Angel Hernandez retiring

He was an average umpire that became the designated whipping boy after he filed a racial discrimination lawsuit. Whether he was right or wrong, I dunno, but that's the only reason he's the laughingstock of the MLB fan and target of our scorn. as I understand it, players seemed to like him. Fans just buy into whatever propaganda they're told. 

Anyway, I'm 100% here for Junior Valentine becoming the new Angel. He has a dumber name (junior is your first name? what the f*** kind of name is that? valentine, what do you need some kisses, bitchboy?) and he's funny looking, I'm not even sure he has the ability to grow facial hair, pathetic!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nrockway said:

He was an average umpire that became the designated whipping boy after he filed a racial discrimination lawsuit. Whether he was right or wrong, I dunno, but that's the only reason he's the laughingstock of the MLB fan and target of our scorn. as I understand it, players seemed to like him. Fans just buy into whatever propaganda they're told. 

Anyway, I'm 100% here for Junior Valentine becoming the new Angel. He has a dumber name (junior is your first name? what the f*** kind of name is that? valentine, what do you need some kisses, bitchboy?) and he's funny looking, I'm not even sure he has the ability to grow facial hair, pathetic!

No. This is just wrong. He has statistically the worst umpired game on record.  His reputation was also there before the lawsuit.

A 2010 ESPN survey showed that 22% of major league ballplayers asked identified Hernández as the worst umpire in the major leagues.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

No. This is just wrong. He has statistically the worst umpired game on record.  His reputation was also there before the lawsuit.

A 2010 ESPN survey showed that 22% of major league ballplayers asked identified Hernández as the worst umpire in the major leagues.

Imagine staning for the worst umpire in baseball this side of Joe West.

• Haha 1

Umpire auditor had him ranked last in mlb. The called strike three in first clip was almost 7 inches outside and furthest they had seen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I mean, this is shockingly not accurate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Umpire auditor had him ranked last in mlb. The called strike three in first clip was almost 7 inches outside and furthest they had seen. 

When Enrico Pallazzo is better behind the plate, you are a bad unpire.

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

BS he was the designated whipping boy ling before his racial discrimination suit, due to decades of outlandish calls

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Snowy Demon said:

Probably this is a forced retirement 

Yep, it was a negotiated retirement.  The MLB paid him to retire.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/05/27/angel-hernandez-retires-mlb-umpire-stats/73873676007/

MLB and Hernández had spent the past two weeks negotiating a financial settlement before reaching a resolution over the weekend.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/05/27/angel-hernandez-retires-mlb-umpire-stats/73873676007/

He was lambasted on social media earlier on April 12 this season when Texas Rangers rookie Wyatt Langford struck out on three consecutive pitches that were outside of the strike zone. He missed on seven other pitchers that were at least three inches outside the strike zone.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I mean, this is shockingly not accurate 

You can look up those umpire scorecards and see that Angel is pedestrian. Not good or bad. You guys could literally look at the data and decide for yourself. Every single umpire could be the designated whipping boy, but we chose Angel. This is the reason why. Again, I don't say Angel had a good case to begin with with his lawsuit, but this is definitely propaganda to punish an uppity employee and everybody just lapped up the MLB's propaganda. 

• TLR 1

6 hours ago, Snowy Demon said:

Probably this is a forced retirement 

It was reported in the press that he was negotiating a retirement settlement with MLB.   He was the worst MLB ump in my life time.  He was the only ump I checked to see before games if he was umpiring.  He was the gold standard of bad umpiring. Good riddance. 

5 hours ago, nrockway said:

You can look up those umpire scorecards and see that Angel is pedestrian. Not good or bad. You guys could literally look at the data and decide for yourself. Every single umpire could be the designated whipping boy, but we chose Angel. This is the reason why. Again, I don't say Angel had a good case to begin with with his lawsuit, but this is definitely propaganda to punish an uppity employee and everybody just lapped up the MLB's propaganda. 

https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/news/umpire-angel-hernandez-finishes-regular-season-with-worst-rating-in-mlb

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nrockway said:

Seems like the numbers back up what everyone is saying, that not only by the eye test but also statistically he is one of the worst in the game.  Propaganda indeed

IMG_3830.jpeg

• Thanks 1