5/18- Sox at Yankees, 12:05

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Congrats on shutting down one of the worst offenses of all time. Orange slices all around in the Spankees dugout. Ball washing media can f*** off.

"Emasculated". 

• Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

"Emasculated". 

I forget he fractured his spine in that bad accident. That explains why every time he's on TV his face looks like he's channeling post back surgery Tiger Woods circa 2018. Dude is hopped up on the good s%*# and sending mean tweets.

51 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't know how much longer you can pretend that Vaughn and Eloy are deserving of roster spots.

Used to be a big Vaughn fan, but he just isn't showing anything. Eloy cannot be here next year.  He shouldn't hit high in the order, that's for sure. A DH who can't hit? The disappointment just continues.

14 minutes ago, Highland said:

Used to be a big Vaughn fan, but he just isn't showing anything. Eloy cannot be here next year.  He shouldn't hit high in the order, that's for sure. A DH who can't hit? The disappointment just continues.

Well, at least signing 1B and DHs is Reinsdorf's lone niche

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What's so hard to understand ? The more projects you get the better the chance to turn a couple into a minor leaguer.

Remember Fedde was the huge expenditure at $15M for 2 years.

You read way too much into things. He didn't panic. He couldn't buy guys in the off season but prices came down once the season started. Was Pham a panic move or a smart move ? Did the addition of Grossman work out ? It did.

What good is a C tier minor league when you have little long term talent on the major league roster?  Is that really going to move the needle?  At some point you need to start giving your youngsters extended opportunities.

And I supported the Fedde & Pham signings.  There is flip upside there.  What I don’t like is not giving guys like Colas, Sosa, & Fletcher extended shots and instead playing the likes of Grossman, Ortega, Lopez, Mendick, etc.  Cool, we got a minor league reliever for Grossman!  We literally just DFAed one that I’d consider a similar caliber talent in Horn.  Same applies for giving a rotation spot to Keller over Nastrini.  Hitting on one youngster we weren’t relying on would likely exceed anything we get in return for these minimally talented veterans.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Keller Reign of Terror will be over soon...still don't have many options left to turn to at AA and AAA beyond Thorpe and maybe Iriarte.

Bush has been killing it.  And so has Adams for that matter.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why would he panic? That doesn't make any sense. Everybody knew this team was going to lose 100+. Panic only entered into the equation once all his washed up vets started historically awful and he had to add Pham and Clevinger and whoever else he could find in the dinged and bruised and past expiration date bin.

I give Getz a D+ so far. He could potentially turn that into a C+ or even B- if he makes good moves at the deadline. But so far he's simply treading water on the Hahn era.

You say why would he panic but then you said he did panic. Why would you consider the edition of Pham ,Clevinger or Grossman panic moves ?

Clearly those guys wanted too much money in the off season and the price for them went down enough to offer them a contract after the season started. It's already paid off by trading Grossman. Pham should get you something decent too. Trading Wilson will add to the return on the Cease trade after paying his salary for a 1/2 season. If no one again wants Clevinger at least he might be able to eat some innings and keep the BP arms fresher. The last 14 games the BP has an ERA of 2.66 and the 4 innings by Soroka today turned out well. He was at 96/97 until the the pitch count got a bit higher in his 4th inning of work . There is still a live arm in the guy, how long it lasts seems to be the issue.

If they want to keep the BP arms fresher and get prospects for Brebbia, Wilson, Soroka and Kopech they need innings from the starting pitching.

I'd give Getz a C just because he had a lot of holes to fill and no money to work with. He'll likely get little to nothing for the guys he inherited like Moncada,Eloy, Vaughn, and Sheets. Most of what he gets will come from the guys he acquired. The guys he inherited were costly and injury prone and once again proved it.

You're only using 1 option per season  when u call up a minor leaguer and send him back down if he doesn't perform. You're burning less service time yo-yoing them while a guy like Grossman played enough to net you an arm and Pham will get you more. He gave Ortega a shot and he didn't perform so he's gone and replaced by Julks. Maybe if you sift through enough trash you find a Muncy , or JD Martinez or get a Yordan Alvarez in a trade. Plenty of good players started in other organizations then found their niche.

Between the last trade deadline deals and the Cease trade there's been a good amount of talent added to the minors. I doubt Getz can get as much this deadline but he doesn't have as much to work with .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You say why would he panic but then you said he did panic. Why would you consider the edition of Pham ,Clevinger or Grossman panic moves ?

Clearly those guys wanted too much money in the off season and the price for them went down enough to offer them a contract after the season started. It's already paid off by trading Grossman. Pham should get you something decent too. Trading Wilson will add to the return on the Cease trade after paying his salary for a 1/2 season. If no one again wants Clevinger at least he might be able to eat some innings and keep the BP arms fresher. The last 14 games the BP has an ERA of 2.66 and the 4 innings by Soroka today turned out well. He was at 96/97 until the the pitch count got a bit higher in his 4th inning of work . There is still a live arm in the guy, how long it lasts seems to be the issue.

If they want to keep the BP arms fresher and get prospects for Brebbia, Wilson, Soroka and Kopech they need innings from the starting pitching.

I'd give Getz a C just because he had a lot of holes to fill and no money to work with. He'll likely get little to nothing for the guys he inherited like Moncada,Eloy, Vaughn, and Sheets. Most of what he gets will come from the guys he acquired. The guys he inherited were costly and injury prone and once again proved it.

You're only using 1 option per season  when u call up a minor leaguer and send him back down if he doesn't perform. You're burning less service time yo-yoing them while a guy like Grossman played enough to net you an arm and Pham will get you more. He gave Ortega a shot and he didn't perform so he's gone and replaced by Julks. Maybe if you sift through enough trash you find a Muncy , or JD Martinez or get a Yordan Alvarez in a trade. Plenty of good players started in other organizations then found their niche.

Between the last trade deadline deals and the Cease trade there's been a good amount of talent added to the minors. I doubt Getz can get as much this deadline but he doesn't have as much to work with .

I just went to MLB Trade Rumors, and look at all of this panic going on around the league!!

image.png

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What good is a C tier minor league when you have little long term talent on the major league roster?  Is that really going to move the needle?  At some point you need to start giving your youngsters extended opportunities.

And I supported the Fedde & Pham signings.  There is flip upside there.  What I don’t like is not giving guys like Colas, Sosa, & Fletcher extended shots and instead playing the likes of Grossman, Ortega, Lopez, Mendick, etc.  Cool, we got a minor league reliever for Grossman!  We literally just DFAed one that I’d consider a similar caliber talent in Horn.  Same applies for giving a rotation spot to Keller over Nastrini.  Hitting on one youngster we weren’t relying on would likely exceed anything we get in return for these minimally talented veterans.

Is Nastrini going anywhere ? Is Thorpe ? is Cannon ? Horn came back and got traded for cash .  Can we still not hit on  some  of the youngsters since we still have them to play the 2nd half and next year ?

Why exactly should I trust your evaluation of talent ? You don't know who is going to move the needle .

If you want to downplay the pitcher we got for a month of Grossmans low salary that's cool. Just remember to throw in that if Grossman was never acquired and Fletcher was still up we never get that pitcher while burning service time on Fletcher. Is that really better ? And now Fletcher is back up no fuss no muss.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, the fact Keller started today made this one an automatic loss. As much as I like to talk about the improvement Sox have made post-Pham and Mendick and Ramos, the boys don't stand much of a chance against a real team. They need to DFA Keller though. .... Schedule makers didn't do us any favors. Sox have been hot only to have to go to NYC to play the $$$-ridden Yankees.

Edited by greg775

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Is Nastrini going anywhere ? Is Thorpe ? is Cannon ? Isn't Horn back after clearing waivers ? Can we still not hit on  some  of the youngsters since we still have them to play the 2nd half and next year ?

So you consider the one we just got a similar talent to Horn now don't they have both ? Why exactly should I trust your evaluation of their talents ? You don't know who is going to move the needle .

If you want to downplay the pitcher we got for a month of Grossmans low salary that's cool. Just remember to throw in that if Grossman was never acquired and Fletcher was still up we never get that pitcher while burning service time on Fletcher. Is that really better ? And now Fletcher is back up no fuss no muss.

After being DFA, Bailey Horn was traded to the Red Sox for Jerry’s favorite thing…  cash.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

All it took was Tommy Pham, Danny Mendick and Bryan Ramos not hitting like the worst team of all time for Greg to go from "horrendous" to "Getz magic"

I think Mendick will start hitting again. He's somewhat hitterish. Ramos I pray starts hitting again. Hate to have him be a bust. Pham is a delight.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't know how much longer you can pretend that Vaughn and Eloy are deserving of roster spots.

Vaughn needs a change of scenery to give his career one last chance. Wish the Sox would release him and do him a solid. Eloy obviously is what he is: A .240 hitter (remember I am not a statnik so I go by the old stats) with between 11 and 27 homers and about 72 RBI. And he's an injury risk.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Vaughn needs a change of scenery to give his career one last chance. Wish the Sox would release him and do him a solid. Eloy obviously is what he is: A .240 hitter (remember I am not a statnik so I go by the old stats) with between 11 and 27 homers and about 72 RBI. And he's an injury risk.

I'm old enough to remember when a DH that hit 240 with 20 HR and 70 RBI was pretty much a scrub. Which is what Eloy is. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Well, the fact Keller started today made this one an automatic loss. As much as I like to talk about the improvement Sox have made post-Pham and Mendick and Ramos, the boys don't stand much of a chance against a real team. They need to DFA Keller though. .... Schedule makers didn't do us any favors. Sox have been hot only to have to go to NYC to play the $$$-ridden Yankees.

The truth is, that unless the Sox get a dominating start from someone like Crochet, they don't have much of a chance. The offense just isn't there. Sick of seeing Eloy and his pop-ups. Watching a team struggle to get three runs is no fun. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Is Nastrini going anywhere ? Is Thorpe ? is Cannon ? Horn came back and got traded for cash .  Can we still not hit on  some  of the youngsters since we still have them to play the 2nd half and next year ?

Why exactly should I trust your evaluation of talent ? You don't know who is going to move the needle .

We got a pitching prospect for Grossman that is more or less the same as Horn.  You don’t need to “trust my evaluations” to realize Getz has executed a ton of roster churn to ultimately effectively gain nothing so far.  It’s wild to me how much the pro Getz crowd is celebrating getting a relief prospect for Grossman like it’s some game changer for us.  We legit have the least talented major leaguer roster in baseball and Getz is prioritizing getting a few more C tier prospects vs. using our available playing time on guys who could potentially fill everyday roles.  What’s weird is that you were previously all about giving Colas a shot but now are hoping to flip some dumpster dives for garbage.  I can’t wait until we ultimately cut Colas & Sosa this offseason without giving them an extended shot.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

“We just got our ass kicked.”-- Pedro Grifol (How many times has this clown said that the past two seasons?) LOL. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sox aren't playing the youngsters until August, they need to showcase their trade bait and hope some of them look good

2 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Sox aren't playing the youngsters until August, they need to showcase their trade bait and hope some of them look good

Because the trade markets for Nicky López and Martin Maldonado are going to heat up any day now.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1