Ramos optioned to AAA, corresponding move before Friday's game

Every year...we seem to lose one Top 80-120 prospect.

Last year, Colas.

Hopefully, Ramos can rebound and get back from AA/AAA.

Would have preferred a return to BIRM with how overwhelmed he has looked this time around.

Seems like a pretty important thing for all of those players to develop good chemistry and learn how to win together as a unit.

Is the corresponding move reinstating Robert? Seems too early. Is Shewmake about to get 3 more days of big league meal money? Selfishly, I wanted Ramos back at Birmingham to lengthen out that line up. Now, it's likely Sosa goes back to 2b unless his assignment to the taxi squad is something serious.

23 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Another kid that came up and for the most part just sucked ass. I don't even think it's the players at this point it's the org. It happens too often to be anything but. The core is rotten and the fruit rots around it. 

He's 22 and came straight from AA. He did really well before getting injured. He seemed to have an idea at the plate as he didnt chase bad pitches. He's been young for every stop of his career so far. This to me screams more of a move to try and save Grifol then anything to do with Bryan. 

• Like 3

Don't want to create a new string just for this, but Miami just DFAed Woo Suk Go. Fangraphs had this to say about him:

International Free Agent (SDP)
Age 25.4 Height 6′ 0″ Weight 198 Bat / Thr R / R FV 40
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Curveball Cutter Command Sits/Tops
55/55 45/45 55/60 30/40 93-95 / 98

A powerful, compact athlete with big arm speed, Go is a solid middle-inning reliever with a bevy of offerings. He mostly leans on his mid-90s fastball (sitting 93-95 mph, up to 98) and low-90s cutter, but he’ll occasionally break off a nasty 12-to-6 curveball, too. He led the KBO in saves (42) and K%-BB% (24.6%) in 2022, and was first in strikeout rate among pitchers with at least 30 innings in 2023, his second consecutive season with a K% in the 31-32% range. His feel for release is a bit inconsistent, likely limiting him to the middle innings in MLB.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Don't want to create a new string just for this, but Miami just DFAed Woo Suk Go. Fangraphs had this to say about him:

A powerful, compact athlete with big arm speed, Go is a solid middle-inning reliever with a bevy of offerings. He mostly leans on his mid-90s fastball (sitting 93-95 mph, up to 98) and low-90s cutter, but he’ll occasionally break off a nasty 12-to-6 curveball, too. He led the KBO in saves (42) and K%-BB% (24.6%) in 2022, and was first in strikeout rate among pitchers with at least 30 innings in 2023, his second consecutive season with a K% in the 31-32% range. His feel for release is a bit inconsistent, likely limiting him to the middle innings in MLB.

This team definitely needs more Suk.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Just saw this.  Surprised that the Marlins of all teams would cut this guy over giving him a shot.

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Just saw this.  Surprised that the Marlins of all teams would cut this guy over giving him a shot.

MLBTR says he seems to have lost about 4-6 mph on his fastball, and he's signed for 2 years @ $4.5 million. He probably clears waivers and accepts assignment. 

10 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

MLBTR says he seems to have lost about 4-6 mph on his fastball, and he's signed for 2 years @ $4.5 million. He probably clears waivers and accepts assignment. 

Still not much money for a team to jump on him but the velocity drop would probably deter teams more so than the money owed.

So Ramos was pretty decent in his first 10 games, and struggled a bit in his 5 games since returning, and we decide its time to ship him back down? Sure, watching Danny Mendick at 3B is really good for the future of the organization, 30 years old and all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

So Ramos was pretty decent in his first 10 games, and struggled a bit in his 5 games since returning, and we decide its time to ship him back down? Sure, watching Danny Mendick at 3B is really good for the future of the organization, 30 years old and all.

He was only going to be up until Mendick returned from the IL. But he did well. Then the league adjusted to him, and he's not adjusting back quickly. Now he's going to AAA to get straightened out. It's not a bad move. 

20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Ramos has pathetic stats after a quick start. Makes me sad. He's got some work to do like most of the Sox players.

Ramos was 2-4 tonight for Charlotte. 2 singles. 

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

Does this surprise anyone?  It's part for the course in 2024.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Ramos has pathetic stats after a quick start. Makes me sad. He's got some work to do like most of the Sox players.

5 games, BTW

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, WestEddy said:

It's interesting that the Padres and Marlins both took a look at him and said "no thanks" but I was sorta interested in him this offseason, he's young and has MLB quality stuff, I personally see no reason not to take a flyer on him over any one of the old bums in the bullpen. I think he has plenty of options left, right, do the Marlins have a 40 man crunch or is he just really bad? Or does the new team lose the options when it trades for the player? This seems weird, frankly, why even include him in the deal for Arraez?

Edited by nrockway

5 minutes ago, nrockway said:

It's interesting that the Padres and Marlins both took a look at him and said "no thanks" but I was sorta interested in him this offseason, he's young and has MLB quality stuff, I personally see no reason not to take a flyer on him over any one of the old bums in the bullpen. I think he has plenty of options left, right, do the Marlins have a 40 man crunch or is he just really bad? Or does the new team lose the options when it trades for the player? This seems me as weird, frankly, why even include him in the deal for Arraez?

Also signed Matsui out of JPN and were much happier with him and another guy they picked up on waivers from the Cubs...who has been quite effective recently.

44 minutes ago, nrockway said:

It's interesting that the Padres and Marlins both took a look at him and said "no thanks" but I was sorta interested in him this offseason, he's young and has MLB quality stuff, I personally see no reason not to take a flyer on him over any one of the old bums in the bullpen. I think he has plenty of options left, right, do the Marlins have a 40 man crunch or is he just really bad? Or does the new team lose the options when it trades for the player? This seems me as weird, frankly, why even include him in the deal for Arraez?

the options remain with the player. I think his velocity was down. He's still young, though. Owed $4.5 million over this year and next. 

9 hours ago, nrockway said:

It's interesting that the Padres and Marlins both took a look at him and said "no thanks" but I was sorta interested in him this offseason, he's young and has MLB quality stuff, I personally see no reason not to take a flyer on him over any one of the old bums in the bullpen. I think he has plenty of options left, right, do the Marlins have a 40 man crunch or is he just really bad? Or does the new team lose the options when it trades for the player? This seems weird, frankly, why even include him in the deal for Arraez?

They dumped him to even out salary in that deal.  Somehow between when they scouted the guy in Asia, and when he got here, he went from deceptive in the mid 90s to low 90s and wasn't fooling anyone.