Let’s sign Jorge Lopez

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Laughlin Phil said:

Pablo Lopez is now available as a DFA for the Mets. He’s just the project Padro needs to add for this team to be a more complete dumpster fire.

That's Jorge Lopez and I bet some team will pick him up. For the Sox, I don't see a point in acquiring another just ok over 30 reliever.

Pablo Lopez is one of my favorite pitchers though, unfortunately he's signed with the Twins through 2027. 

Edited by nrockway

Less than 2 years ago, Jorge Lopez was traded by the Orioles to the Twins for Yennier Cano, Cade Povich (O's #9), Juan Nunez (O's #26), and Juan Rojas.  Povich and Nunez are nice prospects.  Cano has turned into a nice relief pitcher. 

I am thinking that many teams will look at this trade as cautionary tale.  One good half without previous track records is not reliable.

• Like 1

Let's make two moves. Someone named Woo-Suk Go was released by the Marlins. I need to hear..."Batting leadoff for YOUR Chicago White Sox, Woo-Suk Go," followed by all 1,112 in attendance chanting the name as a cheer for the entire team!

• Haha 1

• Quin changed the title to Let’s sign Jorge Lopez
59 minutes ago, buckweaver said:

Let's make two moves. Someone named Woo-Suk Go was released by the Marlins. I need to hear..."Batting leadoff for YOUR Chicago White Sox, Woo-Suk Go," followed by all 1,112 in attendance chanting the name as a cheer for the entire team!

Go is a pitcher. 

• Haha 2

Just now, JoeC said:

If he did call the Mets the "worst f'ing team," he should have no problem coming to the Sox, then.

He said worst teammate - he both clarified it in a statement and when you listen to it, you can hear it, it's just with an accent.

Wednesday was also his son's birthday. His son suffers from a chronic illness that "that causes immense physical discomfort and has required regular hospital visits and multiple transplants."

I don't want to see anyone dealing with that kind of stress having to deal with this dumpster fire org.

• Thanks 1

I have heard worse ideas.  Some guys aren't made for the NY spotlight.  I know it isn't conventional, but I would be interested in the for free, or at least a minimal low level trade piece similar to the Julks deal.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have heard worse ideas.  Some guys aren't made for the NY spotlight.  I know it isn't conventional, but I would be interested in the for free, or at least a minimal low level trade piece similar to the Julks deal.

Based on the s%*# we have picked up this is a no brainer.  Hopefully get him comfortable with zero pressure on him.

The one thing about this organization, if you are veteran you have no expectation to produce to get playing time.  He's better then most of the s%*# in the pen...hell he could be the best arm in the pen.

If signing him makes it so I never have to see Sierra Leona pitch again, I'm cool with that. 

2 hours ago, buckweaver said:

Woo-Suk Go is a pitcher I believe 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

He said worst teammate - he both clarified it in a statement and when you listen to it, you can hear it, it's just with an accent.

Wednesday was also his son's birthday. His son suffers from a chronic illness that "that causes immense physical discomfort and has required regular hospital visits and multiple transplants."

I don't want to see anyone dealing with that kind of stress having to deal with this dumpster fire org.

Yeah, i see that / hear that now.

either way, would honestly be a good signing IMO.

4 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Yeah, i see that / hear that now.

either way, would honestly be a good signing IMO.

Oh he'd be a good signing for the Sox.

It'd be a bad signing for his own mental health. 

17 minutes ago, Quin said:

Oh he'd be a good signing for the Sox.

It'd be a bad signing for his own mental health. 

From a pressure standpoint, it might actually be a lot better.  There is nothing like the attention that a player draws if they are on a New York City professional team.  They still have a large sports media following, and they actively are looking for things to report that aren't exactly what the franchises are feeding them.  The fans are loud and engaged as well, and will eat a player for lunch if they give them a reason to do so.  There isn't much else like it in American sports.  The Sox are the exact opposite of that right now.  Even our failures are pretty quietly coddled and protected by our sports media.  A guy like Lopez would have the chance to fly under the radar and quietly be able to reset himself at low points.  I know the losing would suck, but he also wouldn't feel like a target here.

apparently his kid is sick and he's been going through a lot. Doesn't excuse his behavior and doubling down on his comments but I'd sign him, we have nothing to lose and if he can turn it around we can get a decent pitcher for basically free.

• Like 1