Rooting against the Sox

4 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

OK, this hits and I get it, I need to understand something though, because I even question myself. Indulge me...

We love the White Sox, but:

We hate the ownership

We hate the management.

We can't stand the current players because they have poor ethic, talent, and interest.

Any worthwhile players now or in the future will be let go once they become too expensive anyway.

So, what exactly are we fans of?

The idea of it getting better, as realistic or unrealistic as that may seem. Even the most pessimistic of us still gotta dream. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

We are fans of the relationship between the team and us as a fan since in most cases the Sox have been a big part of our lives. That is hard to just let go of when it has been part of your DNA for decades. 

Right, I can't see myself letting go either. I've got those great, great memories of being a lifelong fan. That said, it's got to be more than memories because I am attached to the team in the here and now. Just wondering what exactly it is I'm attached to.

On 5/28/2024 at 10:17 AM, WhiteSox2023 said:

When your team has a collection of bad young major leaguers and old crappy veterans and you know your owner will never approve signing top free agents, what else is there to hope for than prospects turning into something?

I hope they move and the city is indifferent.  That’s the hope I cling to at this point.

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2024 at 8:10 PM, nrockway said:

take it up with Mike Clevinger. 

I don't blame him. Still, what else am I gonna watch on TV? Real Housewives of Atlanta really took a nosedive after whatsherface left and whatshisname died of old age. 

thought you were tellin me my boy kicked the bucket or something, i was like wait what? ?

10 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

OK, this hits and I get it, I need to understand something though, because I even question myself. Indulge me...

We love the White Sox, but:

We hate the ownership

We hate the management.

We can't stand the current players because they have poor ethic, talent, and interest.

Any worthwhile players now or in the future will be let go once they become too expensive anyway.

So, what exactly are we fans of?

We only hate all those things since they let Renteria go. We are not MLB worthy the last few years. The team they put together for this season was an insult to our intelligence. We all knew this was an abysmal team in January.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Right, I can't see myself letting go either. I've got those great, great memories of being a lifelong fan. That said, it's got to be more than memories because I am attached to the team in the here and now. Just wondering what exactly it is I'm attached to.

In a vacuum though, what "great, great memories" do we have? 2005, Frank's big nights, and the black out game? What else? For the most part this franchise has been as irrelevant and boring as any in all of major sports for the better part of 3 decades

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I hope they move and the city is indifferent.  That’s the hope I cling to at this point.

I get that way when JR makes a threat. My thought is then move you asshole. But someone pointed out that as an out of town fan that's really unfair. Which I think is fair. 

I do miss my ignorant fan days when I'd just go to game after game not knowing how horrible the franchise really was. 

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 1

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

In a vacuum though, what "great, great memories" do we have? 2005, Frank's big nights, and the black out game? What else? For the most part this franchise has been as irrelevant and boring as any in all of major sports for the better part of 3 decades

It depends on how old you are.

For example I was born in 1955.

I was 13 before I even knew what a losing White Sox season was.

The time period from 1951-1967 was excellent.

1972 (Dick Allen) and 1977 (South Side Hit Men) were memorable years.

The "new look" White Sox from 1981-1985 had a good run.

1990-1996 was nothing to complain about overall.

Then 2000-2006 was very good with a World Series title.

Since 2007 though basically it has been dogshit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Well I go back to the 70’s and 80’s. A fair amount of those teams stunk but they had a certain personality and funky flair that had a fitting home in the old park. It’s odd; you liked them and there was a tangible player-fan relationship. You wanted them to win often accepting they just weren’t going to. I don’t get any of that right now. Maybe winning will inspire it but it was there with or without the wins in the old days. 

…Or maybe I’m just old and crotchety

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hi8is said:

I’d say for the sake of sanity it is very sound to root against this team.

There's no reason to cheer for the Sox on a given night. I mean when your SS is DeJong and 2B is Lopez and 1B is automatic out Vaughn and catcher is the worst in all of baseball and the outfield is a bucket of spam led by .200 Beni, yes you can't cheer for this club. And maybe actively root for losses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

For me to root for the Sox to lose is right there with cheering for my property taxes go up and my 401k to tank.

Objectively, this is stupid.

• Like 1

I've been a fan for almost 50 years now.  Last night was the first time this season I turned on a Sox game.  Saw them strand Vaughn on 3rd with no outs.  Turned it off and probably won't watch again this year.

As long as J.R. owns this team, I simply have lost any passion I once had for them.  

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

3 minutes ago, wolves01 said:

As long as J.R. owns this team, I simply have lost any passion I once had for them.

I was in the same boat, but I've embraced the suck - I'm pissed when they win now.

I want this organization to be a full-blown national embarrassment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, dohnut said:

I was in the same boat, but I've embraced the suck - I'm pissed when they win now.

I want this organization to be a full-blown national embarrassment.

Many would say they already are.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Falstaff said:

For me to root for the Sox to lose is right there with cheering for my property taxes go up and my 401k to tank.

If your property taxes go up it means your house is worth more.  

When the markets go in the tank, buy like crazy for the inevitable rally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It depends on how old you are.

For example I was born in 1955.

I was 13 before I even knew what a losing White Sox season was.

The time period from 1951-1967 was excellent.

1972 (Dick Allen) and 1977 (South Side Hit Men) were memorable years.

The "new look" White Sox from 1981-1985 had a good run.

1990-1996 was nothing to complain about overall.

Then 2000-2006 was very good with a World Series title.

Since 2007 though basically it has been dogshit. 

Of course 1994 had the season cancelled when the White Sox were poised to reach the World Series.  The person spearheading the shutdown was Reinsdorf.  

He doesn’t get credit for anything post 1994.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If your property taxes go up it means your house is worth more.  

When the markets go in the tank, buy like crazy for the inevitable rally.

Not many mom and pop investors have the cojones to double down in situations like 1998-2002, 2007-2009 and then 2020-2021.

The huge institutional investors and billionaires are the ones to clean up.