5/29 Games

42 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

2-3 good FA position player signings can mask bad drafts. but that requires jerry to die. 

"JR you can sign Harper and Machado to your team on the rise that has 10 top 100 prospects, TA, Abreu and Rodon. They fill needs and will be below market value soon."

JR: "Try low balling."

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Anyone else concerned about Thorpe not missing enough bats? 

Struggling to get to a 9.0 K/9 in the minors does not bode well for major league success. 

He misses plenty of bats. He's probably a number 3-4 starter. He lacks the upside of Schultz, Taylor, and Iriarte, but he has a high-probability of starting in the majors. If he was a sure ace, he wouldn't have been traded twice.

Just now, Timmy U said:

He misses plenty of bats. He's probably a number 3-4 starter. He lacks the upside of Schultz, Taylor, and Iriarte, but he has a high-probability of starting in the majors. If he was a sure ace, he wouldn't have been traded twice.

No I'm concerned he's gonna just be throwing BP up there. 

1 minute ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

No I'm concerned he's gonna just be throwing BP up there. 

Maybe. But his change up is crazy good. It's an odd profile and I prefer hard throwers myself, but you can't argue what he has done in AA. He's the most dominant pitcher in that league.

10 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The numbers back this up.  His line against him is .172/.238/.220/.458, 5.3 hits/9, 0.3 HR/9. That is pretty absurd.  AA Guys are hitting like Andrew Benitendi against Drew Thorpe right now.  Sure it was better when he was putting up 12 K/9, but it is crazy to see that he hard contact is actually dropping as his contact rates have increased.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you watch Thorpe pitch he's clearly pitching to contact. He's putting a lot of pitches right over the plate. In the second inning he got in a bit of a jam and very clearly switched to a strike out strategy and whiffed the next two guys. The irony is his execution overall wasn't that great last night. But he still didn't get hit.

Edited by mac9001