Story on Sox trade possibilities...

Random thoughts, but I’m starting to feel very optimistic about White Sox trade possibilities.  I really think Robert ultimately gets traded to the Phillies.  It is just a perfect match for so many reasons with a package likely centered around Aiden Miller.  Fedde is going to land a legit 50 FV prospect plus a nice secondary piece from a small club who needs a potential playoff starter on the cheap.  And it’s all but a certainty Crochet gets dealt for a haul if he can hang in there for another four weeks.  I was very skeptical teams would meet the ask given the innings concern, but sounds like in this market that won’t matter.  There is real hope right now and Getz needs to deliver.

• Like 1

Here’s a sobering fact: only one pitcher has had Tommy John surgery and made the baseball HOF...

"That one pitcher was John Smoltz. No one else has made it including the man for which the procedure was named after.

Chris Sale was certainly on a Hall of Fame track and now he almost assuredly won’t come close to making it. We know that the median TJ pitcher only pitches 130 innings the rest of his career post surgery. And Sale is older than the median."

Justin Verlander will be the second.

Crochet all the way up to 94.3 IP as of today...having averaged 94.4 pitches over 91 85 102 91 and 103 his last five starts.

Sox should start limiting him to 5 IP to preserve him as much as possible and also due to increasing heat/summer humidity wearing him down.

Still would keep him on regular schedule and knock pitch counts down to a much more teasonable 65-80ish range.

The Brewers are thin on pitching with all the injuries, and you can add Jared Koenig to the list with a forearm.  Koenig came out of nowhere and is dealing, typical Brewer magic.

I see Fedde as the perfect fit for Milwaukee. The Brewers are cheap so Fedde fits right in.

I keep going back and forth in my mind as to whether we should trade Crochet and Robert.  I guess when the Sox play reasonably well, I want to keep them.   And when we get blown out, I want to trade them.
Accordingly, I'm leaning toward keeping them, with the understanding that we'll probably have to trade them next year at this time.  I'm not convinced that their value will be depreciated much, if at all, given Crochet's innings limitations (perceived or real) this year and Robert's injuries and the possible Pedro effect on wanting to get rid of Robert (Pedro needs a pristine clubhouse with lots of Nicky Lopez').
What are the chances of the Sox finding another hitter like Robert in a dispersal trade?  
Brebbia is pitching himself into the July trade conversation.  Pretty good numbers.

(Montgomery Quero Ramos Ja. Gonzalez) Wolkow Ro.Hernandez Wilfred Veras

Baldwin Elko Zavala

With the normal Sox bust rate, we would be quite successful with just TWO 2-3 fWAR/bWAR starters from this above list.  Three would be absolutely outstanding….considering the falloff after the top tier.

That gives you Lee/Quero, 2/3rd’s of the left side and middle infield spots, Vaughn/Sheets…and the need for 3-4 more impact hitters from almost the entire outfield and DH since we know Benintendi isn't going anywhere at this rate.  Likely a plus defensive SS, even those guys under 30 are going to cost $75-125 million.

So THREE absolute young studs…the equivalent of Robert Moncada Jimenez in 2019.

Or two $150-250 million caliber FAs if the hitting talent doesn't come through via trade. At least one as the anchor/linchpin.

Lots of room for skepticism…watching Sosa Colas Fletcher DeLoach, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Random thoughts, but I’m starting to feel very optimistic about White Sox trade possibilities.  I really think Robert ultimately gets traded to the Phillies.  It is just a perfect match for so many reasons with a package likely centered around Aiden Miller.  Fedde is going to land a legit 50 FV prospect plus a nice secondary piece from a small club who needs a potential playoff starter on the cheap.  And it’s all but a certainty Crochet gets dealt for a haul if he can hang in there for another four weeks.  I was very skeptical teams would meet the ask given the innings concern, but sounds like in this market that won’t matter.  There is real hope right now and Getz needs to deliver.

The Sox are run by idiots. No idea why you think those guys trading proven mlb stars for young players THEY have highly rated is worthy of optimism. I'd be optimistic if they signed crochet to a 5 year extension instead of trading him. 

Sadly, sounds like crochet is 100% gone because he wasn't in the same ballpark as cheap-o-sox.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

According to Bob, the White Sox did have extension talks with Crochet that didn’t go very far, and they will trade him by the deadline.

If they are going to Sell high, Sell high for corner OF bats with pop.

Edited by DFAthewave69420
Typo

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox are run by idiots. No idea why you think those guys trading proven mlb stars for young players THEY have highly rated is worthy of optimism. I'd be optimistic if they signed crochet to a 5 year extension instead of trading him. 

Sadly, sounds like crochet is 100% gone because he wasn't in the same ballpark as cheap-o-sox.

Serious question. In the climate of how pitching is basically dropping like flies and constantly being hurt, and with his injury track record already - why would you be comfortable with signing him long term? He has looked great, which is why you should move him before he doesn’t. Look at Rodon.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

39 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I’ve said before I’d prefer extending Crochet over trading him.  But let’s be honest, Reinsdorf is gonna Jerry and refuse to take on any risk when it comes to pitching.  Anyways, my point of optimism is regarding the market.  Getz is a big wild card and could botch it, but at least the demand and the right GMs should be in the mix this deadline.  The potential to execute a transformative series of trades is very much possible if managed correctly.

• Fire 1

From aforementioned Bob article.

The Chicago White Sox quietly engaged in brief contract extension talks with ace Garrett Crochet, but with no optimism towards reaching an agreement, the White Sox intend to trade him by the July 30 trade deadline.

The White Sox have had 15 teams calling to express interest in Crochet, who is making just $800,000 and is under team control through 2026. The X-factor for suitors will be determining just how much Crochet can help them in the pennant stretch and October.

He has already pitched 94 ⅓ innings as a first-year starter, 21 more than his entire career total entering the season, and the White Sox and Crochet already have a firm plan in place to greatly limit his workload in the second half.

It’s quite possible that a team acquiring Crochet may have to offer a contract extension for him to lift those innings restrictions in the second half because of the potential of an injury risk.

– The Los Angeles Dodgers have already made an offer to the White Sox for Crochet, but it was quickly rejected. The White Sox have informed teams they are seeking young prospects with enormous upside.

– The White Sox have had several teams also contact them about center fielder Luis Robert Jr., but with his struggles, they are considering hanging onto him into at least the winter since he’s under control through 2027.

– The White Sox are openly shopping outfielder Andrew Benintendi, and would love to get out of his contract. He’s still owed nearly $50 million from 2025-2027.

Edited by DirtySox

53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve said before I’d prefer extending Crochet over trading him.  But let’s be honest, Reinsdorf is gonna Jerry and refuse to take on any risk when it comes to pitching.  Anyways, my point of optimism is regarding the market.  Getz is a big wild card and could botch it, but at least the demand and the right GMs should be in the mix this deadline.  The potential to execute a transformative series of trades is very much possible if managed correctly.

I’m in the boat that is fine extending him, but more of the team-friendly variety. Idk if I’d gamble $25M+ a year on his health. And knowing Jerry, he won’t either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

From aforementioned Bob article.

It’s quite possible that a team acquiring Crochet may have to offer a contract extension for him to lift those innings restrictions in the second half because of the potential of an injury risk.

Seem to remember getting pounced on ... for thinking the same exact way other front offices might be thinking with wanting an extension baked in to mitigate rather than add to the risk.

59 minutes ago, pcq said:

I do not see Robert bringing a big return. Has not lived up to expectations. Next. 

Sure.  But is it 50 60 or 75 cents on the open market in terms of  of instant position player impact?

At a premium spot in the OF?

Those guys don't exactly grow on trees anymore.

Boy would I love to be a fly on the wall for any Crochet trade discussions/proposals. The sheer amount of teams that should be interested, on top of his unique situation of already being at a career high on innings. So much to chew through.

Don't f*** this up Chris.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I keep going back and forth in my mind as to whether we should trade Crochet and Robert.  I guess when the Sox play reasonably well, I want to keep them.   And when we get blown out, I want to trade them.
Accordingly, I'm leaning toward keeping them, with the understanding that we'll probably have to trade them next year at this time.  I'm not convinced that their value will be depreciated much, if at all, given Crochet's innings limitations (perceived or real) this year and Robert's injuries and the possible Pedro effect on wanting to get rid of Robert (Pedro needs a pristine clubhouse with lots of Nicky Lopez').
What are the chances of the Sox finding another hitter like Robert in a dispersal trade?  
Brebbia is pitching himself into the July trade conversation.  Pretty good numbers.

What kind of hitter is Robert, exactly?