Story on Sox trade possibilities...

Jim Bowden is on crack, apparently…

“Dodgers acquire CF Luis Robert Jr., LHP Garrett Crochet and RHP Michael Kopech from White Sox for RHP Nick Frasso, LHP Justin Wrobleski, RHP Kyle Hurt, RHP Payton Martin, C Dalton Rushing, OF Andy Pages and SS Emil Morales”

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

“Dodgers acquire CF Luis Robert Jr., LHP Garrett Crochet and RHP Michael Kopech from White Sox for RHP Nick Frasso, LHP Justin Wrobleski, RHP Kyle Hurt, RHP Payton Martin, C Dalton Rushing, OF Andy Pages and SS Emil Morales”

yucky

31 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think that's far too much from BAL. But would absolutely do BAL and CLE here.  I still would like a better headliner for Robert and don't love Crawford for his lack of power and terrible bb/K rate.  I'd pass on this PHI deal.

Crochet is incredibly hard to value, but the dude is on pace for a six win season and actually looks the part.  The only things holding back his value are general health concerns and an innings limit than year.  If you actually believe he can hold up, he’s a $100M+ surplus value guy even if restricted at some point this year.  For the package I proposed, I’d value Basallo around $60M, Beaver around $30M, and Baumeister around $10M.  If you look at the O’s system, it is incredibly top heavy and there is not a realistic path to a Crochet trade without one of Basallo, Mayo, or Kjerstad.  I went with Basallo simply because he’s the farthest away (although not by much) and doesn’t fill an immediate hole.

The Robert trade to me comes down to if you believe in Miller.  He’s shot up to 21st overall on BA’s Top 100 list and seems like a legit 60 FV guy to me.  Pair him with Basallo, Montgomery, and a bat at 1-5 and you suddenly have a group of high ceiling / high floor bats that you build around with alongside others like Quero, Ramos, Gonzalez, the three OFs acquired in these trades, etc.  Crawford is probably a bit polarizing given his value is still tied to a lot of projection, but I’m willing to gamble on the athleticism and hopefully some power eventually resulting into a good everyday CF.  And Abel is a buy low type that I could see Bannister being highly interested in (assuming health isn’t the reason for his problems this year) based on the rumored Texan proposal for Cease.  It’s not the Juan Soto package, but I don’t see many teams who can (or will) offer a 60 FV prospect alongside two other 55 to 50 FV guys.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, T R U said:

I would want Miller (55), Crawford (55), and Caba (55) from Philly for Robert.

I would want Mayo (55), Beavers (50), and McDermott (50) from Baltimore.

I would want Chourio (55) from Cleveland.

That kind of haul would go a long way to rebuilding this dumpster fire.

I love me some Mayo, but went with Basallo because he’s lefty and there is still a non-zero chance he can play a premium position.  But I wouldn’t be against your proposal in the slightest.

24 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Is Shohei a player to be named later? Otherwise...

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Not hindsight at all.  I remember numerous posters specifically calling the Maldonado and Lopez signings terrible wastes of money when they happened.  Also, that Brebbia was a bit too pricey for a team that was going to be awful either way.  Play young players in a season you know you are going to be non-competitive.  Don’t sign garbage re-treads unless they are cheap and you think they are flippable.  Maldonado and Lopez were never going to be those guys.  Getz didn’t even stick to his supposed plan of bringing up prospects slowly so it was all BS anyways.  Improved defense for the rotation — yeah, that worked out well.

But I guess we should all be excited that Getz got one or two signings right in his offseason and ignore all the many more awful acquisitions.  You have very low expectations.

I had very realistic expectations which was exactly what happened. Of course when you dumpster dive you are going to have everyone complaining and it hasn't stopped. It appears your expectations were too high and unrealistic even though we all knew they would be terrible again this year.

"Don't sign garbage retreads unless you think they are flippable ?"

Do you even think before you write something like that ? Garbage retreads are garbage and the ones they got in trades or signed 75% of them likely weren't going to be tradable. It was painfully obvious that was the plan. I pointed it out to you in January. Take chances and maybe a few will work out and the others will save the young guys some innings. Especially the young arms.  Fedde and Crochet worked out. Grossman worked out. Pham will bring something. DeJong too. Who else is a toss up.

Brebbia had a decent career and relief pitchers are always a commodity at the deadline . They needed some major league talent that had a better than 50/50 chance of being flipped. He and Wilson were those guys. He can wait on Wilson when he pitches better . They have time on him.

They lost their 2 best defenders for major amounts of time Robert and Moncada. DeJong has hit better but maybe fielded worse than expected. I remember a poster who said Fedde sucks. Posters always crap on low priced signings . That's the nature of those transactions. To continuously crap on the crap that we all knew had a high chance of being crap for months prior to the start of the season isn't particularly a news flash.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What would a Dodgers trade for both Robert and Crochet even look like?

Oh they'll try to throw Pages, Outman and Luz in there with a couple of good prospects and a couple of lower guys.
Not what the Sox are looking for (I hope).

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Oh they'll try to throw Pages, Outman and Luz in there with a couple of good prospects and a couple of lower guys.
Not what the Sox are looking for (I hope).

Lux has been a big disappointment...and they're still not moving him back to SS.  It's not like Rojas is a premium value player, either.   And playing Vargas (another former infielder) mostly in LF, with k***/Taylor filling in everywhere as super utility guys.

Anyone else see the recent article saying we’ve had a heavy scout presence for dodgers, Seattle, and San Diego?

Seems like we’re looking at those teams.

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Gerrit Cole looks broken still. Was awful tonight. Add the Yankees to the mix?

Depends how they’re assessing Cole and Rodon’s most recent disastrous starts.

Obviously BALT has pitching problems of their own to overcome now.

Edited by caulfield12

28 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Anyone else see the recent article saying we’ve had a heavy scout presence for dodgers, Seattle, and San Diego?

Seems like we’re looking at those teams.

Padres looking at Pham (maybe) and Fedde/Flexen/Kopech.

4 hours ago, hi8is said:

Nothing dumber than an ex-GM with a mic.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Depends how they’re assessing Cole and Rodon’s most recent disastrous starts.

Obviously BALT has pitching problems of their own to overcome now.

I think Baltimore is going to be an interesting case study 5 years from now when many try to figure out how that team never made it to the World Series.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Lux has been a big disappointment...and they're still not moving him back to SS.  It's not like Rojas is a premium value player, either.   And playing Vargas (another former infielder) mostly in LF, with k***/Taylor filling in everywhere as super utility guys.

After their first 3, the Dodgers lineup is less than Daunting. Of course, they're missing 2 of their big guns this series.

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

Take either Crochet or Robert out and we can talk.  Also less pitching,  more position players.

42 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think Baltimore is going to be an interesting case study 5 years from now when many try to figure out how that team never made it to the World Series.

The White Sox already crafted that case study based on their last failed 5-year rebuild, all while being in the weakest division in baseball.  Meanwhile, the Orioles are in the best.  There is no comparison.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The White Sox already crafted that case study based on their last failed 5-year rebuild, all while being in the weakest division in baseball.  Meanwhile, the Orioles are in the best.  There is no comparison.

Toronto and SD as well…

29 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I disagree. The Orioles are much more of a sure thing to win a World Series over the next few years according to the pundits than the Sox ever were.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I disagree. The Orioles are much more of a sure thing to win a World Series over the next few years according to the pundits than the Sox ever were.

I remember World Series expectations from the Sox first rebuild, but they died out when Jerry didn’t want to pay Machado or Harper and the Sox ended up with Keuchel instead of Wheeler.

In any case, the Orioles have a much tougher path to get there.  The AL Central is a joke compared to the AL East.

• Haha 1

And the Orioles are on the verge of getting swept at home by the weakest division leader in mlb. And I love how everyone fawns over the AL East and yet that division has made less World Series appearances over the last 10 years than the worst division in MLB, the AL Central.

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

I remember World Series expectations from the Sox first rebuild, but they died out when Jerry didn’t want to pay Machado or Harper and the Sox ended up with Keuchel instead of Wheeler.

In any case, the Orioles have a much tougher path to get there.  The AL Central is a joke compared to the AL East.

See post above. AL East is perennially overrated. All they do is choke in the playoffs these days. This isn’t the early 2000s.

• Like 1

Speaking of which, the AL West is perennially underrated in recent years. All they do is advance ALCS winners most years. Of course most of that was the Astros but then we had the Rangers last year (who had to beat the Astros in the ALCS in an all AL West matchup to win the WS).

• Fire 1

On 6/12/2024 at 7:32 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, and I wouldn't blame him.  They jacked around with him and his future for 4 years now.  Unless we front him a decent amount over what he would get in arbitration the next two years, I have yet to see a contract idea that matches his and the Sox considerations.

I love the way we are all so realistically negative about our Sox. The peeps on this board would have to be considered in the top 5 percent of Sox fans since we care enuf to talk about them every day instead of a complete divorce from them. And all of the top 5 percent cept for maybe one person or two on here are very very negative about the team. Jerry should be very very embarrassed. You are not fooling anybody Jerry. The fans know your organization is one of the worst.