T100 mlb prospect to boot.

I like Painter. But I need another piece. Painter, Crawford, and Caba would do it for me. Though I'd really want Miller instead of Painter. Both are top 20ish prospects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

He has 3.5 years of control.  If your price isn't met, then keep him.  It's that simple

And wait for the next injury to further erode his value? Your proposed trade would have been viable if the Sox traded Robert 6 months ago but I don’t see them getting that today. Not after yet another significant injury. Wait another few months for another significant injury and the return will look even worse. I don’t think a return of Painter + Crawford is settling at all.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And wait for the next injury to further erode his value? Your proposed trade would have been viable if the Sox traded Robert 6 months ago but I don’t see them getting that today. Not after yet another significant injury. Wait another few months for another significant injury and the return will look even worse. I don’t think a return of Painter + Crawford is settling at all.

6 months ago the situation on the ground was very different.  Robert had just played a full season, and the Sox thought they were chasing something like 25 to 30 games to be a contender.  Today they have another injury and about 50 games to make up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I like Painter. But I need another piece. Painter, Crawford, and Caba would do it for me. Though I'd really want Miller instead of Painter. Both are top 20ish prospects.

I’m piggybacking on to the thought that other teams are reluctant to trade their young position players. I really really like Painter. I prefer him over Miller personally despite the injury risk. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

6 months ago the situation on the ground was very different.  Robert had just played a full season, and the Sox thought they were chasing something like 25 to 30 games to be a contender.  Today they have another injury and about 50 games to make up.

Yea, I didn’t see it as different at all. That’s why all offseason I was saying I preferred prospects without mlb service time in the proposed orioles Cease trade scenarios. I didn’t see this team being competitive until 2026 at the earliest.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yea, I didn’t see it as different at all. That’s why all offseason I was saying I preferred prospects without mlb service time in the proposed orioles Cease trade scenarios. I didn’t see this team being competitive until 2026 at the earliest.

And by running scared in the Cease deal we took less than we should have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

We don’t know that. No guarantee he’d be worth more next month than he was 3 months ago.

By that logic we don't know anything about Robert either.  We do know that Cease is back to his old self, and that is what teams were holding back prospects because of.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

By that logic we don't know anything about Robert either.  We do know that Cease is back to his old self, and that is what teams were holding back prospects because of.

We do know that Robert is very injury prone so I’d argue his injury risk is higher than Cease. So if you were concerned about that for Cease you should be even more concerned about that for Robert.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

We do know that Robert is very injury prone so I’d argue his injury risk is higher than Cease. So if you were concerned about that for Cease you should be even more concerned about that for Robert.

I could argue that the Sox made a strategic mistake by not holding on to Cease a bit longer, and I did at the time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I could argue that the Sox made a strategic mistake by not holding on to Cease a bit longer, and I did at the time. 

I was advocating for them to hold him until July as well. I absolutely believe you trade Robert as quickly as possible and even suggested the same last offseason (so that wasn’t in hindsight either).

4 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Miller would have to be in the deal for Roberts. If not I’m looking somewhere else. Painter as the headliner is way too risky. 

All prospects are risky. A 20 year old that hasn’t yet played above A+ ball is also risky.

1 minute ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Miller’s bat is legit. He would have been a Top 10 prospect in last year's draft if he didn’t break his hamate bone. 

That’s fine but it doesn’t mean he isn’t very risky as a headliner either. Has had no success above A ball. I’m not saying he won’t but I would still consider him high risk. Painter’s risk is injury but I actually like that he’s already got TJS out of the way. Imo, that makes him less risky moving forward.

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Im not sure you get anything more than we got for him holding out using hindsight. He is having a much better season than 2023 currently, but he is pacing out more like 2021 Cease and not 2022 Cease.

Also, I would assume he would have slightly worse numbers on this team than on San Diego, so I consider that as well.

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Im not sure you get anything more than we got for him holding out using hindsight. He is having a much better season than 2023 currently, but he is pacing out more like 2021 Cease and not 2022 Cease.

Also, I would assume he would have slightly worse numbers on this team than on San Diego, so I consider that as well.

Good point, especially given the Sox clubhouse dysfunction that @southsider2k5has been highlighting recently. Also worth noting that Cease started strong last season as well. His numbers in mid July were similar to where they are this season. He fell apart after that.

I know that Tampa doesn't operate that way, but their system might be the most enticing for what the Sox need, Carson Williams and Xavier Issac, and maybe someone like Chandler Simpson. 

Pipe dream, but I am a huge fan of their system. 

What would you think of Robert to Dodgers for Pages, Vargas, Outman, Knack and Bruns? Not a lot of star power coming back but all have high floors and are major leaguers or majot league ready (minus Bruns).

1 hour ago, GGajewski18 said:

There's like 5 players worse than Colas alone on the Sox.  

Colas has done decent since he has been called back up.  Like all the young guys on the team, they need to be in the lineup everyday

I agree with your sentiment but am very confident saying colas is not a big leaguer.

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I agree with your sentiment but am very confident saying colas is not a big leaguer.

He might not be, but I want to see him in the lineup everyday to prove that.  

There should be 0 reason him, Sosa, Lee, DeLoach aren't in the lineups everyday.  Need to see what they have in them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

There's a twitter thread Jimmy is a part of discussing this. He posits that the White Sox need to maximize returns, and teams are very reluctant moving position prospects in today's landscape. So if teams are more willing to trade top end pitching versus top end position players, that's what they will take back.

I'd be ok with getting guys like Samuel Zavala back as the second/third piece, then. Build up that next wave of position players. They could also use some of their lesser pieces (like DeJong) to try to get players they project for 2-3 WAR from teams that have some of those types blocked. The Fletcher and DeLoach trades are decent examples, just pick better players please.

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't think that's gonna happen.  Now the question is do they take the prospect haul for both Robert and Crochet or do they make one of the acquiring teams take on Benintendi so they can get out from under that god awful horrific contract. 

That would be so stupid, which is exactly why I can see the Sox doing it.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yep.  Hindsight of course, but it’s very easy to argue that Cease was traded too early and Robert is now being shopped too late (after his big healthy season).  But there’s still plenty of time for Robert to recoup his trade value.  He just needs to stay healthy and hit well for a good long stretch.

Edited by WhiteSox2023