Crochet ejected during rain delay

"I don't know what happened. Something to do with the weather or something. I'm not sure," manager Pedro Grifol said after the game.

Maybe, oh I don't know, go talk to your pitcher about it and find out? Make sure you're on the same page and understand him? Is there something else driving his anger (besides just sucking ass as a team)?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, almagest said:

Maybe, oh I don't know, go talk to your pitcher about it and find out? Make sure you're on the same page and understand him? Is there something else driving his anger (besides just sucking ass as a team)?

Exactly.  He is such a clown.

• Like 4
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, almagest said:

Not to give Pedro the benefit of the doubt, but I am sure he knows and is just not snitching and putting his business out there in case they come back and fine him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not to give Pedro the benefit of the doubt, but I am sure he knows and is just not snitching and putting his business out there in case they come back and fine him.

Then just say that. "You know everybody was a little irked about the delay, umps included. I talked to Garrett about it and we're just going to keep that conversation between us".

Saying "I don't know" is pathetic media management. Everything about Pedro as a manager is a zero, including how he handles what should be softball questions. See the eclipse bullshit as well. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Then just say that. "You know everybody was a little irked about the delay, umps included. I talked to Garrett about it and we're just going to keep that conversation between us".

Saying "I don't know" is pathetic media management. Everything about Pedro as a manager is a zero, including how he handles what should be softball questions. See the eclipse bullshit as well. 

Look Pedro is really bad at this part of his job, but I do believe most of the time when he states he doesn't know, he is just not saying what he knows to protect whoever he is protecting.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look Pedro is really bad at this part of his job, but I do believe most of the time when he states he doesn't know, he is just not saying what he knows to protect whoever he is protecting.

I think this is a non-issue, but being mealy-mouthed just breathes life into the non-issue. He doesn't establish "the statement" on the matter that would put it to rest. He makes the player the lead on the non-story, and it lives on as some sort of mystery for a day or two. Also plays into the narrative that he's losing the clubhouse, because players are getting into tiffs with umpires that the manager isn't even aware of. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I think this is a non-issue, but being mealy-mouthed just breathes life into the non-issue. He doesn't establish "the statement" on the matter that would put it to rest. He makes the player the lead on the non-story, and it lives on as some sort of mystery for a day or two. Also plays into the narrative that he's losing the clubhouse, because players are getting into tiffs with umpires that the manager isn't even aware of. 

I think the issue is people seem to think that Pedro cares what the media and people think.  I believe it is really obvious by what he states and how he states, he doesn't.  He is saying as little as possible to protect his people.  I am more bothered when he does speak up and throws someone under the bus than by when he plays dumb for his players benefit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the issue is people seem to think that Pedro cares what the media and people think.  I believe it is really obvious by what he states and how he states, he doesn't.  He is saying as little as possible to protect his people.  I am more bothered when he does speak up and throws someone under the bus than by when he plays dumb for his players benefit.

I agree with everything here. 

My take is that Grifol further undermines himself by playing dumb, whether he cares or not. He's random in the way he interacts with the media. The "fucking flat" comment was the right comment at the wrong time. There's 30 other games where guys were phoning it in that he could have made that statement, and the clubhouse would agree. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Something as simple as "I've talked to him" or "I'll talk to him" would help make it look like he's not a complete detached boob without exposing Crochet to anything. Better yet would him being actually aware of what happened and able to defend his player + deflect any blame off Crochet and hold umpires accountable for kicking someone out during a damn rain delay, but that's way too much to expect from Grifol.

Edited by almagest

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

Getting the boot in a game nearly over and one that yr not factoring in is....well funny. And so White Sox 

Seems like a great time to get booted. Look at that one 3 hour, 9th inning rain delay they were in that one game. I'd rather get tossed and go home lol

Edit: maybe Garrett is on to something here.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

I'm with SS on this one. Do you have to respond to every question? Did it affect the outcome of the game? Plus, who knows where Crochet was? For all we know he used it as an excuse to get home. He wasn't playing and needed to get some sleep. 

I think Pedro talking to him could wait until today.