5/23-O's at Sox, 6:40pm

6 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Also, I didn’t realize the batter and the runner are called out during an interference call on an infield fly. I just had to look it up to confirm. Isn’t only one guy ruled out during a regular interference call?

I thought it was pretty much a dead ball

7 hours ago, Quin said:

If anyone wants to see how the general baseball populace feels, even O's fans are calling it the worst call ever

Yeah but what does Sports Guy have to say about it, that’s the only Os opinion I care about

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The batter was out automatically on the infield fly rule.Vaughn was called out for interference .

Yeah, I understand what was called. It just seems like a strange rule to me. If the batter is automatically out on the infield fly, then what is Vaughn really interfering with?

I guess you need that to be the rule to avoid an unrealistic scenario where a base runner shields the fielder from ever getting to the baseball on an infield fly and a different runner scores from third or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, I understand what was called. It just seems like a strange  me. If the batter is automatically out on the infield fly, then what is Vaughn really interfering with?

I guess you need that to be the rule to avoid an unrealistic scenario where a base runner shields the fielder from ever getting to the baseball on an infield fly and a different runner scores from third or something like that. 

The ball isn't dead with IFR is called. Runners can advance. 

Posted (edited)

The relative ease of the catch had nothing to do with it because Vaughn was called out when the umpire though he saw him interfere, which was way before that.  The fielder obviously didn't know the rule or he wouldn't have taken a step around him, he just would have plowed into him, and no one would be arguing the call now. But, the ease of going around him, should have come into play here. Did he really "interfere"? Not really., which brings it back to use some common sense.

Vaughn is required to get out of the way. But the odds of the pop up being where it was with the SS being where he was to where Vaughn was, has to be greater than the White sox current World Series odds.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I was at that game as we made a trip up from Florida.

There must be an affiliate closer than going to Chicago? Like Birmingham? ......... just kidding.    

9 hours ago, Quin said:

If anyone wants to see how the general baseball populace feels, even O's fans are calling it the worst call ever

From a rulebook standpoint, it is technically correct, but just a bizarre time to call it. For me it was like calling a coaching box technical foul in basketball with no time left on the clock in a tie game. Maybe it was right, but if affected the outcome when the play wasn't going to do so.  It is too bad some common sense isn't applied there, as I don't think that was ever the intent of the rule.

Just saw the video. That is a crazy call to make there.

I'm gonna call that a W for the Sox because Kimbrel was bound to give up a Home Run to the next guy....in fact for me that is enough to put this entire season under protest.

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

Just saw the video. That is a crazy call to make there.

I'm gonna call that a W for the Sox because Kimbrel was bound to give up a Home Run to the next guy....in fact for me that is enough to put this entire season under protest.

I began protesting this season in February.

• Haha 2

I remember AJ drawing interference against the opponent as a runner between second and third when he tried to get bumped by one of the fielders. Different rule and the Sox won the game. 

That horrible call by the umpire would NEVER have happened at Yankee Stadium against the Yankees.   Because our team is crap and our manager is incompetent, the umpire made the horrible call against the White Sox.   Absolutely no respect from anyone on this dreadful organization.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Johno said:

That horrible call by the umpire would NEVER have happened at Yankee Stadium against the Yankees.   Because our team is crap and our manager is incompetent, the umpire made the horrible call against the White Sox.   Absolutely no respect from anyone on this dreadful organization.

I think there's some truth to your comment. Human nature being what it is and given the Sox atrocious record they aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The odds of that play occurring are so crazy, and to end a game? It probably has never happened before, and may never happen again.

Only in the World of the White Sox.

And this just continues a decades-long string of bizarre, unusual and mind-numbing plays/situations that have happened when playing the Orioles. 

• Thanks 1