Story on Sox trade possibilities...

1 hour ago, almagest said:

I'd be ok with getting guys like Samuel Zavala back as the second/third piece, then. Build up that next wave of position players. They could also use some of their lesser pieces (like DeJong) to try to get players they project for 2-3 WAR from teams that have some of those types blocked. The Fletcher and DeLoach trades are decent examples, just pick better players please.

I know he's young, toolsy and on an aggressive assignment in W-S, but if we're targeting the Zavala's of the world, make that the 4th piece.

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep.  Hindsight of course, but it’s very easy to argue that Cease was traded too early and Robert is now being shopped too late (after his big healthy season).  But there’s still plenty of time for Robert to recoup his trade value.  He just needs to stay healthy and hit well for a good long stretch.

Eh, there is no need to hurry into a deal.  Learn a lesson from Rick Hahn who sold quickly when he got the offers he wanted for Sale and Eaton, but waiting until the ante was upped for Jose Quintana.  Patience young padawin.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Eh, there is no need to hurry into a deal.  Learn a lesson from Rick Hahn who sold quickly when he got the offers he wanted for Sale and Eaton, but waiting until the ante was upped for Jose Quintana.  Patience young padawin.

Say what you want about Hahn, that Eaton deal is the deal that keeps on giving. He turned Santiago into several positive season of Eaton (plus one epic fight). Then he turned Eaton into several good years of Giolito, some good times with ReyLo, half a season of Dunning, then Dunning into Lance Lynn then when it's all going down he turns the refuse into Quero, Bush, and at least partial credit for Leasure and Nastrini. Even if all three pitchers end up in the 'pen, this is a win.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the Orioles want to give up a package headlined by Holliday and Kjerstad,where does Chris Getz sign?

Eaton equivalent would be something headlined by Miller and Painter.

(This is obviously going off the very scientific Top 100 rankings)

28 minutes ago, Quin said:

I know he's young, toolsy and on an aggressive assignment in W-S, but if we're targeting the Zavala's of the world, make that the 4th piece.

For Crochet or Robert, sure. For other guys he's probably a second piece.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

If the Orioles want to give up a package headlined by Holliday and Kjerstad,where does Chris Getz sign?

Eaton equivalent would be something headlined by Miller and Painter.

(This is obviously going off the very scientific Top 100 rankings)

I mean if someone is willing to pony up today, drive him to the airport.  But if you don't you have some time to get into that window.

12 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Colas is one of the worst players I've ever watched. Does nothing well

I think if you trade Crochet - you probably want a high end pitching prospect and a high end bat plus two other solid prospects. 

Same goes for Robert. I would also try to get some international slot and draft picks in these deals - seems like teams are more willing to ocassional give that up so take advantage of it. 

17 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

And by running scared in the Cease deal we took less than we should have.

This is the kind of thinking that ends up getting you nothing when u really really need to capitalize on your talent because you don't have much of it. His last year hurt his value.

Hold him and he underperforms or gets hit by a line drive and the package gets severely lessened. What you call running scared is at least you're taking advantage of his top availability and his health while he still has it. At least his Cy Youngish type year  was still fresh but was closing in on its expiration date because of his 2023. You start off 2024 with under performance and now 2022 really starts looking like an outlier.

If you're basing  taking less than we should have on personal opinion so be it but I didn't see a lot of criticism of the trade anywhere but here.

Look what we thought about the Burnes package. We laughed at Ortiz as a decent piece in a Cease trade. That trade got criticized much more harshly because Burnes had a longer track record of success.

Didn't we have a poll here grading the Cease trade ? I mean if you want to support your opinion with some well known analyst criticizing the trade similar to your opinion feel free. I'll listen. Can't remember the grades in the poll but plenty were pissed we weren't getting bats and despite the pitcher of the year award for Thorpe not many were impressed with his stuff until the initial backlash got backlashed back by people actually doing some research into Thorpe, Iritate and Zavala.

Hey and Thorpe and Iriarte didn't suck coming into our system. Zavala hasn't been all that but younger equals more volatile but pretty decent upside and yada about development not linear .

Treating the Cease trade as running scared I could characterized holding him into the season as reckless. But of course you now have the benefit of seeing the results of his 2024. You put him back on the mound for the 2024 White Sox it could have turned out real bad. Just because he is pitching well for San Diego on the west coast on a much better team does not mean he'd get the same results playing here on a terrible team.

Also at the time which once again is hindsight the Sox didn't have the luxury of knowing Crochet would turn into a unicorn, Fedde would be pretty darn good and there would be much rejoicing about our pitching prospects in the minors. At the time of the trade they felt they still needed pitching.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is the kind of thinking that ends up getting you nothing when u really really need to capitalize on your talent because you don't have much of it. His last year hurt his value.

Hold him and he underperforms or gets hit by a line drive and the package gets severely lessened. What you call running scared is at least you're taking advantage of his top availability and his health while he still has it. At least his Cy Youngish type year  was still fresh but was closing in on its expiration date because of his 2023. You start off 2024 with under performance and now 2022 really starts looking like an outlier.

If your basing your taking less than we should have on personal opinion so be it but I didn't see a lot of criticism of the trade anywhere but here.

Look what we thought about the Burned package. That got criticized much more harshly because Burnes had a longer track record of success.

Didn't we have a poll here grading the Cease trade ? I mean if you want to support your opinion with some well known analyst criticizing the trade similar to your opinion feel free. I'll listen.

You can’t sleep either, huh?

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

? I was asleep I woke up.

Better than I’ve been able to do… haven’t been sleeping much at all lately. Lame.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know it's not Sox related. They aren't worth losing sleep over.Im on my 3rd edit of the post you quoted me on ?

f*** that. We should talk in this thread like this for the next 4 hours so everyone wakes up thinking something happened and then subsequently reads through like a hundred pages of total nonsense.

9 minutes ago, hi8is said:

f*** that. We should talk in this thread like this for the next 4 hours so everyone wakes up thinking something happened and then subsequently reads through like a hundred pages of total nonsense.

I woke up and saw I fell asleep with half a big glass of rum and coke so I had to finish it. I'm definitely not going to stay up another 4 hours?

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I woke up and saw I fell asleep with half a big glass of rum and coke so I had to finish it. I'm definitely not going to stay up another 4 hours?

Hah - I haven’t had a drink in around a decade… probably a total of four drinks in the last 15 years… you may remember what I was like while drunk. ?

Thats probably the only thing I miss from drinking… how effective it is as a sedative… well, that and the one night stands…

On second thought… maybe not so much actually. ?

17 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Good point, especially given the Sox clubhouse dysfunction that @southsider2k5has been highlighting recently. Also worth noting that Cease started strong last season as well. His numbers in mid July were similar to where they are this season. He fell apart after that.

Its also worth mentioning that he just got done arguing that the Eloy, Moncada and Robert injuries that @WestEddybrought up as a reason for an unexpected worse record for 2024 than it turned out could've been anticipated because they alway get injured. Can't play both sides of the fence regarding injuries and trades.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Hah - I haven’t had a drink in around a decade… probably a total of four drinks in the last 15 years… you may remember what I was like while drunk. ?

Thats probably the only thing I miss from drinking… how effective it is as a sedative… well, that and the one night stands…

On second thought… maybe not so much actually. ?

I don't drink really . When I have a drink it's one and done so that was the one .

Kyle Bradish to undergo testing for elbow pain....he had a UCL sprain earlier, got PRP injections and pitched thru it earlier. I assume he's prolly done now.

I still doubt Elias will give away prime prospects. 

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Kyle Bradish to undergo testing for elbow pain....he had a UCL sprain earlier, got PRP injections and pitched thru it earlier. I assume he's prolly done now.

Can Fedde land you Beavers and maybe a lotto ticket? Would that be too light/too much of a return or realistic? 

10 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Crochet for Holiday,  let's get crazy.