Story on Sox trade possibilities...

11 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Fedde + Banks has substantial value. 

Obviously, if Crochet is the headliner, that could easily net Kjerstad but it would also require much more from the O's.....more than Elias is willing to pay.

So then the issue becomes if Chicago won't take Kjerstad as the headliner in a Robert/Crochet trade...what else do u need to add to Fedde for Kjerstad. I think Fedde and Banks is a pretty good offer.

Ofcourse we are also dealing with a prospect hugging team so logic doesn't matter.

I don’t envision Tanner Banks having all that much value.  Yes he’s lefty and is controllable for a while, but he’s also a 32 year old relief pitcher without much of a track record.  He’ll net us something if he keeps this up, but he isn’t nearly enough of a sweetener to land a premium prospect when paired with Fedde.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Two 45 FV prospects would be a better return than I had predicted earlier this season so I’d call it a win. 

Jimmy said a Top 100......I'd rather take a single Top 100 than 2 45s.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t envision Tanner Banks having all that much value.  Yes he’s lefty and is controllable for a while, but he’s also a 32 year old relief pitcher without much of a track record.  He’ll net us something if he keeps this up, but he isn’t nearly enough of a sweetener to land a premium prospect when paired with Fedde.

This

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Also, we gotta stop citing that baseball trade value site. It’s garbage and GMs aren’t building trades based on it.

It’s also no longer free and I can’t imagine anyone would actually pay for it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Jimmy said a Top 100......I'd rather take a single Top 100 than 2 45s.

I’d be surprised if they get a T100 guy for him. A couple interesting 45s plus a flier would be a fantastic return imo

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Seems like Jimbo may has heard something? Who would this theoretically even be for? Seems like for Fedde

I actually haven’t heard anything. I just know that the Sox like Bishop Letson so I found it interesting. 

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Ugh...sell Fedde for power. Have they not figured out that there's only so much a limpdick style offense can do?

Fedde should be in a package for Kjerstad. 

Teams just aren’t really giving up impact position players in trades 

41 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Baltimore will not pay the price needed, don’t see any deal happening with them.

Agreed. I’d be very surprised by any Baltimore deal 

22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I actually haven’t heard anything. I just know that the Sox like Bishop Letson so I found it interesting. 

Teams just aren’t really giving up impact position players in trades 

Agreed. I’d be very surprised by any Baltimore deal 

We can't just keep collecting pitching.

We need to get impact position players. Not 2-3 45s and hope and pray one of them pans out. 

The idea that every GM that is in the thick of a playoff push, and needs cost controlled pitching and some of them might be worried about their job but  somehow every single one or almost every single one is going to say I'll give you a good pitching prospect but not a good position player of the same general quality is kind of a stretch. 

Do they break less frequently? Sure. Are many of these GMs going to go down with the ship at the deadline out of principle?

Prolly not.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

We need to get impact position players.

The idea that someone is in the thick of a playoff push, needs cost controlled pitching and might be worried about their job but is somehow going to say I'll give you a good pitching prospect but not a good position player of the same general quality is kind of a stretch. 

Do they break less frequently? Sure. Are they going to go down with the ship at the deadline out of principle?

Prolly not.

Can never have enough pitching.  Also, Sox can emphasize hitters in the draft and free agency next few years.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Can never have enough pitching.  Also, Sox can emphasize hitters in the draft and free agency next few years.

Perhaps that's why Harold is strongly saying they are in on Caglianone despite the 1B profile and implied he will be prolly be  the guy if he's there.

They need to get legit hitters not slap hitting garbage in quantity deals. If in fact teams aren't going to trade Top 100 bats (and I still don't believe that's totally true) then you gotta focus your draft on it in an overwhelming way. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Perhaps that's why Harold is strongly saying they are in on Caglionone despite the 1B profile and he will be the guy if he's there.

They need to get legit hitters not slap hitting garbage in quantity deals. If in fact teams aren't going to trade Top 100 bats (and I still don't believe that's totally true) then you gotta focus your draft on it in an overwhelming way. 

There’s more than one way to skin a cat

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

A lineup of limpdick singles hitters doesn't skin many cats.

In reference to acquiring the hitters that you so desire. There are multiples avenues to accomplish it, not just trades.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

In reference to acquiring the hitters that you so desire. There are multiples avenues to accomplish it, not just trades.

Ahh my bad, I thought you were advocating for Getz singles and speed beliefs.

How else will we acquire legit bats?

We're not going to spend a ton of money and where we spend it's not going to be high end bats, so it largely has to be trades or draft.

Even two FA bats will prolly be of the 12m-15m per year variety on relatively short deals...those usually aren't particularly good bats. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

We need to get impact position players. Not 2-3 45s and hope and pray one of them pans out. 

The idea that every GM that is in the thick of a playoff push, and needs cost controlled pitching and some of them might be worried about their job but  somehow every single one or almost every single one is going to say I'll give you a good pitching prospect but not a good position player of the same general quality is kind of a stretch. 

Do they break less frequently? Sure. Are many of these GMs going to go down with the ship at the deadline out of principle?

Prolly not.

I mean you can believe whatever you’d like. 

17 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Perhaps that's why Harold is strongly saying they are in on Caglianone despite the 1B profile and implied he will be prolly be  the guy if he's there.

He hasn’t implied that he’ll be the pick. The Sox have no idea who the pick will be right now. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Ahh my bad, I thought you were advocating for Getz singles and speed beliefs.

How else will we acquire legit bats?

We're not going to spend a ton of money and where we spend it's not going to be high end bats, so it largely has to be trades or draft.

Even two FA bats will prolly be of the 12m-15m per year variety on relatively short deals...those usually aren't particularly good bats. 

Depends on how you define legit bats? Is DeJong a legit bat? Is Pham a legit bat? I think those are the types of veterans we’ll be looking at in free agency and then they gotta hit on the next several drafts. Jac would be a good start in a few weeks.

23 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Depends on how you define legit bats? Is DeJong a legit bat? Is Pham a legit bat? I think those are the types of veterans we’ll be looking at in free agency and then they gotta hit on the next several drafts. Jac would be a good start in a few weeks.

If those are the type of bats we will be targeting in free agency, then we might as well fold up shop right now.  You can’t expect to fill half a lineup with dumpster dives and expect to be competitive.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

problem is the Sox cannot develop premium hitters to save their life, even CM has looked less than stellar in AAA, don't look at his slash line.

9 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

problem is the Sox cannot develop premium hitters to save their life, even CM has looked less than stellar in AAA, don't look at his slash line.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5419703/2024/04/17/mlb-free-agents-2024-2025-offseason/

Someone like Santander Tyler O'Neill Conforto Verdugo...that will be the limits of their price range.

HaSeong Kim would have been perfect to add three or four years ago but now it's too late.

Sasaki if posted from Japan will get somewhere in the $375-450 million range.

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And this is exactly why many Sox fans Don't see this as a playoff team for a really long time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Paul DeJong: 9BB, 82K, .283 OBP. Only the White Sox would think that's quality.

It is compared to the rest of their lineup.

20th out of 37...16th out of 22 qualified.

Basically close to average.  Certainly better than expected by most.

Luis Robert is the only other player along with Korey Lee close to that average or above status in the entire lineup.

Are the Sox realistically going to sign Kim, G.Torres, Adames etc. in FA?  Me thinks not likely.

Edited by caulfield12

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

And this is exactly why many Sox fans Don't see this as a playoff team for a really long time.

Bingo.  Honestly not seeing how we build a playoff quality line up in the next five years.  Even if we go heavy on position players in the next several drafts, by the time they get up to MLB and contribute, that’s 5+ years off.  We’d otherwise need a big name free agent or two to build around, and Colson to really pan out, but we all know they’re not going to spend the money on that.