Maybe Montgomery isn't going to make it.

zisk

Colson is really struggling in a great hitters park. The defensive numbers look fairly pedestrian. If he doesn't 

flip the switch soon, he might not be up to the task. Sure his plate discipline hasn't abandoned him. It will

take more than that to be a good major leaguer. What a damn mess. Quero is down to .211 as well. At least

he's young for AA. The tough part for me is that i'm stuck with these clucks. The only thing worse to me is 

being a frontrunner.

• Haha 3

It has been discouraging to see Colson's performance thus far. I also was not impressed by what I saw out of him in the spring. Gotta give him a full year in aaa to really see because of his abbreviated 2023 but not great thus far. 

Quero hasn't really adjusted to aa entirely either but yes still young. Not as worried about him. Jacob Gonzalez has been nice to see though. Hopefully that keeps up. 

Posted (edited)

Schultz has been our best prospect this whole time, Montgomery is a nonstarter. Quero was just underrated and has been our  best (edit: positional) prospect since the second he entered the system. 

Edited by bobbydanks
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bobbydanks said:

Schultz has been our best prospect this whole time, Montgomery is a nonstarter. Quero was just underrated and has been our best prospect since the second he entered the system. 

Two best prospects?  Well, Schultz is going to have to prove he can stay healthy for at least 120 innings in a single season and Quero's going to have to hit for at least 15-18 homers per season.

Those in the know are not willing to give up based on two months of a season.

Not worried about Colson just yet.  He never really failed up to this point, so it’s good for him to learn to make legitimate adjustments to his game.

Does anyone have a link to the AAA Statcast data?  I’d be curious if his elevated K level is driven by chasing or from being too selective against AAAA pitchers who can actually get their junk over the plate.

• Like 1

Everyone mentioning Gonzalez in this thread is providing the evidence that a prospect going cold for an extended period at a new level isn't an apocalyptic event.

Jackson Holliday was ass in his debut and his numbers in AAA have dropped since. I don't think the Orioles are in extreme panic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He’ll be fine. No reason for him to debut until May 2025, tho. 

Keep him away from this coaching staff at least.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Everyone mentioning Gonzalez in this thread is providing the evidence that a prospect going cold for an extended period at a new level isn't an apocalyptic event.

Jackson Holliday was ass in his debut and his numbers in AAA have dropped since. I don't think the Orioles are in extreme panic.

No one mentioned Gonzalez in this thread

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not worried about Colson just yet.  He never really failed up to this point, so it’s good for him to learn to make legitimate adjustments to his game.

Does anyone have a link to the AAA Statcast data?  I’d be curious if his elevated K level is driven by chasing or from being too selective against AAAA pitchers who can actually get their junk over the plate.

This.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

And this

• Like 1

The White Sox are giving heavy playing time in the infield to Lopez, Mendick, Remillard, and Dejong. Montgomery slumping is still better than at least three of those guys right now. If he heats up, he's better than all of them. Now, is it possible he's not the hitting superstar the Sox desperately need? Absolutely. Always bet the under on every prospect. There's a reason they're not called "sure things."

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

No one mentioned Gonzalez in this thread

Literally right here.

15 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

It has been discouraging to see Colson's performance thus far. I also was not impressed by what I saw out of him in the spring. Gotta give him a full year in aaa to really see because of his abbreviated 2023 but not great thus far. 

Quero hasn't really adjusted to aa entirely either but yes still young. Not as worried about him. Jacob Gonzalez has been nice to see though. Hopefully that keeps up. 

4 hours ago, Jerry McNertney said:

It's too early to give up on Montgomery. But his potential has gone from nearly a sure thing to iffy. The White Sox have two interesting prospects for third base, shortstop, or second base in Baldwin and Gonzalez at AA Birmingham.

• Like 2

Hes 22 for all of this year could spend all of this season and the next two at AAA and still be "on track" hitting is hard and power is often the last tool to develop. His strike out rate will normalize just like it did in AA; give the kid some time we're in no rush to start the clock and we're quite a ways away from competing.

• Like 5

We have this bad habit of treating baseball 1st round picks likes it the NFL or NBA.  HoF type players will spend less time but those are rare.

Last I heard Colson didn't spend much time in AA.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

We have this bad habit of treating baseball 1st round picks likes it the NFL or NBA.  HoF type players will spend less time but those are rare.

Last I heard Colson didn't spend much time in AA.

The metaphor I prefer is that we treat the minors like a warehouse instead of a factory.

• Like 1