Story on Sox trade possibilities...

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is this sort of stupidity which puts on kids on the bench for this clowns who we aren't going to get back anything for anyway. Like what does Jerry think is going to happen here, Benny is all of the sudden going to turn into a superstar and they can dump the contract for him?  If you are done with him, dump him.  Quick making a mistake into even more mistakes.  I swear Jerry failed Economics and the Sunk Cost principle.

It’s very bizarre, but he has eaten some money.  Honestly, it’s blocking players with any semblance of potential that hurts the most.  But you know what, at some point just send his ass to the bench if Jerry won’t cut him right away.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s a tough one.  I mean, on one hand you have the argument that $55M for a team on pace to win 43 games with no other bad money and an owner who won’t spend on legit stars anyways is somehow more valuable than young controllable talent.

On the other hand, you have the argument that a catcher who is currently the worst offensive player in major league history with over 120 plate appearances (out of a +40k sample) who is also providing negative value in terms of blocking, throwing, and framing is somehow worth it because of how he “handles” the pitching staff despite CERA saying otherwise.

And with both arguments laid out, I think I’ll go with defending Oldy Moldy to the end being the worst one.  I mean we’re talking about the worst fucking hitter since 1871, but when you hate analytics more than anything other than Jeremy Haber’s laptop and Nick Madrigal’s small stature it’s not surprising he may not fully realize how epically bad Martin has been this year.

Trigger(ed) Warning...I believe the main excitement we have to look forward to in another week or two is the invasion of Orioles' trolls incessantly undervaluing every single Sox trade piece.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Why not? They'll have money to spend with Moncada, Eloy and maybe Robert (among others) off the books and if they don't get Benintendi's money off the books now they'll just keep playing him to the bitter end just like they did with Grandal.  He's not going to sit making that kind of money.  They have to do it now.

Well they could just cut him right now then.

While that would $15 mill less than can spend for each of the next 3 years, what are they going to spend it on anyway?  I would think players that they can peddle at midseason for prospects.  Well, if you're going to reduce your prospect haul from Robert/Crochet by moving his contract, you aren't really gaining anything.  

Unless you think that they can sign players with the intent on winning in the next 2 years. 

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

While that would $15 mill less than can spend for each of the next 3 years, what are they going to spend it on anyway?  I would think players that they can peddle at midseason for prospects.  Well, if you're going to reduce your prospect haul from Robert/Crochet by moving his contract, you aren't really gaining anything.  

Unless you think that they can sign players with the intent on winning in the next 2 years. 

All they are doing is adding more time to the era of suck that we are currently in.

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s very bizarre, but he has eaten some money.  Honestly, it’s blocking players with any semblance of potential that hurts the most.  But you know what, at some point just send his ass to the bench if Jerry won’t cut him right away.

I seriously wonder if they'd move Eloy for "anything" short of cash considerations. They'd save about $7.5 million, and with a Pham trade, maybe Sheets, they conceivably open 2 spots in the order to look at DeLoach/Colas/Fletcher/Julks. 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I seriously wonder if they'd move Eloy for "anything" short of cash considerations. They'd save about $7.5 million, and with a Pham trade, maybe Sheets, they conceivably open 2 spots in the order to look at DeLoach/Colas/Fletcher/Julks. 

They'd move Eloy if someone was willing to pay his buyout, 100%.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Would be nice to free up some OF space and see what we have with the group you highlighted.  I’d certainly give Eloy away at the deadline to do so.

10 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It's fun to say but there is no way Reinsdorf is gonna eat $50M.  Maybe he'll eat some to get a better player back.  I mean he has to have a little skin in the game for letting Hahn/Haber completely destroy his organization but it's just not realistic  to think he's gonna eat it all.   

• Like 1

Why not? They'll have money to spend with Moncada, Eloy and maybe Robert (among others) off the books and if they don't get Benintendi's money off the books now they'll just keep playing him to the bitter end just like they did with Grandal.  He's not going to sit making that kind of money.  They have to do it now.

“Money to spend” doesn’t translate to the White Sox actually spending money.  Anyone worth $ won’t sign here.  Anyone worth $ isn’t even considered by management.  We get sloppy 7th’s and pay them with opportunities to play their way out of town at the deadline.   “Money to spend” makes me chuckle.  I’ve hoped, I’ve been burned, I've learned.   It ain’t happening.  And if the “money is spent” it’s on the Benintendi’s of the baseball world so it’s more like they have money to “lose” not “spend.”  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Huge too since last start he finally was showing signs of being human. Need to see how his strength bounces back.

So far so good. Looking crispy.

15 minutes ago, T R U said:

Hopefully they just cover 100% of the contracts to move some of these guys. 

In the guys like Moncada and Eloy, maybe (including buyout amount for next year). If anything just to add value to those guys. You’re on the hook for all of that if they don’t move anyway so might as well eat it in a trade.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's fun to say but there is no way Reinsdorf is gonna eat $50M.  Maybe he'll eat some to get a better player back.  I mean he has to have a little skin in the game for letting Hahn/Haber completely destroy his organization but it's just not realistic  to think he's gonna eat it all.   

Then he is an even bigger idiot than we all give him credit for.

• Like 1

JR is just as responsible for destroying the franchise as Hahn/Haber et al. 

• Paper Bag 3

You can get a haul back for Garett now, probably a top 30 guy, a top 70 guy and then a top 150 guy and maybe if Getz plays it right he gets a bidding war going and you get two more decent lotto ticket type 17 year position players.

Pull the trigger. I've argued for extending but this is as good as it gets for a pitcher. He'll never again be this healthy and valuable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You can get a haul back for Garett now, probably a top 30 guy, a top 70 guy and then a top 150 guy and maybe if Getz plays it right he gets a bidding war going and you get two more decent lotto ticket type 17 year position players.

Pull the trigger. I've argued for extending but this is as good as it gets for a pitcher. He'll never again be this healthy and valuable. 

Do it. Pull the trigger.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Do it. Pull the trigger.

It's funny I would have really thought @Harold's Leg Liftwould be more in this thread. If there is a singular data point to congrats Getz on it's making Garrett train like a starter in spring and execute it into mid summer to the tune of a Cy Young winning type first half. 

Cool. 

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It would be for the better.  They have an opportunity to get out from under a god awful contract and they have to take it.  They didn't get out from under Grandal's horrific contract and he weighed the team down to the very end.  It was a total disaster and the same thing will happen with Benintendi unless they do something about it now.  

Hypothetically, let's say the Grandal contract was for 2 years. They got what they wanted out of him and that money and subsequent bad performance was gone in 2022 and 2023.

Would the reallocation of ~$18M per year toward relievers and maybe a better RF have made the 81-81 White Sox a contender, or the 2023 team any different? If the answer is no, how did it weigh the team down?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Hypothetically, let's say the Grandal contract was for 2 years. They got what they wanted out of him and that money and subsequent bad performance was gone in 2022 and 2023.

Would the reallocation of ~$18M per year toward relievers and maybe a better RF have made the 81-81 White Sox a contender, or the 2023 team any different? If the answer is no, how did it weigh the team down?

It makes me nervous including Benintendi (and lessening the return for Robert or Crochet) because there’s no guarantee at all they use the savings on player acquisition.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

It makes me nervous including Benintendi (and lessening the return for Robert or Crochet) because there’s no guarantee at all they use the savings on player acquisition.

Oh, sure they can.  On multiple old bad veteran acquisitions like almost every offseason.  Multiple bad players is better than one good player.  Quantity is always greater than quality.  It’s the White Sox way.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oh, sure they can.  On multiple old bad veteran acquisitions like almost every offseason.  Multiple bad players is better than one good player.  Quantity is always greater than quality.  It’s the White Sox way.

They can literally waste millions and millions of dollars on retreads, stiffs, has-been's and injury prone guys.

But paying top dollar for bona fide players who can change the direction of a franchise is something they flat out refuse to do.

Makes no sense to me.  

1 hour ago, fathom said:

If there was a trade on the table right now for Crochet and Benintendi you wouldn't do it?

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If there was a trade on the table right now for Crochet and Benintendi you wouldn't do it?

If the return for Crochet was reduced for taking the Benny contract, Chris Getz should be fired for making that theoretical deal.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2