Rooting against the Sox

3 minutes ago, T R U said:

My preference is they lose every game. Even if there’s only a small chance total embarrassment forces changes, I’ll take it. 

There’s way too many lousy and unlikeable players on this team, maybe things will change at the end of July.

Does being lousy make them unlikable  ? I think in many fans eyes the answer is yes.

What did Leo Duricher used to say ? Nice guys finish last.

In a way that's correct.You need an edge,a fierceness, a fire that burns within you because you want to win so badly. You want to overpower your opponent, break their will. You sort of have to be ,well , a jerk, at least during the game. But it's probably easier if you're always a jerk.

Not sure changing the culture to a bunch of less talented choir boys is the answer.

You need a ton of talent in every part of the organization and it ain't cheap and they are usually ruthless.

• Like 1

Getting angry about anything related to this team - Reinsdorf, the injuries to Eloy/Yoan/Luis Robert Jr, Getz, Pedro, Schriffen, the lousy players - seems like a huge waste of time and energy. I still follow them because I am a Sox fan and I love baseball. I will be happy when Reinsdorf's ownership comes to an end and we can clean house. And Schriffen might be a goofball but he's OUR goofball so the Score can eat a dick. As far as this season goes, it's incredible how bad they are - it's like having front row seats to the crash of the Hindenburg but it takes 6 months.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, cuban_sammiches said:

Getting angry about anything related to this team - Reinsdorf, the injuries to Eloy/Yoan/Luis Robert Jr, Getz, Pedro, Schriffen, the lousy players - seems like a huge waste of time and energy. I still follow them because I am a Sox fan and I love baseball. I will be happy when Reinsdorf's ownership comes to an end and we can clean house. And Schriffen might be a goofball but he's OUR goofball so the Score can eat a dick. As far as this season goes, it's incredible how bad they are - it's like having front row seats to the crash of the Hindenburg but it takes 6 months.

100%. I cringe multiple times a game listening to him talk about baseball, but his heart and pride is exactly where it should be. He's a homer and Benetti was not one, Benetti's the kinda guy who would've seen the Sox lose on that terrible infield fly call and been like, "yeah that's a reasonable call, it sucks but it's fair, the umpires do a hard job and don't get the thanks they deserve". Schriffen at least has the right reaction to BS, he knows which team he's representing and isn't interviewing for a national job. IMO, the primary duty of the home team announcer is to be a homer. I would've hoped he knew more about baseball, but he's got some time. The tools are right.

• Hawk 1
  • Paper Bag 1

The Sox have dug such a hole that the only coverage of this team should be media members who cover the team mocking the team, criticizing the team, wondering aloud day after day how it could get this bad. The Sox deserve this. There's nothing positive going on involving this team.

No players except Crochet worth following really. I mean Lee is a nice surprise and Ramos but there's no reason to report as if there are any positives with the franchise. Even Crochet is gonna be shut down at some ridiculously early date. 

Since our people in charge are not treating this like a competitive sport, I truly wish they'd just do wacky promotions like guest announcers for games, multiple managers the rest of the season (after they fire Pedro). The Sox are not worthy of being in MLB so I just wish they'd make it a Veeck-like comedy show. Maybe even show Stooges shorts on the scoreboard during the games or fireworks after every game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

The Sox have dug such a hole that the only coverage of this team should be media members who cover the team mocking the team, criticizing the team, wondering aloud day after day how it could get this bad. The Sox deserve this. There's nothing positive going on involving this team.

No players except Crochet worth following really. I mean Lee is a nice surprise and Ramos but there's no reason to report as if there are any positives with the franchise. Even Crochet is gonna be shut down at some ridiculously early date. 

Since our people in charge are not treating this like a competitive sport, I truly wish they'd just do wacky promotions like guest announcers for games, multiple managers the rest of the season (after they fire Pedro). The Sox are not worthy of being in MLB so I just wish they'd make it a Veeck-like comedy show. Maybe even show Stooges shorts on the scoreboard during the games or fireworks after every game.

With Bill Walton's death today at age 71 from cancer, that game he did out on the West Coast with Benetti really stands out now...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

With Bill Walton's death today at age 71 from cancer, that game he did out on the West Coast with Benetti really stands out now...

RIP to Mr Walton, a basketball legend and an even better sports commentator. Funniest and most insightful motherfucker to transition from sport to commentary, there's nobody like him to take up that mantle. maybe Bob Uecker is like that, but certainly nobody under the age of 40. I might've thought Draymond Green, but now he's like "taxation is theft, I'm going to beat the s%*# out of some random guy on the other team" and nobody really wants to listen to that. 

7 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

At this point, I want them to keep losing. In my eyes it means the faster they accunulate losses, the faster necessary changes will happen. Whether or not we should trust the change-makers is another conversation.

Necessary change is not necessarily the correct changes under Jerry. They’re never going to  their minor league foundation right. We’re waiting for decades. It should sink in. Not happening. At this point, losses are fun just because Jerry is humiliated. If he has any shame.

4 hours ago, nrockway said:

100%. I cringe multiple times a game listening to him talk about baseball, but his heart and pride is exactly where it should be. He's a homer and Benetti was not one, Benetti's the kinda guy who would've seen the Sox lose on that terrible infield fly call and been like, "yeah that's a reasonable call, it sucks but it's fair, the umpires do a hard job and don't get the thanks they deserve". Schriffen at least has the right reaction to BS, he knows which team he's representing and isn't interviewing for a national job. IMO, the primary duty of the home team announcer is to be a homer. I would've hoped he knew more about baseball, but he's got some time. The tools are right.

Homers are the worst kind of fan for a terrible organization to have

• Like 1

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

Homers are the worst kind of fan for a terrible organization to have

No they're not. That's what you're supposed to be, a fan of the home team. If you're not a fan of the home team, get bent, pick a new team. You might've been a fairweather Devil Rays fan last year like we have all these people at Comiskey rooting on the Orioles. Go be with them. I can't believe there are so many fans who stick with the team, post on the forum, despite it apparently making them miserable. Pick a new hobby, guy, there are 1000 different things you can do that might bring you happiness and peace. For me, I'd prefer to watch a good baseball team, but I like Chicago sports and I'll still enjoy my time watching this bad Sox team and its better minor league affiliates. There's plenty to discuss and if the game isn't entertaining, I'll turn it off and maybe speed through the highlights later.

I reached a point with the Bulls where I couldn't watch anymore. I used to watch nearly every game but the past couple seasons I've watched maybe a handful per year. I'm still a fan, but I can't watch them in their present form. At least with the Sox they fired some of the key losers and this is the first year of pain after ripping off the bandaid covering a long neglected, festering wound. I still post on a Bulls forum, but I don't pray for them to lose. Going into the season, I hoped they'd prove me wrong and were actually a good team and Karnisovas knows what he's doing. I watched several of those games where Coby was getting hot and the Bulls were on a winning streak. Didn't last because the team is built to fail, much like the Sox of yesteryear. If the Bulls actually decided to rebuild, I'd probably come around and watch some games, a bunch of young guys try to make a name for themselves. That entertains me even if they lose. I like watching a rebuilding team. The Sox are basically in that position, though it goes past the 26 man roster and the churn of 30-something bums. They made the decision to fire the executives and rebuild, even if they pretended they would win. That is clearly a step in the right direction from last year, and yeah this year sucks, but there's clearly some talent in the organization. Though people seemingly want to write off Colson after 200 at bats and only decent, not eye popping, numbers at AAA

22 minutes ago, nrockway said:

No they're not. That's what you're supposed to be, a fan of the home team. If you're not a fan of the home team, get bent, pick a new team. You might've been a fairweather Devil Rays fan last year like we have all these people at Comiskey rooting on the Orioles. Go be with them. I can't believe there are so many fans who stick with the team, post on the forum, despite it apparently making them miserable. Pick a new hobby, guy, there are 1000 different things you can do that might bring you happiness and peace. For me, I'd prefer to watch a good baseball team, but I like Chicago sports and I'll still enjoy my time watching this bad Sox team and its better minor league affiliates. There's plenty to discuss and if the game isn't entertaining, I'll turn it off and maybe speed through the highlights later.

I reached a point with the Bulls where I couldn't watch anymore. I used to watch nearly every game but the past couple seasons I've watched maybe a handful per year. I'm still a fan, but I can't watch them in their present form. At least with the Sox they fired some of the key losers and this is the first year of pain after ripping off the bandaid covering a long neglected, festering wound. I still post on a Bulls forum, but I don't pray for them to lose. Going into the season, I hoped they'd prove me wrong and were actually a good team and Karnisovas knows what he's doing. I watched several of those games where Coby was getting hot and the Bulls were on a winning streak. Didn't last because the team is built to fail, much like the Sox of yesteryear. If the Bulls actually decided to rebuild, I'd probably come around and watch some games, a bunch of young guys try to make a name for themselves. That entertains me even if they lose. I like watching a rebuilding team. The Sox are basically in that position, though it goes past the 26 man roster and the churn of 30-something bums. They made the decision to fire the executives and rebuild, even if they pretended they would win. That is clearly a step in the right direction from last year, and yeah this year sucks, but there's clearly some talent in the organization. Though people seemingly want to write off Colson after 200 at bats and only decent, not eye popping, numbers at AAA

Standards are important. Some fans aren’t bought cheap, and resent being taken for granted. If you want to be a doormat, be my guest. Don’t act like it’s supposed to be the most appropriate kind of fan there is. Fan the way you want to sir. I don’t have to believe it helps the club.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, nrockway said:

You guys should be patriotic Sox fans. Critical of the morons in charge, objective about the performance on the field, watch the game and hope for a win. I think, in a way, you're disrespecting yourself by considering yourself a fan and wishing for losses. Give up the fandom, find a new nation if you feel that way. I'm gonna keep rooting for these unlikable losers, a brighter future is on the horizon. 

big-lebowski-memes-16.gif

Edited by 4OCS
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Standards are important. Some fans aren’t bought cheap, and resent being taken for granted. If you want to be a doormat, be my guest. Don’t act like it’s supposed to be the most appropriate kind of fan there is. Fan the way you want to sir. I don’t have to believe it helps the club.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but we're talking about wanting the team to lose. What kind of fan is that? Not much of one if you ask me. This dumb thread could turn into an interesting discussion on what it means to be a sports fan. Why do we follow a certain team? Why stick with the Sox even though Reinsdorf is incompetent and undying? If it's a geography thing, the Cubs are pretty good. If it's a more specific geographical thing, the south side team versus the north side one, the Sox might be somewhat more meaningful to you. Otherwise, why not just pick another team? Personally, I really like the Bulls and Sox and couldn't imagine rooting for any of their 29 competitors. How else do you pick a team? I'd like to maybe start watching the Premier League, but how do you pick a team to follow? My brother likes Liverpool but I don't know how he arrived at that decision. Liverpool seems like a cool place with cool people, maybe that's why. Erling Haaland is a dynamic talent, but rooting for Man City feels like rooting for the Yankees. Lame.

• TLR 1

So I am unknowledgeable on the new draft rules. However if i am correct no matter how bad the sox play they wont have a top pick. If i am right that is literally the worst part of this season. Our lone chance at getting the number 1 pick wont happen no matter how bad we are.

According to Baseball reference.com. the Sox  have a $16.5M Team Option for Eloy Jiminez for 2025, or a $3M Buyout.

So the Sox can Buyout Eloy's 2025 for $3 Million and save $13.5 Million and have that money to sign another DH....maybe Vlady Jr. if Bluejays don't want to pay him 20+ Million.

2 hours ago, venom4789 said:

So I am unknowledgeable on the new draft rules. However if i am correct no matter how bad the sox play they wont have a top pick. If i am right that is literally the worst part of this season. Our lone chance at getting the number 1 pick wont happen no matter how bad we are.

It doesn't matter if they pick 1 or 30, they'll get the same result because they suck at drafting, or developing, or both. Probably the latter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wegner said:

This offense is just so god awful. It really is amazing how a group of major league hitters cannot score against anyone. They are not facing Bruce Chen every night. You would think they would get to a shitty bullpen guy occasionally but basically no they can't. I don't want to see them lose but I am resigned to the fact that they will 80-90% of the time.

They have 1 qualified hitter with an OPS over .600.

• Paper Bag 3

12 hours ago, nrockway said:

It sucks to watch a losing team, you want the people responsible for its construction to face some consequences, but I can't understand the desire to want your team to lose.

There are some logical reasons to want your team to lose, ie to tank for a better pick or to force the hand on firing executives/coaches. Well, Hahn and Kenny already got fired and there's no doing better than the 10th pick. There is still some pride in sports fandom, it's an analogy for pride in the place you're from, a less chauvinistic kind of nationalism. If you're a patriotic citizen, you might not like the people in charge but you don't want your country to fail, you want it to get better.

You guys should be patriotic Sox fans. Critical of the morons in charge, objective about the performance on the field, watch the game and hope for a win. I think, in a way, you're disrespecting yourself by considering yourself a fan and wishing for losses. Give up the fandom, find a new nation if you feel that way. I'm gonna keep rooting for these unlikable losers, a brighter future is on the horizon. 

f*** off with this “find a new nation” s%*#.  Don’t conflate patriotism and sports fandom like this, it’s fucking disgusting.  Fan how you want and mind your own business 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

In my mind, the 2 fastest options for a turnaround for this team are:

1) embarrassment through a LOT of losing.

2) death of a human being (JR).

I will openly root for (1), given those choices.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I could never root against the Sox but these last 2 years are trying my patience and am so close to giving up and just make the Rays my team, the Rays will never be in my DNA like the Sox have been for me since 1952 but Reinsdorf is destoying the franchise to what end I don’t know. His miserly ways down through the years has given us inept GMs, inept managers, inept players, an inept farm system with horrible scouting and development along with horrible analytics. I just don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel as long as JR is the owner of the franchise.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

35 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I could never root against the Sox but these last 2 years are trying my patience and am so close to giving up and just make the Rays my team, the Rays will never be in my DNA like the Sox have been for me since 1952 but Reinsdorf is destoying the franchise to what end I don’t know. His miserly ways down through the years has given us inept GMs, inept managers, inept players, an inept farm system with horrible scouting and development along with horrible analytics. I just don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel as long as JR is the owner of the franchise.

Agreed. There is no reality where I root against them. That being said, my apathy is at a level I never thought possible. I have been trying to follow other teams, but it just doesn’t work. It’s so forced. 

Also, I do feel bad for the players. Including the minor leaguers, who have hopes of developing their skills and becoming successful major leaguers.