Story on Sox trade possibilities...

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Bo Jackson was a shadow of his former self after the hip replacement surgery.  More for his veteran presence, club house chemistry and Auburn connection with the Big Hurt.

Either way, it makes no sense to bring in a star player from the outside when the rest of the team is crap.

With possible inning limits and injury history, the White Sox may be better off trading Crochet during this offseason.  There is a perceived notion that teams overpay during TDL, but this really has not been the case for controlled contracts.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

With possible inning limits and injury history, the White Sox may be better off trading Crochet during this offseason.  There is a perceived notion that teams overpay during TDL, but this really has not been the case for controlled contracts.  

I agree with this, though not sure the deals are “worse” at deadline just harder to materialize. 

I have a hard time with trading Crochet. It’s insane how good he’s been.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

An extension would be all about risk motivation from the acquiring bigger market teams...they (Sox) were never going to pitch him like Rodon in 2021, knowing he was out the door.  Unless they were insane.

Getz has to do everything possible to maximize the return on Crochet and Robert.

Anything else is management malpractice.

What the heck is risk motivation ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What the heck is risk motivation ?

Mitigation…or tolerance.   He’s essentially another equivalent of Glasnow.

Meaning even a second TJS doesn’t mean Crochet can’t come back just like Cole Ragans did with KC after the Aroldis Chapman trade w/ Texas.

Except that doesn’t work at all if he gets hurt early in 2025.

9 hours ago, JoeC said:

It was worth signing someone like him because the rest of the team was, you know, good.

You need to have a good core. Not just 2 or 3 good players.

Chicken and egg theory. Seems to me the Sox are re$igned to never being elite again. Thank$ Jerry.

7 hours ago, bmags said:

I have a hard time with trading Crochet. It’s insane how good he’s been.

White Sox tanker Math (which by the way is loser mentality in life): Obtain/develop two of the best players/prospects in baseball (Crochet, Robert). Then get rid of them and field a team with a whole lotta Lopez'es, Maldy's and Phams.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 2

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

White Sox tanker Math (which by the way is loser mentality in life): Obtain/develop two of the best players/prospects in baseball (Crochet, Robert). Then get rid of them and field a team with a whole lotta Lopez'es, Maldy's and Phams.

Again things have a realistic chance of being different when new ownership arrives.

Until then, you and I, and the heavens above, know nothing will change JR's operating philosophy.

As Kenny Williams once said, "It is what it is..."

• Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I mean the counter is "white sox non-tanker math": obtain/develop two of the best players/prospects in baseball, then surround them with a whole lotta lopez's, maldy's and phams

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Chicken and egg theory. Seems to me the Sox are re$igned to never being elite again. Thank$ Jerry.

Sure, but 3 chickens at the expense of 15 eggs?

it is far cheaper to properly develop 15 eggs into reasonably prices chickens than to pay for 3 chickens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

I mean the counter is "white sox non-tanker math": obtain/develop two of the best players/prospects in baseball, then surround them with a whole lotta lopez's, maldy's and phams

At what point do we stop? When suddenly we have so much talent we win every game, every series? Let's say we trade Crochet for four Orioles prospects. Some of those guys may be close to being ready for the bigs, very close. So if one or two rake, do we then deal them for more prospects? Then if one of them excel, do we trade that guy? So suddenly the Sox are smarter than everybody and have acquired voila a WS dynasty? Oh wait, we had a chance to build on a great team in 2005 and did not.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

57 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Great logic since we have Crochet and Robert and we still have all of the Lopez, Moldy, Phams of the world we can handle.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

26 minutes ago, greg775 said:

At what point do we stop? When suddenly we have so much talent we win every game, every series? Let's say we trade Crochet for four Orioles prospects. Some of those guys may be close to being ready for the bigs, very close. So if one or two rake, do we then deal them for more prospects? Then if one of them excel, do we trade that guy? So suddenly the Sox are smarter than everybody and have acquired voila a WS dynasty? Oh wait, we had a chance to build on a great team in 2005 and did not.

When we develop enough players through a quality minor league system to be able to confidently transition to winning.

Basically where the org thought we were in 2020 ~ 2021.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

21 minutes ago, JoeC said:

When we develop enough players through a quality minor league system to be able to confidently transition to winning.

Basically where the org thought we were in 2020 ~ 2021.

Yeah the idea is to get actual depth so an injury (or in this core's case, injuries) don't absolutely kill you. Hahn had absolutely. nothing behind any of these guys. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Yeah the idea is to get actual depth so an injury (or in this core's case, injuries) don't absolutely kill you. Hahn had absolutely. nothing behind any of these guys. 

Absolutely correct and may I add the only way a real good minor league system is going to be developed is when new ownership arrives that is willing to spend money on it and to bring in the best possible instructors and scouts. 

History shows that isn't JR.

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Absolutely correct and may I add the only way a real good minor league system is going to be developed is when new ownership arrives that is willing to spend money on it and to bring in the best possible instructors and scouts. 

The Sox have a good thing going presently in the minors, the Cannon Ballers and Barons are rolling. 

24 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

The Sox have a good thing going presently in the minors, the Cannon Ballers and Barons are rolling. 

They certainly seem to have the pitching side of things figured out. Lots a great performances and development going on in the lower levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Dude, it never stops. That's the business of baseball. Even a team that isn't tanking or rebuilding that has a player headed for FA, and they are not in the playoff race will trade off the assets that are out the door. If we're contending, we add. If we're not going to make it, we dump off the jetsam. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I respect you for your consistent angst/anger/displeasure regarding Jerry. I do. I hope u respect my anger/angst/displeasure at this new Sox mandate of losing losing losing every year under the guise of a 'rebuild.' ... I'd buy into your JR argument, but he's had the best doctors in life. He may live 15 more years for gosh sakes.

39 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Dude, it never stops. That's the business of baseball. Even a team that isn't tanking or rebuilding that has a player headed for FA, and they are not in the playoff race will trade off the assets that are out the door. If we're contending, we add. If we're not going to make it, we dump off the jetsam. 

The problem is we in the interim 'add' your Lopezes, Phams, Maldys and the plethora of guys we've acquired to try in RF the past several seasons.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm still hoping that the White Sox surprise us and sign Crochet to a long term contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The problem is we in the interim 'add' your Lopezes, Phams, Maldys and the plethora of guys we've acquired to try in RF the past several seasons.

You need guys to run and get the ball when the other team hits it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Thome Javy V.

Didn't go as planned..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I respect you for your consistent angst/anger/displeasure regarding Jerry. I do. I hope u respect my anger/angst/displeasure at this new Sox mandate of losing losing losing every year under the guise of a 'rebuild.' ... I'd buy into your JR argument, but he's had the best doctors in life. He may live 15 more years for gosh sakes.

If that's the case then you outlive him.

Seriously what else can you do?

Again for the 1,000th time. JR is NOT changing his ways. I hate the way things have basically gone since 2007 but he isn't going to change and the only thing possible is to get a lot of young cheap talent and hope it works out for once.

Until new ownership arrives nothing substantial is going to change with the organization.

The sooner you accept that reality the easier it will become. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Thome Javy V.

Didn't go as planned..

I'll add onto that... we tried adding players using our limited prospect capital basically until 2016.

When Hahn determined that the cupboards were bare, he got approval to tear it down. He did a great job of stocking the high end of the system, but the org did a horrible job at developing that high-end talent (the bats, especially, just performed to their floor). At the risk of triggering another WestEddy-ss0k5 war of words, we also did a s%*# job at developing ANY talent, especially on offense, so the bottom completely fell out when we suffered any sort of injury or loss at the big league level.

• Like 1