Story on Sox trade possibilities...

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I'll add onto that... we tried adding players using our limited prospect capital basically until 2016.

When Hahn determined that the cupboards were bare, he got approval to tear it down. He did a great job of stocking the high end of the system, but the org did a horrible job at developing that high-end talent (the bats, especially, just performed to their floor). At the risk of triggering another WestEddy-ss0k5 war of words, we also did a s%*# job at developing ANY talent, especially on offense, so the bottom completely fell out when we suffered any sort of injury or loss at the big league level.

We also terribly miss timed the vets, along with the aforementioned failure of all three waves at different points.

Rodon Abreu and Anderson part 1.

All the external prospect additions from 2016-2019.  Part 2.

Vaughn Madrigal Sheets Burger Collins Fulmer mostly disappoint.  Subsequent collapse of Part 3 (other than Crochet now) as farm bottoms out in high 20’s.

Grandal Keuchel Lynn Hendriks Pollock Benintendi vet relievers all end up sucking or breaking down.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We also terribly miss timed the vets, along with the aforementioned failure of all three waves at different points.

Rodon Abreu and Anderson part 1.

All the external prospect additions from 2016-2019.  Part 2.

Vaughn Madrigal Sheets Burger Collins Fulmer mostly disappoint.  Subsequent collapse of Part 3 (other than Crochet now) as farm bottoms out in high 20’s.

Grandal Keuchel Lynn Hendriks Pollock Benintendi vet relievers all end up sucking or breaking down.

Yep.

Gotta have the right players at the right time, and the right contingency plan.

It's easy for people like me to b**** about it, but the fact of the matter is that it's f'ing hard to get it all right. You have to have so many different roles and so many components of your organization and operation working well, or at least all getting lucky at the right time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

Yep.

Gotta have the right players at the right time, and the right contingency plan.

It's easy for people like me to b**** about it, but the fact of the matter is that it's f'ing hard to get it all right. You have to have so many different roles and so many components of your organization and operation working well, or at least all getting lucky at the right time.

True it is hard but that hasn't seemed to stop organizations like the Dodgers. Braves, Phillies, Giants, Cardinals, Astros, Yankees, Red Sox and Rays from figuring it out.   

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

True it is hard but that hasn't seemed to stop organizations like the Dodgers. Braves, Phillies, Giants, Cardinals, Astros, Yankees, Red Sox and Rays from figuring it out.   

Guardians. Brewers.

Red Sox...not with their recent financial austerity plan under Henry.

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Guardians. Brewers.

Red Sox...not with their recent financial austerity plan under Henry.

Forgot about Cleveland and Milwaukee.

Boston has been one of the most successful franchises for decades is the point I was trying to make, that's why I had them listed with the other franchises. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wouldn't move for cease. Crochet is a 1-1 candidate with control.

I hope I am wrong because they could make the best deal. I still think they're a good fit for Robert as well. Just trade them both Robert and Crochet hahah

The insane thing about crochet is he's just smashing with his fastball. Guy has legit room to grow and he's already the best in the business. Plus, didn't waste a bunch of innings in his youth because he was banged up. 

He's a little over the top from a shoulder perspective but guys either make it or not. At 27, wheeler was a huge injury risk. At 34, he's the most reliable and dependable stud arm in the game.

Baseball is funny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wouldn't move for cease. Crochet is a 1-1 candidate with control.

I think this is an important nuance - I think if the Oriole's, with their budget constraints are moving those high end guys, they are doing it for someone who is under longer control than say Cease.  Crochet and/or Robert would both better fit that bill.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

They've got 3 great headliners (Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad). Just don't think they'd move any

They pretty much have to in order to get him.  If we don't get that level of guy, I hold him.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think this is an important nuance - I think if the Oriole's, with their budget constraints are moving those high end guys, they are doing it for someone who is under longer control than say Cease.  Crochet and/or Robert would both better fit that bill.  

I think one of the things that isn't being said a lot is the Os are going to have a major 40 man roster crunch after this season.  They are going to have to make some deals so free up space, or lose a lot of guys in the Rule 5.  With needing some top pitching, I would think they look to move some volume, instead of the top starts, but maybe a compromise deal has both.  Like if they could avoid Holliday, Bassalo, and Mayo, but move like 5-6 of their #5 to #15 prospects instead.  There is still a ton of talent there to be had.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think one of the things that isn't being said a lot is the Os are going to have a major 40 man roster crunch after this season.  They are going to have to make some deals so free up space, or lose a lot of guys in the Rule 5.  With needing some top pitching, I would think they look to move some volume, instead of the top starts, but maybe a compromise deal has both.  Like if they could avoid Holliday, Bassalo, and Mayo, but move like 5-6 of their #5 to #15 prospects instead.  There is still a ton of talent there to be had.

So for example, you could look at a Mayo or Holliday (still wonder if the combination of an awful Holliday debut, plus some news of his discontent at being in AAA frees him up suddenly to win a deal) /Norby/Beavers and one maybe of their Latin signings like a Lirazno.

or

Norby/Beavers/McDermott/Horvath/Wagner/Lirazano.

Baltimore is one of the few teams who can win a deal with quality and/or quality.

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Where is this whole podcast? It cuts off after mentioning Baltimore's call about Crochet, said, "let's talk about Garret Crochet", then there's nothing else on Twitter talking about Garret Crochet. 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The insane thing about crochet is he's just smashing with his fastball. Guy has legit room to grow and he's already the best in the business. Plus, didn't waste a bunch of innings in his youth because he was banged up. 

He's a little over the top from a shoulder perspective but guys either make it or not. At 27, wheeler was a huge injury risk. At 34, he's the most reliable and dependable stud arm in the game.

Baseball is funny.

Or Sale getting back to where he is now with ATL after seemingly five straight years of struggling/injuries.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So for example, you could look at a Mayo or Holliday (still wonder if the combination of an awful Holliday debut, plus some news of his discontent at being in AAA frees him up suddenly to win a deal) /Norby/Beavers and one maybe of their Latin signings like a Lirazno.

or

Baltimore is one of the few teams who can win a deal with quality and/or quality.

Quantity deals scare me with almost any team, but the Ortiz success with MIL gives reason for hope that the second tier of those guys in BALT can come through.

Basallo is the most interesting case, as he and either Mayo or Holliday are going to become superfluous...or at least not playing at their highest/premium value position.

Obviously depends on where the Sox stand with Lee/Quero and with Montgomery/Ramos/Baldwin being solutions at 3B.  Of course, O's fans argued until they were blue in the fact about Mayo being able to play RF due to arm strength (a bit like a Hunter Renfroe type).  Then you've got to fit Cowser, Kjerstad, Beavers, etc., into that outfield puzzle.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

or

That is why I like them for Fedde to be honest.  If they aren't going to give up the top guys - maybe the roster crunch allows the Sox to move Fedde for a solid quantity of quality (but not high end) prospects.  

• Like 3

James Fox speculates that they would build a package around Connor Norby. Meh. He’s R/R, is not really a 2b and his strikeouts scare me. He has no chance of breaking into their lineup. Maybe as the weak side of a corner outfield platoon with either Cowser or Kjerstad? If that is the return, I would hold onto Garrett at least until the offseason.

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

James Fox speculates that they would build a package around Connor Norby. Meh. He’s R/R, is not really a 2b and his strikeouts scare me. He has no chance of breaking into their lineup. Maybe as the weak side of a corner outfield platoon with either Cowser or Kjerstad? If that is the return, I would hold onto Garrett at least until the offseason.

If they are willing to give up Norby, I don't want him, and he sure as hell isn't a headliner for Crochet. Fedde maybe, but definitely not Crochet.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Wow, that would be awful.  Norby’s K rate has skyrocketed this year and his D remains a big question mark.  He’s certainly not a centerpiece and there are multiple guys in that system I’d prefer as a secondary piece.

• Thanks 1