FutureSox: White Sox 5 Round Draft Projection

James wants to give me a heart attack by having the Sox pass on Jac and Hagen.

But also, taking a prep player does make sense. I'd just be devastated passing on either of those two.

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

But also, taking a prep player does make sense. I'd just be devastated passing on either of those two.

I was kind of thinking the same thing.  I can see passing on the 1B, but I can't see this organization passing on a dominant lefty unless there is some red flag out there.  I guess the other thing is that they have some kind of structured plan already in place with the HS kid taking a bit less so they can spend it over the rest of the picks, including some post round 10 stuff.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was kind of thinking the same thing.  I can see passing on the 1B, but I can't see this organization passing on a dominant lefty unless there is some red flag out there.  I guess the other thing is that they have some kind of structured plan already in place with the HS kid taking a bit less so they can spend it over the rest of the picks, including some post round 10 stuff.

I hope they don't pass on Smith simply because of what appears to be strong starting pitching depth in the minors.  If they pass for another reason, so be it. 

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

45 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I hope they don't pass on Smith simply because of what appears to be strong starting pitching depth in the minors.  If they pass for another reason, so be it. 

He just seems like the exact kind of guy the team falls in love with.  A high ceiling pitcher who is close the majors and could be at the front of their rotation for a LONG time.

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

this is too weak of a draft to underslot first round. get one of the top 11 sure thing pieces and then just pray beyond that they find some diamonds later. 

For the record, no one is a "sure thing"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Is the plan for Caglianone to stick as a pitcher/reliever? If that is the case then non-premium position does not worry me. That would be a ton of extra value albeit another variable.

All the pundits I see are "hitting is his true ceiling, let him focus there," (especially in lieu of having had TJ) but I'm in the "f*** it, let's get weird" and let him pitch unless he starts to fail/it hinders his hitting.

Here's his pipeline grades. It feels too good to be true:

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 70 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 65

Scouting grades: Fastball: 70 | Slider: 50 | Cutter: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 40 | Overall: 50

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Is the plan for Caglianone to stick as a pitcher/reliever? If that is the case then non-premium position does not worry me. That would be a ton of extra value albeit another variable.

Most publications are indicating they wouldn't continue to pitch him. Law wrote the following in his latest mock where he has the Sox picking Jac:

I don’t know if they’d let Cags continue to pitch, but I doubt it given the risk he’ll tear his UCL again and the fact that he’s almost a dead-certain reliever as a pitcher.

Edited by DirtySox

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Most publications are indicating they wouldn't continue to pitch him. Law wrote the following in his latest mock where he has the Sox picking Jac:

1. Draft Jac
2. Let him pitch
3. Resurrect Colas' "Cuban Ohtani" moniker.
4. Have Jactani and Cuban Ohtani as lefty monster mashers and relievers
5. Profit???
6. Wake up
7. Pedro has benched them for Martin Maldonado and John Brebbia

• Haha 1

I hope they go BPA in the first even if it is a pitcher.  You never have enough pitching and with the league wide shortage any surplus can fill your position player needs.  We seem decent at developing pitching as well so unless things have changed in position player development could you argue pitching (injury risk) is no riskier than position player (poor development history)?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I hope they go BPA in the first even if it is a pitcher.  You never have enough pitching and with the league wide shortage any surplus can fill your position player needs.  We seem decent at developing pitching as well so unless things have changed in position player development could you argue pitching (injury risk) is no riskier than position player (poor development history)?

BPA is always one of things that sounds great on the internet, but tougher to measure in reality.  There is always the consideration of ceiling vs floor, plus how far away from that ceiling a player is. 

If Player A and B are roughly equal in the eyes of your scouts, how do you break that tie?

There is always how they fit into the cap structure for the entire draft too.  Like is Player A better at full price, vs Player B at a discount, but if that also allows you to overspend and get Player C, do you come out ahead of just Player A?

58 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

If he’s a reliever, don’t let him pitch.  Unless they think he can’t miss as a hitter, draft someone else. 

I don't fully get it - if he's a reliever, let him start and than leverage him as a high leverage reliever too.  That is still a weapon and an effective use of resources.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quin said:

I’m not a fan at all of taking Cags. I hope they don’t do that. Law linked them though. 

8 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

this is too weak of a draft to underslot first round. get one of the top 11 sure thing pieces and then just pray beyond that they find some diamonds later. 

Rainer is a top 10 guy in the class 

8 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

No but he’s a first baseman 

6 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

I hope it’s pitching or an up the middle athlete 

I should probably add that I appreciate the rest of this mock James, especially info on Dix, Stovall and Sirota and why they actually make sense for the Sox to draft (local, previously scouted, etc).

The toolsy prep also matches your previous assessment of Shirley as a big game hunter, which has been working, so I won't complain if that's the route he takes.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't fully get it - if he's a reliever, let him start and than leverage him as a high leverage reliever too.  That is still a weapon and an effective use of resources.  

Relief pitching would provide scant leverage for s top five pick. this organization  has clowned around with relief pitching far too many times in the first round.
Plus how many 2-way players have we seen a major league baseball? One effective one. Pass.

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

I should probably add that I appreciate the rest of this mock James, especially info on Dix, Stovall and Sirota and why they actually make sense for the Sox to draft (local, previously scouted, etc).

The toolsy prep also matches your previous assessment of Shirley as a big game hunter, which has been working, so I won't complain if that's the route he takes.

I’m sure there are some college guys who they won’t pass on. I’m just not sure who that is. McDaniel had them taking Smith today and also noted that they’d likely take any of Condon, Bazzana, Cags or Burns as well. 

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just curious?  What would someone like Rainer or Griffin get in terms of NIL money playing in the SEC (Texas, LSU)?  Is it really possible to go under slot on a top HS guy?  I get Chase Burns was 'established' , but was rumored to be offered $1M for a year at LSU.

10 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

Just curious?  What would someone like Rainer or Griffin get in terms of NIL money playing in the SEC (Texas, LSU)?  Is it really possible to go under slot on a top HS guy?  I get Chase Burns was 'established' , but was rumored to be offered $1M for a year at LSU.

They won’t be making the $6.5-$7 million they’d get at 5 overall, that’s for sure 

James, the last two years we have taken injured pitchers who were " first round talent if not hurt " in the second.  Since we have an extra pick this year, is there anyone out there that might fit that profile?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

James, the last two years we have taken injured pitchers who were " first round talent if not hurt " in the second.  Since we have an extra pick this year, is there anyone out there that might fit that profile?

GOOD QUESTION GOOD QUESTION!

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

I know Grant Taylor had high first round potential if he had been healthy and pitched like was hoped.