Maybe Montgomery isn't going to make it.

zisk

If you just keep lining up 1st round shortstops, eventually, you'll have a shortstop. 

https://twitter.com/PipelineTo35th/status/1795477894636151136

Birmingham Barons IF Jacob Gonzalez has been named Southern League player of the week for the week of May 20th-26th! Gonzalez hit .448 with an 1.107 OPS in his debut week of AA ball

10 hours ago, JoeC said:

The metaphor I prefer is that we treat the minors like a warehouse instead of a factory.

I was about to feel really smart and say "what about a garden?", thinking about how so many variables - controllable and not - can determine whether or not plants in my garden grow. Last year we skipped planting tomatoes and one appeared anyway.

Then I remembered that it's called a farm system for a reason.

• Haha 2

On 5/28/2024 at 10:38 AM, kitekrazy said:

We have this bad habit of treating baseball 1st round picks likes it the NFL or NBA.  HoF type players will spend less time but those are rare.

Last I heard Colson didn't spend much time in AA.

they also seem to have a bad habit of sucking 

His approach that vaulted him has been what has disappeared against better competition with better command. It's tough to watch, because he came in like a unicorn unlike any other prospect we had and now it feels like he's getting sox-ified. But reality is the sox don't help these kids at all and he'll just have to figure it out on his own so hopefully he does. It's gotten a little better recently.

However, each month has been a little better (march was a few games but miserable games)

April - .217 / . 317 / .386 slg with 35% k rate

May - .242 / .340 / .429 with a 23% k rate

His walk rate has stuck in that 11-12% range.

But this will be a big month. We've seen prospects struggle to start, get their head above water and then crater. Time to see if he can thrive.

But if I was Baseball America or a ranking org I'd definitely start to drop him unless he can get his contact rate improved.

52 minutes ago, bmags said:

But reality is the sox don't help these kids at all and he'll just have to figure it out on his own so hopefully he does. It's gotten a little better recently.

I find this hard to believe. What do you know other teams do for their "kids" that the White Sox organization does not?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, buckweaver said:

I find this hard to believe. What do you know other teams do for their "kids" that the White Sox organization does not?

They develop them using a cohesive strategy and framework that carries over from level to level. Look at systems like the Dodgers, Guardians, and Braves.

Historically, the Sox just shuttle guys and leave it up to the individual affiliate’s staff to give instruction as they see fit.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JoeC said:

They develop them using a cohesive strategy and framework that carries over from level to level. Look at systems like the Dodgers, Guardians, and Braves.

Historically, the Sox just shuttle guys and leave it up to the individual affiliate’s staff to give instruction as they see fit.

Hey! Seby Zavala went from an offense-first catcher to a defense-only catcher! That's something.

• Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 2

3 hours ago, bmags said:

His approach that vaulted him has been what has disappeared against better competition with better command. It's tough to watch, because he came in like a unicorn unlike any other prospect we had and now it feels like he's getting sox-ified. But reality is the sox don't help these kids at all and he'll just have to figure it out on his own so hopefully he does. It's gotten a little better recently.

However, each month has been a little better (march was a few games but miserable games)

April - .217 / . 317 / .386 slg with 35% k rate

May - .242 / .340 / .429 with a 23% k rate

His walk rate has stuck in that 11-12% range.

But this will be a big month. We've seen prospects struggle to start, get their head above water and then crater. Time to see if he can thrive.

But if I was Baseball America or a ranking org I'd definitely start to drop him unless he can get his contact rate improved.

Good post, he better learn to hit velocity.

24 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

I'm just happy we have a player somewhere (anywhere) in our system that seems to recognize the value of taking a walk once in a while.

He could repeat AAA next year and still be completely on track to contribute in 2025 as a regular. I'm not too worried. Is he ATM a top 15 prospect in baseball? Probably not, but these things are obviously fluid and one stupid thing Hahn did get right is that progress it not linear, not usually anyways. 

• Like 1

I worry when guys dont improve or adapt. I'm not worried about Colson at all given his age, being a Midwest kid with limited amateur reps, and his continued development.

I'd be worried if we were sitting here next year with the same circumstance. Right now, he's going through what every baseball player ever has gone through - a period of challenge and adaptation. Worries only come when you see little change.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I worry when guys dont improve or adapt. I'm not worried about Colson at all given his age, being a Midwest kid with limited amateur reps, and his continued development.

I'd be worried if we were sitting here next year with the same circumstance. Right now, he's going through what every baseball player ever has gone through - a period of challenge and adaptation. Worries only come when you see little change.

His top EVs are Robert like. He just needs to adjust to pitchers that can consistently throw their two best pitches for strikes. He probably didn't see much of that in the low minors and certainly as you said he needs reps.