Getz and Barfield as talent evaluators

Posted (edited)

Getz chose Dominic Fletcher over Jake McCarthy in the Christian Mena trade and he apparently relied heavily on Barfield’s advice.  Can we get a re-do?  The Sox got back the worst player of the three involved.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/02/11/mlb-2024-offseason-awards-free-agent-signings/72551453007/

– The White Sox had their choice between outfielder Jake McCarthy or Dominic Fletcher for Diamondbacks pitching prospect Cristian Mena, before taking Fletcher. Certainly, they relied heavily on the advice of assistant GM Josh Barfield, who was the D-backs' former farm director.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Paper Bag 2

Posted (edited)

Fletcher is a guy that from just reading about him and looking at his stats I thought might be a decent pickup. Then you look at his statcast data and watch him play a couple times and there is just nothing there physically. He's 19th percentile running speed and about the same on all the important EV numbers. He has a strong arm but FFS that's not a carrying tool when you can't hit the ball over 300 feet and can't run.

Who is scouting these guys? Whoever it is should be fired.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Paper Bag 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Who is scouting these guys? Whoever it is should be fired.

In this specific case/trade, it was apparently our Assistant GM Josh Barfield, since he had seen both Fletcher and McCarthy play for the D-backs when he was their farm director.  Getz still had to approve it obviously, so they are both responsible.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Paper Bag 2

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

In this specific case/trade, it was apparently our Assistant GM Josh Barfield, since he had seen both Fletcher and McCarthy play for the D-backs when he was their farm director.  Getz still had to approve it obviously, so they are both responsible.

Holy f***. So it wasn't just some regional scout or some s%*# it was 1) our new assistant GM and 2) a guy that should have been intimately familiar with all of Fletcher's flaws.

What. The. f***.

• Paper Bag 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Holy f***. So it wasn't just some regional scout or some s%*# it was 1) our new assistant GM and 2) a guy that should have been intimately familiar with all of Fletcher's flaws.

What. The. f***.

Yep, I didn’t put it together until I read the excerpt again.  I had forgotten that Josh Barfield was most recently with the Diamondbacks as their Director of Player Development, the same position Getz previously held with the Sox.

Getz and Barfield have held the same titles/positions with two different teams and are now our primary and assistant GMs.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Paper Bag 1

44 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, I didn’t put it together until I read the excerpt again.  I had forgotten that Josh Barfield was most recently with the Diamondbacks as their Director of Player Development, the same position Getz previously held with the Sox.

Getz and Barfield have held the same titles/positions with two different teams and are now our primary and assistant GMs.

Yea but one of these guys had his team in the World Series last year 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea but one of these guys had his team in the World Series last year 

True, but it is now looking like it may have been a fluke season with where the Diamondbacks are at this season.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2024/02/22/mlb-offseason-grades-arizona-diamondbacks-lauded-for-trades-signings/72698582007/

Yikes.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Erick Fedde and Padres trade return looks pretty good. I think Seattle trade will look good after the draft as well. 

Because we get the 67th pick?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Erick Fedde and Padres trade return looks pretty good. I think Seattle trade will look good after the draft as well. 

Zavala has unfortunately tanked this season but he’s still very young.  DeLoach has lost his HR power this season.  Seems like the Sox are better at picking pitchers over position players, which is a bit worrisome since they now need a lot more position players to build their team of the future.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

True, but it is now looking like it may have been a fluke season with where the Diamondbacks are at this season.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2024/02/22/mlb-offseason-grades-arizona-diamondbacks-lauded-for-trades-signings/72698582007/

Yikes.

It may be a fluke but at this point I can’t really say he is on the same plane as Getz.   Lightning in a bottle or not, Barfield has experienced success through his work

19 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Because we get the 67th pick?

I mean we traded a bullpen arm that hasn't thrown a pitch this season and got a bullpen arm, a minor league OFer, and the draft pick.  I think that's pretty solid.  

• Like 2