Angel Hernandez retiring

10 hours ago, nrockway said:

He was an average umpire that became the designated whipping boy after he filed a racial discrimination lawsuit. Whether he was right or wrong, I dunno, but that's the only reason he's the laughingstock of the MLB fan and target of our scorn. as I understand it, players seemed to like him. Fans just buy into whatever propaganda they're told. 

Anyway, I'm 100% here for Junior Valentine becoming the new Angel. He has a dumber name (junior is your first name? what the f*** kind of name is that? valentine, what do you need some kisses, bitchboy?) and he's funny looking, I'm not even sure he has the ability to grow facial hair, pathetic!

Wrong.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, nrockway said:

You can look up those umpire scorecards and see that Angel is pedestrian. Not good or bad. You guys could literally look at the data and decide for yourself. Every single umpire could be the designated whipping boy, but we chose Angel. This is the reason why. Again, I don't say Angel had a good case to begin with with his lawsuit, but this is definitely propaganda to punish an uppity employee and everybody just lapped up the MLB's propaganda. 

This premise that the majority of baseball fans are even aware that Angel Hernandez filed a lawsuit is crazy, let alone that being the reason, not the crazy blown calls, are the reason he is a target of ridicule. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Let this be a lesson in life kids.  Forget hard work, find something you bad enough at that people will pay you to go away.  It's like the Peter Principle on steroids.  Maybe we could call it the Getz Gain?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nrockway said:

He was an average umpire that became the designated whipping boy after he filed a racial discrimination lawsuit. Whether he was right or wrong, I dunno, but that's the only reason he's the laughingstock of the MLB fan and target of our scorn. as I understand it, players seemed to like him. Fans just buy into whatever propaganda they're told. 

Anyway, I'm 100% here for Junior Valentine becoming the new Angel. He has a dumber name (junior is your first name? what the f*** kind of name is that? valentine, what do you need some kisses, bitchboy?) and he's funny looking, I'm not even sure he has the ability to grow facial hair, pathetic!

That's like saying Grifol is an average MLB manager.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, nrockway said:

You can look up those umpire scorecards and see that Angel is pedestrian. Not good or bad. You guys could literally look at the data and decide for yourself. Every single umpire could be the designated whipping boy, but we chose Angel. This is the reason why. Again, I don't say Angel had a good case to begin with with his lawsuit, but this is definitely propaganda to punish an uppity employee and everybody just lapped up the MLB's propaganda. 

He was by far the worst of all umpires and that’s why the MLB paid him to retire.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

Just now, Milkman delivers said:

I understand you guys are backing up your arguments with stats, but I refuse to believe that Joe West wasn’t the worst ever. He was certainly the least likable.

He was the definition of an arrogant umpire who thought fans were coming out to see him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I understand you guys are backing up your arguments with stats, but I refuse to believe that Joe West wasn’t the worst ever. He was certainly the least likable.

Joe West was almost comical.  He was the definition of the ump show and seemed to love the fact that he was despised.  Hernandez was just a brutally bad umpire that seemed clueless that he was actually bad.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Joe West was almost comical.  He was the definition of the ump show and seemed to love the fact that he was despised.  Hernandez was just a brutally bad umpire that seemed clueless that he was actually bad.

I dunno, Angel always seemed like a guy who made a bad call not because he made a mistake, but rather because “f*** you that’s why”

• Like 2

He was always in the bottom 20% but never last from all of the reports I read. He was consistently bad and never got better. It seems like he just had a longer career the folks each year ranked lower improved or moved on. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tony said:

This premise that the majority of baseball fans are even aware that Angel Hernandez filed a lawsuit is crazy, let alone that being the reason, not the crazy blown calls, are the reason he is a target of ridicule. 

I didn’t even know about Hernandez’s lawsuit until I read the big long article from JR’s USA Today minion Bob.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Exactly.  I almost think umps like Cowboy Joe West and Angel Hernandez made strange calls to put the attention on themselves and make the game about them rather than the teams and players.  I think the MLB is looking to phase out all of these “character” umps.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He was by far the worst of all umpires and that’s why the MLB paid him to retire.

They paid him to leave to avoid a lawsuit.

18 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Umpire auditor had him ranked last in mlb. The called strike three in first clip was almost 7 inches outside and furthest they had seen. 

He was the worst, and also the most famous MLB ump. People only remember the worse umpires and not pedestrian umps. I myself remember umps like Angel, Bucknor, Laz Diaz and of course Country Joe West, but dont ask me about the better umps, don’t remember any.