5/24 Sox vs. Orioles & Umps 6:40PM CT

Just now, fathom said:

This has to be it for Benintendi for a whole. Absolutely terrible all around player.

He’s an embarrassment to baseball, the Sox franchise, Hahn who signed him, and Getz who continues to employ him.  No surprise here.  Pretty much status quo for the Sox.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

He’s an embarrassment to baseball, the Sox franchise, Hahn who signed him, and Getz who continues to employ him.  No surprise here.  Pretty much status quo for the Sox.

That relay to DeJong and throw home was as mediocre as it gets

• Like 1

Just now, cuban_sammiches said:

He's emotionally crushed...his dad will be tweeting in his defense this evening.

Does his dad really tweet? The only Sox dad I saw tweeting was Rick Giolito and it drove me nuts. 

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You CAN quantify those odds.  We know historical information for 10s of thousands AB, complete with counts, match ups, situations etc.  But odds and probabilities are all they are.  You are trying to make them into something omniscient with all you are putting on them.  It's not perfect for sure, but it is WAY more accurate than pure randomness.

my question is, why do they put it on the screen as though it tells you anything? "39% strikeout probability" why not just put down there "hey it's bad when you have 2 strikes, you better be careful, you might strike out". I think that's more honest about what's probably going to happen. They could also just do nothing like every other broadcast. I didn't like when they added the strike zone box in either, pretty soon the overlay is going to be so extreme you can't even see the baseball being played. I'm just wondering who this is marketed toward, somebody who likes data but doesn't understand baseball? I I'm going to make an educated guess and say it's for the gambler's benefit. 

I'm thinking about how Benetti wanted to talk about WOBA and such on the broadcast, but who really gives a s%*#? Does the stats nerd just want to feel noticed or something? He can look these things up himself and that's more fun and you can get the specifics of what you're looking for. You don't need apple bot telling you "hey if he gets a hit here, it'll probably score a run". What does the 9-year-old think when he sees it, I wonder. Maybe it inspires an interest in math and probability but probably he's just going to start using draftkings on mom's phone and how he's got a system. 

• Like 1

Just now, DoUEvenShift said:

I hope Pham gets traded to a WS bound team, he deserves it. f*** the rest of these scrubs 

I could tell he wanted to charge out to CF and slap Cowser down.