Fletcher’s brother becoming a big part of the gambling/Mizuhara scandal

16 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

That's pretty wild. Fletcher allegedly did not bet on baseball games, but aren't they all prohibited from betting on any sports? 

from the article

MLB players and employees are allowed to bet on sports other than baseball -- but not with illegal bookmakers such as Bowyer. The league rulebook states that players betting with illegal bookmakers are subject to punishment at the commissioner's discretion. A player who bets on baseball games in which he did not participate will be banned for one year. Any player who bets on his own games will be banned permanently.

I just heard about this guy again because apparently he's a knuckleballer now and has recorded 6 outs to 1 hit in AAA. Made Jordan Walker look pretty foolish. I don't think MLB can really give him a strong suspension without looking foolish in the process. They need to cut the gambling money entirely out of the product. It's sick and stuff like this and Mizuhara and that guy in the NBA is only going to get worse. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

This happened while Marcano was on the Pirates. Apparently, 4 other, unnamed players are under investigation, according to the WSJ's reporting. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/tucupita-marcano-under-investigation-for-betting-on-baseball.html

Is it wrong to hope a couple of specific White Sox are on this list?

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

I honestly find this s%*# hilarious. All the major sports are completely inundated with gambling bullshit. It's thrown in our faces 24/7, during the entire fucking broadcast. This was a completely predictable outcome, and it makes the leagues look like absolute fucking rats every time they suspend a player for it.

They did this.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Quin said:

This scandal is brought to you by FanDuel.

The league is stupid if they didn't think this would happen.

They don’t care. All the owners will be dead and that much wealthier by the time that baseball is thought of the same way as horse racing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I honestly find this s%*# hilarious. All the major sports are completely inundated with gambling bullshit. It's thrown in our faces 24/7, during the entire fucking broadcast. This was a completely predictable outcome, and it makes the leagues look like absolute fucking rats every time they suspend a player for it.

They did this.

Don’t bet on baseball and don’t bet on other sports illegally. It’s not that difficult. 

• Like 2

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Don’t bet on baseball and don’t bet on other sports illegally. It’s not that difficult. 

Sure.

And it's the ultimate hypocrisy for the league to tell their athletes not to gamble, while they sell sports gambling literally the entire fucking game, pre-game, and post-game. It's pathetic. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Sure.

And it's the ultimate hypocrisy for the league to tell their athletes not to gamble, while they sell sports gambling literally the entire fucking game, pre-game, and post-game. It's pathetic. 

Again, they aren’t telling their athletes not to gamble. Read the policy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I mean, there's a reason every single gambling ad is legally required to include a "if you or someone you know has a gambling problem."

For some people, it's an addiction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah but the reason players shouldn’t bet on baseball is the same reason the league shouldn’t be partnered with baseball gambling operations. MLB in effect was taking over/under bets on games where they were employing different baseballs. That is vastly more scandalous than a player betting, yet here they are issuing lifetime bans for the same thing the league is guilty of

Edited by 4OCS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Quin said:

I mean, there's a reason every single gambling ad is legally required to include a "if you or someone you know has a gambling problem."

For some people, it's an addiction.

You are known as the master of analogies so how about gambling apps on the phone and advertised at parks and fields and arenas will do what vaping and e cigs did for that industry and ourselves: they will make us poorer and unhealthier but some people will get rich. 

I mean it's a free country and you have the right to slowly f*** yourself (or quickly if you'd prefer) but access is a thing and people WILL get hooked and suffer that would not have in a prior "you gotta go see a bookie or travel to ____" to bet era.

29 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Yeah but the reason players shouldn’t bet on baseball is the same reason the league shouldn’t be partnered with baseball gambling operations. MLB in effect was taking over/under bets on games where they were employing different baseballs. That is vastly more scandalous than a player betting, yet here they are issuing lifetime bans for the same thing the league is guilty of

There's too much money here and too much new ground not to have some sort of (hopefully not quite) cataclysmic event that happens eventually. I'm talking like someone getting shot or a player getting violent. Forget just the banal cheating, manipulating, conniving, someone will die at some point imo.

And just to add I say this as someone that likes to place the occasional bet! I have my vices, but for whatever reason I can place a couple bets a year and call it good. Others cannot.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You are known as the master of analogies so how about gambling apps on the phone and advertised at parks and fields and arenas will do what vaping and e cigs did for that industry and ourselves: they will make us poorer and unhealthier but some people will get rich. 

I mean it's a free country and you have the right to slowly f*** yourself (or quickly if you'd prefer) but access is a thing and people WILL get hooked and suffer that would not have in a prior "you gotta go see a bookie or travel to ____" to bet era.

The thing that really sickens me was the wave of White Sox Twitter influencers posting their bet tickets on Twitter. I have to believe that they were recruited as influencers to bet for free and post, or maybe they weren't. My timeline was littered with team win/HR parlays for a season. If they weren't recruited, it's really *that* fucking addictive. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 11:05 AM, Texsox said:

Eventually they will be allowed to bet on everything with everyone. But it will be made public. 

No, this will never happen.  Gambling would ruin the sanctity of the game.  The MLB will never do this.