Story on Sox trade possibilities...

25 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

I just don’t see any way the Sox make a trade with Baltimore. I’m not even factoring them in the discussion right now. 

They’re going to need at least one starting pitcher and we arguably have the best two on the market.

I’m sure they learned last year that they need to be more aggressive come the deadline… and the “health” of their rotation isn’t helping at all.

Trading your best players for prospects is lousy. I would have rather traded for Luis Arraez like the Padres did.  I'm under the impression they didn't trade that much to acquire him. Arraez would have looked good in a White Sox uniform.

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

9 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Trading your best players for prospects is lousy. I would have rather traded for Luis Arraez like the Padres did.  I'm under the impression they didn't trade that much to acquire him. Arraez would have looked good in a White Sox uniform.

Arraez might have helped the Sox win 50 games this season and possibly 65 games next season.  And then he would be a free agent.  What a shame we didn’t try to acquire him!

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I am beginning to understand why your letters are no longer answered.

• Haha 5
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, hi8is said:

They’re going to need at least one starting pitcher and we arguably have the best two on the market.

I’m sure they learned last year that they need to be more aggressive come the deadline… and the “health” of their rotation isn’t helping at all.

Fine. I’ll say it. I just don’t WANT them to help Baltimore. F the O’s! It’s all I have to root for this year. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m shocked they even gave him a shot.  That’s desperate.

Heck, even Flexen...just to cover 4-6 innings per game and he's certainly a better option to do so (especially motivated by being on a playoff contender) than Keuchel.

Almost to the point where the Sox need to be concerned with covering "missing" Crochet innings the last three months and the likely loss of Fedde and/or Flexen.

That leaves just Cannon, Thorpe, maybe Nastrini, Inciarte, Eder, Bush, etc.

A lot of AA pitchers to push through to the big leagues without challenging them with Charlotte first.

What's the latest with the Davis Martin rehab process???

7 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

Fine. I’ll say it. I just don’t WANT them to help Baltimore. F the O’s! It’s all I have to root for this year. 

Silly thing to root for. I’d love to see them win, they deserve it.

Just now, hi8is said:

Silly thing to root for. I’d love to see them win, they deserve it.

I don’t care one way or another.  Just get the best return from whatever team it is, even if it is the Guardians or Cubs.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Arraez might have helped the Sox win 50 games this season and possibly 65 games next season.  And then he would be a free agent.  What a shame we didn’t try to acquire him!

You would rather have Lopez at second base?

The Trade Deadline cannot get here soon enough. Every time I get on the Internet, there is some new story about one of our guys going somewhere for somebody.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

You would rather have NYY over the Orioles?????  WHAT????

Well, it's hard to blame them (Elias) until he knows exactly what they have to work with the Ventura Capital/Private Equity side with the new ownership group from this spring.

I mean...look at SD absolutely crippling themselves by trading for Clevinger, Austin Nola and then both Soto trades.  Cease deal and Arraez deal look much better (so far).

WASHINGTON is almost to the point with CJ Abrams, Gore and especially James Wood (one of top young hitting prospects in the game) that they could now knock the Padres out of the Wild Card race THIS YEAR.

Could they use Josh Naylor about right now?  Or Quantrill?

Part of the return for Seattle (Austin Nola deal, obviously he flamed out too) is one of San Diego's top prospects, outfielder Taylor Trammell (bust). Other players included in the Mariners' haul are infielder Ty France, catcher Luis Torrens and right-handed relief pitcher Andres Munoz.  (Basically, one of the studs in their bullpen and a starting caliber 1B when they...SD...don't have enough "depth" bats on the current roster).

Then whoever Taylor Williams is (reliever) for Matt Brash.  Another bullpen stud to go with Munoz, when the back end of Padres' pen other than Suarez is a mess.

SO the reason we can't entirely fault the Orioles/Elias is because they don't have a green flag to up the payroll to $250-350 million like SD did.

If you reversed/undid all those trades, you'd arguably have missed out on the 2022 NL Championship series BUT be much better positioned for 2024/25/26.

You also wouldn't have had to sign Bogaerts to what now looks like one of the worst contracts in baseball at the current moment.

Trading prospects to compete now (see KW philosophy) backfires more often than one would think.  It's not automatic that Elias has to deal from his Top 5, and they got Burnes for one year without having to cut into their real core (granted, Ortiz has been unexpectedly good).

16 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

Because they didn’t overpay (which would have been a mistake if they had paid up what was proposed here) for Cease? Their GM rocked that s%*# perfectly and still has ammo to trade for more.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Because they didn’t overpay (which would have been a mistake if they had paid up what was proposed here) for Cease? Their GM rocked that s%*# perfectly and still has ammo to trade for more.

Except on the pitching side...Kjerstad, Cowser, Beaver/s, Mayo, Basallo, etc.

Holliday obviously won't be dealt at a lower value (see Yoan Moncada after his playoff disaster with K's at the end of previous Red Sox season).

6 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

You would rather have Lopez at second base?

No, he’s absolutely terrible.  But I don’t think you understood my point.  Arraez would have been here for this season and next season, the Sox would still finish both seasons with losing records, and Arraez would depart via free agency because Jerry wouldn’t want to pay him what his price would be on the open market.  Arraez would have been a waste of Sox prospects to acquire at this point in their rebuild.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except on the pitching side...Kjerstad, Cowser, Beaver/s, Mayo, Basallo, etc.

Holliday obviously won't be dealt at a lower value (see Yoan Moncada after his playoff disaster with K's at the end of previous Red Sox season).

Dear God, I was referring to the Cease trade lol the bitterness of some fans here because their GM didn’t overpay.

No GM paid close to the hypothetical deals proposed here so it’s weird.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yes, it’s a weird opinion.  He acquired a better starter than Cease, albeit with a year less of control, but he ended up acquiring an ace for two spare Orioles parts and a draft pick.

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Brewers play in the NL central. Big difference.

No team with a small payroll could be consistently in the playoffs in the AL East

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No, he’s absolutely terrible.  But I don’t think you understood my point.  Arraez would have been here for this season and next season, the Sox would still finish both seasons with losing records, and Arraez would depart via free agency because Jerry wouldn’t want to pay him what his price would be on the open market.  Arraez would have been a waste of Sox prospects to acquire at this point in their rebuild.

Exactly correct.

Why some fans fail to understand this basic issue with the franchise is beyond me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Exactly correct.

Why some fans fail to understand this basic issue with the franchise is beyond me. 

Basically, a Sox rebuild is the same as the last one.  Acquire a bunch of pitching and positional prospects and hope they all pan out at the same time.  Then, wait for the right moment to spend money and watch as they whiff on top free agents like Machado, Harper, and Wheeler and sign guys like Grandal and Keuchel instead.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Dear God, I was referring to the Cease trade lol the bitterness of some fans here because their GM didn’t overpay.

No GM paid close to the hypothetical deals proposed here so it’s weird.

7-6  3.84

Looks to have righted the ship his last two times out.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Heck, even Flexen...just to cover 4-6 innings per game and he's certainly a better option to do so (especially motivated by being on a playoff contender) than Keuchel.

Almost to the point where the Sox need to be concerned with covering "missing" Crochet innings the last three months and the likely loss of Fedde and/or Flexen.

That leaves just Cannon, Thorpe, maybe Nastrini, Inciarte, Eder, Bush, etc.

A lot of AA pitchers to push through to the big leagues without challenging them with Charlotte first.

What's the latest with the Davis Martin rehab process???

Martin Davis just had his first clean inning in the Arizona Complex League. I could see him or Sean Burke being ready to tandem with Shuster, or whatnot. We could also take back somebody's ineffective veteran and eat the money in a Crochet or Fedde trade. As I look, all the wild card possibles seem to have expunged all of their baggage. Maybe Patrick Corbin on the Nats. He's still owed about $12 million. 

42 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Basically, a Sox rebuild is the same as the last one.  Acquire a bunch of pitching and positional prospects and hope they all pan out at the same time.  Then, wait for the right moment to spend money and watch as they whiff on top free agents like Machado, Harper, and Wheeler and sign guys like Grandal and Keuchel instead.

The last rebuild was styled around 5 pitching prospects. We have at least 15 scattered over 4 levels, now. Sure, lets use TRU's measure, and say we have 7 prospects. That's more than we started Hahn's 2.0 with.