Interesting postgame comments 5/26...

Make of these as you will:

“Crochet pitched his ass off, we got no-hit through [seven innings]. We had a pinch-hitter break it up. The rest of the guys–not the rest of the guys–most of the guys were fucking flat today. Unacceptable. No adjustments, we didn’t make any adjustments to this guy.”---Pedro Grifol

“He’s (Grifol) going to feel that way and obviously we have a different feeling. He is entitled to his own opinion also. I think that’s a valid reason. It’s nothing to hide about that. He has his opinions and everyone is going to have their own opinions.” --- Korey Lee

“We just played a stretch against some really good teams. I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to harp on the losses and beat ourselves up too much." ---Garrett Crochet 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Make of these as you will:

“Crochet pitched his ass off, we got no-hit through [seven innings]. We had a pinch-hitter break it up. The rest of the guys–not the rest of the guys–most of the guys were fucking flat today. Unacceptable. No adjustments, we didn’t make any adjustments to this guy.”---Pedro Grifol

“He’s (Grifol) going to feel that way and obviously we have a different feeling. He is entitled to his own opinion also. I think that’s a valid reason. It’s nothing to hide about that. He has his opinions and everyone is going to have their own opinions.” --- Korey Lee

“We just played a stretch against some really good teams. I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to harp on the losses and beat ourselves up too much." ---Garrett Crochet 

Not fair to harp on the losses???  You lost four in a row at home.  You’re on pace to lose 120 games.  What would be fair to harp on?  Holy crap!!!  What a moron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

It’s a bunch of young guys and AAAA players, it’s the coaching staffs fucking job to help them make adjustments.  If only the former Director of Player Development wasn’t watching from a skybox as the GM.  What a piss poor organization.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Rusty said:

Fucking guy wants to talk about making adjustments but had TA near the top of the order almost all last season and insists on hitting Vaughn there this season…

Grifol throws young guys under the bus all of the time. Glad someone did it to him. Lee is probably mad that Grifol called out Ramos on the play that he got injured on.

• Like 2

Lee must not be a huge fan, lol.

I mean, they absolutely left him out to dry last year when he was struggling so badly he should have been anywhere but a big league diamond.

Then this year, they obviously gave up on him with the Stassi and Maldonado signings...the only reason he got the opportunity was Stassi's health/not being ready to catch after so much time off.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Not fair to harp on the losses???  You lost four in a row at home.  You’re on pace to lose 120 games.  What would be fair to harp on?  Holy crap!!!  What a moron.

since he's been playing well, that's the sort of thing he should say.

"yeah my teammates fuckin suck. they're losers, they should be beating themselves up, there's penance in self-flagellation" is not a very diplomatic answer. I much prefer Lee undermining Grifol. That's awesome. Hopefully we see more of that and Griffey's gone before the solstice. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nrockway said:

since he's been playing well, that's the sort of thing he should say.

"yeah my teammates fuckin suck. they're losers, they should be beating themselves up, there's penance in self-flagellation" is not a very diplomatic answer. I much prefer Lee undermining Grifol. That's awesome. Hopefully we see more of that and Griffey's gone before the solstice. 

Yeah, it's mind of hysterical that a rookie playing well is the one to hit back at Grifol, albeit on an incredibly professional manner.

• Like 1

This is really something Pedro should have said literally 200 games ago. So I doubt it will do any good. I think he sees the writing on the wall, and this was his break the glass move.. He’s soon a goner. They will say it’s not his fault but something needs to be done. But there is plenty of blame he should take.

• Fire 1

Posted (edited)

Grifol is a mealy-mouthed dunce with zero cred and no confidence. This is a weird turn, to lose the clubhouse over a rookie throwing Grifol's criticism back in his face. Grifol has no power. He has no card to play. He's already benching Lee way too much for the team's fortunes. 

I want to see these guys start getting pissed off. That's great that everyone likes each other. Weeks ago, when Trea Turner was tagging from 1st to 2nd on a flyout, up 8, in the middle of a streak where every other game was a no-hit threat for the White Sox - Turner should have been sat on his ass the next at-bat. First pitch. Nicky Lopez is patting guys on the ass who just hit a double off his pitcher. That kind of stunned me. 

I hate Mike Ditka, but like he used to say, these guys are taking food off your table. They're mocking you. They're putting you out of a job. Get fucking angry. 

Edited by WestEddy
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

Here's the situation and everybody in that clubhouse knows it:

1) The team sucks. When you look across the room or you step into the on deck circle you know the guys aren't likely to come through. That puts additional pressure on you.

2) The manager sucks. Everybody knows it. Players talk amongst themselves and will lash out at the manager eventually because they want to blame at least some of their performance on the bad manager. 

3) Death spiral.

Everybody gets paid to no need to cry but that's what it's like in the working environment for every single minute of every game. I'm sure it's looser before and after, but during the games nah, that s%*# is a death spiral and unless there is a serious talent infusion by July (ha) you're going to continue to threaten some historic records. In some ways setting the all time modern RD mark is even more embarrassing than just the losses. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Here's the situation and everybody in that clubhouse knows it:

1) The team sucks. When you look across the room or you step into the on deck circle you know the guys aren't likely to come through. That puts additional pressure on you.

2) The manager sucks. Everybody knows it. Players talk amongst themselves and will lash out at the manager eventually because they want to blame at least some of their performance on the bad manager. 

3) Death spiral.

Everybody gets paid to no need to cry but that's what it's like in the working environment for every single minute of every game. I'm sure it's looser before and after, but during the games nah, that s%*# is a death spiral and unless there is a serious talent infusion by July (ha) you're going to continue to threaten some historic records. In some ways setting the all time modern RD mark is even more embarrassing than just the losses. 

1932 Boston Red Sox

First: 11-44

Final record: 43-111

The 1932 team had one of the worst starts to a season until the 2023 A’s came along. Boston set a franchise record for the lowest winning percentage in a season at .279. In addition, Boston scored 556 runs while allowing 915, a run differential of -349, the worst in MLB’s modern era. Each of the team’s top seven relievers posted a 5.00 ERA or higher. The 1932 season was a low point for owner Harry Frazee. The following year, he sold the team to Tom Yawkey, who oversaw better fortunes. Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove, and Joe Cronin would be on their way soon enough to Boston.

1899 Cleveland Spiders are out of reach though....something like a 700+ RS/RA differential.

Current White Sox RS/RA pace -348

Record=-349

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Grifol is a mealy-mouthed dunce with zero cred and no confidence. This is a weird turn, to lose the clubhouse over a rookie throwing Grifol's criticism back in his face. Grifol has no power. He has no card to play. He's already benching Lee way too much for the team's fortunes. 

I want to see these guys start getting pissed off. That's great that everyone likes each other. Weeks ago, when Trea Turner was tagging from 1st to 2nd on a flyout, up 8, in the middle of a streak where every other game was a no-hit threat for the White Sox - Turner should have been sat on his ass the next at-bat. First pitch. Nicky Lopez is patting guys on the ass who just hit a double off his pitcher. That kind of stunned me. 

I hate Mike Ditka, but like he used to say, these guys are taking food off your table. They're mocking you. They're putting you out of a job. Get fucking angry. 

I love Ditka. He brought us a title. Not easy to do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

This is really something Pedro should have said literally 200 games ago. So I doubt it will do any good. I think he sees the writing on the wall, and this was his break the glass move.. He’s soon a goner. They will say it’s not his fault but something needs to be done. But there is plenty of blame he should take.

Is he really a goner though? I mean, I get it. But the next guy clearly has no shot either, if it was Joe Madden, zombie Billy Martin, or Dusty Baker’s younger version time traveling. Who is gonna take this job? Nobody good that’s for sure. If you’re Getz, you didn’t hire him, and he is taking most of the bullets for now

4 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Is he really a goner though? I mean, I get it. But the next guy clearly has no shot either, if it was Joe Madden, zombie Billy Martin, or Dusty Baker’s younger version time traveling. Who is gonna take this job? Nobody good that’s for sure. If you’re Getz, you didn’t hire him, and he is taking most of the bullets for now

At some point, we have to understand that the roster is horrible AND Grifol is a terrible manager. He finished 20 below with a team that had been :500 the year before, and now is headed to the worst record in franchise history. Just because the person they bring in won’t win the division doesn’t mean you keep this guy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1