Rooting against the Sox

At this point, I want them to keep losing. In my eyes it means the faster they accunulate losses, the faster necessary changes will happen. Whether or not we should trust the change-makers is another conversation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It sucks to watch a losing team, you want the people responsible for its construction to face some consequences, but I can't understand the desire to want your team to lose.

There are some logical reasons to want your team to lose, ie to tank for a better pick or to force the hand on firing executives/coaches. Well, Hahn and Kenny already got fired and there's no doing better than the 10th pick. There is still some pride in sports fandom, it's an analogy for pride in the place you're from, a less chauvinistic kind of nationalism. If you're a patriotic citizen, you might not like the people in charge but you don't want your country to fail, you want it to get better.

You guys should be patriotic Sox fans. Critical of the morons in charge, objective about the performance on the field, watch the game and hope for a win. I think, in a way, you're disrespecting yourself by considering yourself a fan and wishing for losses. Give up the fandom, find a new nation if you feel that way. I'm gonna keep rooting for these unlikable losers, a brighter future is on the horizon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2
  • TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 1

15 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

At this point, I want them to keep losing. In my eyes it means the faster they accunulate losses, the faster necessary changes will happen. Whether or not we should trust the change-makers is another conversation.

What changes? Grifol will be gone regardless, Getz is the replacement for "necessary changes" that were already made and so is not going anywhere. Personally I don't see a reason for Getz to be gonez, we're still on Rick and Kenny's wild ride in terms of the players on the field and I'm halfway impressed by the talent in the minors. I had some hopes that this collection of bums might've impressed and played .500ish ball, but everyone knew coming into the season that this was a lost year regardless of who was GM. what would wunderkind David Stearns have done differently with this roster? Because I'm not so sure the Mets are in a better place than the Sox are, aside from having an owner who is willing to spend. I like our minor league talent better, frankly, Drew Gilbert is probably the only guy in their system we don't have a better version of. 

The biggest change on the horizon will be not having to pay Eloy and Moncada and you hope they use that money properly. Since I can't predict the future, I guess I'll have to wait and see. In the mean time, if I'm going to spend 2 hours watching a baseball game, I'm not going to watch it and hope we lose. Why would I do that to myself? Why spend my free time making myself miserable? I don't get it. 

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, nrockway said:

In the mean time, if I'm going to spend 2 hours watching a baseball game, I'm not going to watch it and hope we lose. Why would I do that to myself? Why spend my free time making myself miserable? I don't get it. 

I mean if you’re spending two hours watching a Sox game, you’re probably gonna be miserable regardless, so who cares?

Also, I’m assuming anyone that’s hoping the Sox lose isn’t actually watching full games start to finish.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nrockway said:

It sucks to watch a losing team, you want the people responsible for its construction to face some consequences, but I can't understand the desire to want your team to lose.

There are some logical reasons to want your team to lose, ie to tank for a better pick or to force the hand on firing executives/coaches. Well, Hahn and Kenny already got fired and there's no doing better than the 10th pick. There is still some pride in sports fandom, it's an analogy for pride in the place you're from, a less chauvinistic kind of nationalism. If you're a patriotic citizen, you might not like the people in charge but you don't want your country to fail, you want it to get better.

You guys should be patriotic Sox fans. Critical of the morons in charge, objective about the performance on the field, watch the game and hope for a win. I think, in a way, you're disrespecting yourself by considering yourself a fan and wishing for losses. Give up the fandom, find a new nation if you feel that way. I'm gonna keep rooting for these unlikable losers, a brighter future is on the horizon. 

I’m already one foot out the door.  The only way I’ll remain a Sox fan is if Jerry dies in the next 4 months or they fire Pedro before the ASB.  Outside of that, I will “find a new nation.”

• Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I’m already one foot out the door.  The only way I’ll remain a Sox fan is if Jerry dies in the next 4 months or they fire Pedro before the ASB.  Outside of that, I will “find a new nation.”

Well, bye 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Can't really get a good pick now.  I do like some of the younger people coming up.  Last years team was the worst.  I couldn't root for anyone.  There's a decent minor league core but nothing extravagant and still need Alot more depth because most won't pan out.   Need a whole new GM to build the next 2 years and sign the right players.  Signing involves money (which they'll have) and a culture change so people actually want to play here.   We can't overpay on trash like the worst hitter in baseball (benetendi) and let MVPs get away over 10 million dollars.

• Like 1

I love the Chicago White Sox baseball team, but I despise the organization that runs it top to bottom. These players wear the uniform, but I can't root for them. This whole culture and work ethic construct is a farce, and we all knew it was, yet they sold it to us as if it was going to work. Pedro is an utter joke, Getz is inept, and JR just doesnt give a f*** beyond counting the dollars coming in. I actively want this version of the White Sox to lose in embarrassing fashion every time out. Until there are more than a one or two interesting players on the roster worth a damn, opposed to the garbage they run out there every day, I want historical lows for the dopes running this thing.

I know nothing changes until JR is gone, but being a laughingstock is everything they deserve.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 3

1 hour ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

That is not necessarily so. Change would require a new owner and his owning the team has nothing to do with wins/losses. I enjoyed our 8-6 hot streak I must admit. It's no fun to root for a team this horrible in all facets of the game. The Sox front office should walk through the stands in the eighth inning and give the remaining fans coupons for free tickets or free parking at least. Seriously. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rusty said:

This is literally the worst moment in Chicago sports history, our gone but not forgotten friend South Side Hitmen did the math. It's not a great moment for the city of Chicago either. This is the type of moment that tests the Chicago sports fan, tests the Chicagoan. Will he crumble under the weight of his desperation and become an Orioles fan or will he be resolute, steadfast, strong, wise...and watch a different TV show for the next couple of months?

Personally, I don't buy your threats. I see an internal contradiction in what I write in my post and the act of "supporting" the work of Jerry Reinsdorf, Ben Pogofsky, Mike Clevinger, but I think if your fandom is tied to who owns and operates the team, who plays for it, you're destined to be unhappy. Reinsdorf will die, Clev will retire and the Chicago White Sox will still be the Chicago White Sox. 

Just now, nrockway said:

This is literally the worst moment in Chicago sports history, our gone but not forgotten friend South Side Hitmen did the math. It's not a great moment for the city of Chicago either. This is the type of moment that tests the Chicago sports fan, tests the Chicagoan. Will he crumble under the weight of his desperation and become an Orioles fan or will he be resolute, steadfast, strong, wise...and watch a different TV show for the next couple of months?

Personally, I don't buy your threats. I see an internal contradiction in what I write in my post and the act of "supporting" the work of Jerry Reinsdorf, Ben Pogofsky, Mike Clevinger, but I think if your fandom is tied to who owns and operates the team, who plays for it, you're destined to be unhappy. Reinsdorf will die, Clev will retire and the Chicago White Sox will still be the Chicago White Sox. 

Ok, this is ridiculous hyperbole. This franchise alone has the Black Sox scandal to its name.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ok, this is ridiculous hyperbole. This franchise alone has the Black Sox scandal to its name.

dig up that thread I'm referencing, in terms of W/L in all major sports it actually is and it isn't close. Every one of our teams is a loser. Black Sox at least won some games.

Edited by nrockway

I don't have anything against the players so no reason to root for them to be historically bad. They're all out there playing for their careers; which is probably why of all the dumb s%*# Pedro has said and done this one where he called to question their effort is the first we heard push back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nrockway said:

dig up that thread I'm referencing, in terms of W/L in all major sports it actually is and it isn't close. Every one of our teams is a loser. Black Sox at least won some games.

Losing a lot is not comparable to a cheating scandal and having 8 players barred for life and the franchise scarred forever.  It's not even in the same universe of bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Losing a lot is not comparable to a cheating scandal and having 8 players barred for life and the franchise scarred forever.  It's not even in the same universe of bad.

I agree with you completely. It's not in the same universe of bad, but it's a different kind of bad and it's still bad. It's the kind of bad where nobody even wants to watch the team(s) in a sports town. I imagine people liked watching the Black Sox and had pride in their performance up until they sold their souls. Gambling and PEDs, in my opinion, is a different beast entirely than just being bad. I worry about the future of professional sports because of gambling, but I worry about the present of Chicago sports because they all suck. 

28 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Reinsdorf is paying a heavy price for letting Hahn completely destroy his organization as well he should. 

Reisdorf completely destroyed his organization. His fingerprints are all over everything the Sox spend on hiring the most inexpensive and inexperienced personnel and cutting corners everywhere. He's reaped what he has sown.

JR isn't suffering. He's a businessman running his business the way he wants it run. He strives on this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Reinsdorf is paying a heavy price for letting Hahn completely destroy his organization as well he should. 

He's still making a ton of money that's not so heavy a price in his world. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 2

This offense is just so god awful. It really is amazing how a group of major league hitters cannot score against anyone. They are not facing Bruce Chen every night. You would think they would get to a shitty bullpen guy occasionally but basically no they can't. I don't want to see them lose but I am resigned to the fact that they will 80-90% of the time.

My preference is they lose every game. Even if there’s only a small chance total embarrassment forces changes, I’ll take it. 

There’s way too many lousy and unlikeable players on this team, maybe things will change at the end of July.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Highland said:

Some fans are cheering for the Sox to lose, because it will embarrass the organization. Truth is, nothing embarrasses this organization. Just ask Stone Poney.

Maybe, but I’m pretty sure if this team won 81 games last year instead of 61 the same guys would still be here in charge.