Clevinger to IL, Woodford coming up, Peralta DFA Part II

43 minutes ago, T R U said:

Seems pretty obvious to me they signed Clevinger to try and salvage an atrocious start. He was available to all other teams for little commitment and no one wanted him.

It’s pretty funny how all this scrambling for players by Getz hasn’t really moved the needle on their record, although it sure has made him look like a half-assed GM with zero plan.

59 minutes ago, flavum said:

Woodford…pitcher

Wofford…occasional NCAA bid 

And the Sox have this in common with Wofford....they are both excited to just win 1 game.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

They paid $3M for a guy that put up 2.2 WAR last year. Of course it was worth it. 

In an already lost season, pitching poorly, and with this new injury (the last two being hindsight I realize), Clevinger appears to be a waste of money just like most of Getz’s other offseason acquisitions.

Brebbia — $7 million

Maldonado — $4.5 million

Nicky Lopez — $4.3 million

Mike Clevinger — $3 million

Mike Soroka — $3 million

Chris Flexen — $1.75 million

$23.55 million wasted on complete and utter crap.  All players that are DFA candidates.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

In an already lost season, pitching poorly, and with this new injury (the last two being hindsight I realize), Clevinger appears to be a waste of money just like most of Getz’s other offseason acquisitions.

Brebbia — $7 million

Maldonado — $4.5 million

Mike Soroka — $3 million

$23.55 million wasted on complete and utter crap.  All players that are DFA candidates.

Three of those guys aren't like the others. Lopez, Martin, Brebbia are 16 of that 25.5 million (roughly 2/3) and should never, ever have been brought in. The other four guys were decent bets to turn 10 cents into 20. Just didn't work out. Gotta separate decent process from the results.

• Like 2

It's one thing to look at Clevinger numbers from last year.

Starting out so late...the odds were never in his favor, not with that 5-6 year injury history.

His legacy will be the trade that essentially rebuilt the Guardians...along with all that off the field stuff.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Three of those guys aren't like the others. Lopez, Martin, Brebbia are 16 of that 25.5 million (roughly 2/3) and should never, ever have been brought in. The other four guys were decent bets to turn 10 cents into 20. Just didn't work out. Gotta separate decent process from the results.

I guess.  The timing on bringing Clevinger in was questionable.  He still needed to get ramped up to pitch and the Sox had already been on pace for a historically bad season.

Getz did hit on Fedde and Pham, while DeJong and Tim Hill look like meh signings.

Getz is about 2 for 10, batting .200.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No Getz success ranks higher than Crochet as a starter so far.

Like Burger and Sale though...most of that success seems to have come from charting their own paths, pushing up against the team's plans for them. 

Same with Rodon's 2021 season...in a way.  He was pretty much an afterthought with his career teetering on the brink.

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Brebbia — $7 million

Maldonado — $4.5 million

Mike Soroka — $3 million

I believe Chris Flexen is worth what he is being paid. That means we've only wasted 21.8 million. In your face!!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I guess.  The timing on bringing Clevinger in was questionable.  He still needed to get ramped up to pitch and the Sox had already been on pace for a historically bad season.

Getz did hit on Fedde and Pham, while DeJong and Tim Hill look like meh signings.

Getz is about 2 for 10, batting .200.

About the same as Hahn's success rate with FA's.

Pham will come with a cost to the outfield defense until they can push him back to LF.

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Brebbia — $7 million

Maldonado — $4.5 million

Mike Soroka — $3 million

Why would Rick Hahn do this???

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Brebbia — $7 million

Maldonado — $4.5 million

Mike Soroka — $3 million

Combined still less than what they’re paying Moncada this season

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

4 minutes ago, zisk said:

I believe Chris Flexen is worth what he is being paid. That means we've only wasted 21.8 million. In your face!!

Don't forget the Yosimar Cousin Experience.  Probably gets you back close to $24 million down the tubes.

Seriously, maybe Drew Thorpe will be called up for Clevengers spot the next time thru the rotation. He might not have had enough 

rest time to go to night. It won't change a thing in this lost season. I might be more inclined to watch his starts though. Between Crochet,

Fedde and Thorp, I might tune in 60% of the time.

8 minutes ago, zisk said:

Seriously, maybe Drew Thorpe will be called up for Clevengers spot the next time thru the rotation. He might not have had enough 

rest time to go to night. It won't change a thing in this lost season. I might be more inclined to watch his starts though. Between Crochet,

Fedde and Thorp, I might tune in 60% of the time.

Thorpe has nothing left to prove in AA. I wouldn’t mind if they called him up to see if he’s a building block for the next 5+ years. He turns 24 in October so I don’t think they’d be rushing him given his minor league track record too.

23 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Combined still less than what they’re paying Moncada this season

So because Moncada is earning $25M+, Getz has free reign to spend money on crap 

Got it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

So because Moncada is earning $25M+, Getz has free reign to spend money on crap 

Got it.

It’s putting the acquisitions in context. I’m not going to get upset about signing half a dozen guys that cost less than one Yoan Moncada and pretend like I expected them to be anything more than marginal mlb players.

15 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s putting the acquisitions in context. I’m not going to get upset about signing half a dozen guys that cost less than one Yoan Moncada and pretend like I expected them to be anything more than marginal mlb players.

Well, more context:

If the previous director of player development could have developed depth, then they wouldn't have to sign nearly $25 million in shitty roster filler.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well, more context:

If the previous director of player development could have developed depth, then they wouldn't have to sign nearly $25 million in shitty roster filler.

Cool. They’d win 55 games instead of 45. Who cares.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well, more context:

There it is.

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Cool. They’d win 55 games instead of 45. Who cares.

All the other AL Central teams that can't afford to waste all the money that the Sox manage on a yearly basis.

But especially CLE and KC.

• Like 1