5/24 Sox vs. Orioles & Umps 6:40PM CT

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

You can’t keep playing Benintendi. Fletcher and Deloach are awful, but they should be playing before him.

There are 75,000,000 reasons why they should. Can we get our resident economist @caulfield12to talk about sunk cost fallacy?

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, DoUEvenShift said:

There are 75,000,000 reasons why they should. Can we get our resident economist @caulfield12to talk about sunk cost fallacy?

Also since Beni is 0-3 just wanna share this Jay Cuda banger from earlier today

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cuban_sammiches said:

How long have you been waiting to unleash this beauty?

Lol I posted it a week or two ago against the Nats or Cle, i can't remember. It's been going around twitter for a couple years

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Mental things that can’t be quantified. I wish they’d stop trying to “predict” sports, that’s part of the magic to me. Even weather conditions, I doubt that’s baked in. I assume it’s just “what has this hitter done in the past on this count” which is a meaningful data point, but the average fan doesn’t need to be told that a 0-2 count is not a desirable count to be in. And I don’t think those data are very useful at predicting the future.

Personally, I would’ve thought the Sox would be better this year because of the “predicted” WARs of the guys on the team based on past production. A lot of posters predicted Benintendi would be dreadful this year, I disagreed because the data said he’d regress to the mean, but they were right. 

You CAN quantify those odds.  We know historical information for 10s of thousands AB, complete with counts, match ups, situations etc.  But odds and probabilities are all they are.  You are trying to make them into something omniscient with all you are putting on them.  It's not perfect for sure, but it is WAY more accurate than pure randomness.

• Thanks 1