Story on Sox trade possibilities...

29 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

DFAing Benny is the best outcome. But if JR doesn't want to pay another player, even the minimum, while he pays a LFer to play for someone else, then just DH him during what will be another losing season. If he could get back to what he was with the Yankees with a little bit more of this year's power, that's less painful to pay $17m for than what we're getting now. Stop the defensive bleeding, somehow. 

They have to give guys like Colas Sosa Baldwin Elko Ramos and Sosa some of those at-bats.

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

DFAing Benny is the best outcome. But if JR doesn't want to pay another player, even the minimum, while he pays a LFer to play for someone else, then just DH him during what will be another losing season. If he could get back to what he was with the Yankees with a little bit more of this year's power, that's less painful to pay $17m for than what we're getting now. Stop the defensive bleeding, somehow. 

I get the Jim Mora vibes,  DFA?  DFA?  If they won't even move him out of the 2 hole or give him a day off, how can you talk about DFA?

Now maybe they are giving their last gasps of trying to dress him up and make him somewhat palatable as part of a trade.  But after July 30, he's got to sit.  

Eloy  too.  He should be DFAd after July 30.

Colas needs to play.  Julks needs to play - heck, he had 2 hits in his last game, and he hasn't played in a week.  It's ridiculous.  They've got a lot of players they need to see.

And where's Soroka?  He's looked good lately, but hasn't pitched since Sunday.   He didn't even pitch in what I assume was Pedro's idea of a  bullpen game yesterday,

14 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I get the Jim Mora vibes,  DFA?  DFA?  If they won't even move him out of the 2 hole or give him a day off, how can you talk about DFA?

Now maybe they are giving their last gasps of trying to dress him up and make him somewhat palatable as part of a trade.  But after July 30, he's got to sit.  

Colas needs to play.  Julks needs to play - heck, he had 2 hits in his last game, and he hasn't played in a week.  It's ridiculous.  They've got a lot of players they need to see.

And where's Soroka?  He's looked good lately, but hasn't pitched since Sunday.   He didn't even pitch in what I assume was Pedro's idea of a  bullpen game yesterday,

Benny's basically in a platoon with Julks. Julks should play more. Maybe go towards more of a 50/50 with Julks and Benny after the TDL if nobody bites. If Sheets isn't traded, I could see them going towards more of a 50/50 between sheets and Eloy. I doubt they DFA him. I could see it being a courtesy to Eloy and Yoan, giving them a showcase to show the FA market they're playable. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The bolded IS my position categorically because THERE IS NO OTHER VIABLE WAY OUT.

Again JR isn't changing his operating philosophy.

No top shelf free agents

No long term deals for pitchers

No negotiating with certain agents

Fiscal responsibility when it comes to team payroll

Do you want me to go on?????????????????????

The first rebuild failed because guys constantly were injured AND this is often overlooked JR REFUSED to finish the deal. They had little depth, did not get the franchise changing player (Machado/Harper) and over ruled his front office to bring in TLR.

He thinks his way is the right way, history shows it isn't but that simply doesn't register with him.

So what can you do?

1. Outlive current ownership

2. Break out those VHS tapes and DVD of Sox games/highlights from better seasons

3. Do EXACTLY what they are doing now, trading anybody worth a damn for prospects and "hope" they can develop and turn the franchise around

That's all I've got.  

Yep.. just like the rebuild led by Hahn/KW from 2017-2019.  And when they finally had enough prospects graduate to the main roster, instead of rounding out the team with superstars and bringing in a legit manager, Jerry put his foot down and said you cannot spend over X amount of dollars!! Pretty lame since the Sox saved $100-$150 million on cheap payrolls from 2017-2019. So Hahn was forced to only bring in “B” level free agents. And Jerry also put his foot down, overstepped Hahn to hire his BFF manager Tony LaRussa. 

Getz can likely bring in wonderful, legit prospects who can truly contribute to the future White Sox teams. This rebuild will likely last from 2024-2026. These teams will have super low payrolls. Saving Jerry and the board millions of $$ (Again!!) However, we know the drill. The Sox will be knocking on the door in 2027 to be a legit team. They’ll have a few holes and there will be legit superstars available via free agency, and a 92 year old Jerry will once again put his foot down, forcing Getz to bring in the B level free agents and he will hire his own manager again. Any chance they can bring Jeff Torborg back to life? 

11 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Benintendi has failed so miserably they are going to make him an Assistant GM soon

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

Sox aren't going to DFA Benintendi right now.  Jerry won't eat 3 1/2 years of a contract and he's not blocking anyone.

Pham and Sheets are blocking Colas if you want to say that.  But they should be gone at the deadline hopefully

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreatScott82 said:

Yep.. just like the rebuild led by Hahn/KW from 2017-2019.  And when they finally had enough prospects graduate to the main roster, instead of rounding out the team with superstars and bringing in a legit manager, Jerry put his foot down and said you cannot spend over X amount of dollars!! Pretty lame since the Sox saved $100-$150 million on cheap payrolls from 2017-2019. So Hahn was forced to only bring in “B” level free agents. And Jerry also put his foot down, overstepped Hahn to hire his BFF manager Tony LaRussa. 

Getz can likely bring in wonderful, legit prospects who can truly contribute to the future White Sox teams. This rebuild will likely last from 2024-2026. These teams will have super low payrolls. Saving Jerry and the board millions of $$ (Again!!) However, we know the drill. The Sox will be knocking on the door in 2027 to be a legit team. They’ll have a few holes and there will be legit superstars available via free agency, and a 92 year old Jerry will once again put his foot down, forcing Getz to bring in the B level free agents and he will hire his own manager again. Any chance they can bring Jeff Torborg back to life? 

Just FYI,  Jeff is alive and well.

Speak with him every few months.

I can tell you this, he is baseball sharper right now at his age than Grifol is, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just FYI,  Jeff is alive and well.

Speak with him every few months.

I can tell you this, he is baseball sharper right now at his age than Grifol is, that's for sure. 

His Wikipedia page says this:

”Torborg has Parkinson's disease and no longer signs autographs.”

Terrible if true.  My uncle passed away recently after Parkinson’s took away his will to live, but it was advanced by that point.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They have to give guys like Colas Sosa Baldwin Elko Ramos and Sosa some of those at-bats.

Not counting guys they'll acquire at this year's TDL, Sosa, Baldwin and Ramos can all fit in the infield next year. I think Elko's a way off, but if they move Vaughn and Sheets, 1B is his to lose. Julks/DeLoach platoon in LF, and Fletcher/Colas can share CF/RF. Perhaps a trade piece is ready to take CF. Benny can DH, platoon with the UI and 5th OF. There's lots of room on the 2025 White Sox. 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Not counting guys they'll acquire at this year's TDL, Sosa, Baldwin and Ramos can all fit in the infield next year. I think Elko's a way off, but if they move Vaughn and Sheets, 1B is his to lose. Julks/DeLoach platoon in LF, and Fletcher/Colas can share CF/RF. Perhaps a trade piece is ready to take CF. Benny can DH, platoon with the UI and 5th OF. There's lots of room on the 2025 White Sox. 

Elko is likely just a career minor leaguer.  He’ll turn 26 in the offseason and he strikes out at a 30%+ rate.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Elko is likely just a career minor leaguer.  He’ll turn 26 in the offseason and he strikes out at a 30%+ rate.

Regardless, if he doesn't crash and burn in AAA or even spring training, he'll probably get a shot.

If Lenyn Sosa can fog a mirror with a major league average .750 OPS, I think 1B is a possible destination to park him for a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Are you trying to get me to start drinking heavily this afternoon? That is a sad group to envision there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I would also think that a 1B/DH type needs to really rake in the minors  - at least .900 OPS.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

His Wikipedia page says this:

”Torborg has Parkinson's disease and no longer signs autographs.”

Terrible if true.  My uncle passed away recently after Parkinson’s took away his will to live, but it was advanced by that point.

Yea his right arm is incapable of signing but he now does it with his left hand. (That's how I got mine)

He works out regularly and is taking his medication. Both he and Susie (his wife) are doing well. Sold the beach house in N.J. and now live full time in Sarasota. 

Wonderful guy to speak with, has terrific stories about his days with the Sox especially the 1990 season, catching Koufax and Ryan, Willie Mays, his days with the Dodgers and the time Koufax and Clemente went nose to nose before a game at Dodger Stadium. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Well that was pathetic.  Did they even get a hit after the 3rd inning?

They had their 2 good innings out of Soroka; no reason to push it further.  And if he's a "long reliever" well they didn't even use it him in Thursday's bullpen game.  Context Pedro:  these relievers are all on audition.
Anderson's pitched in 3/4 games. Pedro usually doesn't even pitch them back-to back.

Edited by GreenSox

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Well that was pathetic.  Did they even get a hit after the 3rd inning?

They had their 2 good innings out of Soroka; no reason to push it further.  And if he's a "long reliever" well they didn't even use it him in Thursday's bullpen game.  Context Pedro:  these relievers are all on audition.
Anderson's pitched in 3/4 games. Pedro usually doesn't even pitch them back-to back.

Sir, this is a trade thread.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Yea his right arm is incapable of signing but he now does it with his left hand. (That's how I got mine)

He works out regularly and is taking his medication. Both he and Susie (his wife) are doing well. Sold the beach house in N.J. and now live full time in Sarasota. 

Wonderful guy to speak with, has terrific stories about his days with the Sox especially the 1990 season, catching Koufax and Ryan, Willie Mays, his days with the Dodgers and the time Koufax and Clemente went nose to nose before a game at Dodger Stadium. 

I’m glad he’s alive! Sad about his Parkinson’s though. :( He was the manager of one of my favorite childhood White Sox teams ever in 1990. Didn’t he also get Ozzie Guillen into coaching as well down in Miami? He was a really good manager from what I remember. 

4 hours ago, GreatScott82 said:

I’m glad he’s alive! Sad about his Parkinson’s though. :( He was the manager of one of my favorite childhood White Sox teams ever in 1990. Didn’t he also get Ozzie Guillen into coaching as well down in Miami? He was a really good manager from what I remember. 

he did get Ozzie into coaching and he was a fine manager in my opinion.