Does anyone in theSox organization feels embarrassed or have any pride in their work?

The Sox players and coaches, front office and ownership should feel pretty embarrassed by their performance so far.  Don’t they have any pride in their work and professionalism?  The sad part is that they are not making any changes for the better.  It is inexplicable that Grifol is still the manager.  He is pretty clueless with horrible results.  I read on a Tribune article that  there is some sort of bromance between Grifol and JR.  Need a change now, it can’t be worse that what we have now.  They owe it to the fans. IMO.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

The Sox players and coaches, front office and ownership should feel pretty embarrassed by their performance so far.  Don’t they have any pride in their work and professionalism?

Not in this era. Since teams adopted tanking there's much less outrage and no embarrassment. They can pretend it's all part of the plan and there's a segment of the fan base that loves gutting a roster then waiting for the mysterious young guys to emerge. The real key to winning? Have an owner with ego AND with $$ to back it up. Have a mixture of free agent stars (Harper types) to go with younguns (Robert types, Tatis, Sale when we traded him). Let's face it. We're one of those teams (Sixers) that don't mind losing.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

There are some great folks in the front office who are both depressed and frustrated with the current state of the organization. 

Who cares.  I don’t feel sorry for them.  If they feel that way they can look for an opening with 29 other teams that aren’t run by the worst owner in professional sports.  You are lying to yourself if you don’t think these people know what they are getting into by accepting a job with one of Jerry’s teams.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not in this era. Since teams adopted tanking there's much less outrage and no embarrassment. They can pretend it's all part of the plan and there's a segment of the fan base that loves gutting a roster then waiting for the mysterious young guys to emerge. The real key to winning? Have an owner with ego AND with $$ to back it up. Have a mixture of free agent stars (Harper types) to go with younguns (Robert types, Tatis, Sale when we traded him). Let's face it. We're one of those teams (Sixers) that don't mind losing.

You are aware that the Sixers have been one of the better teams out of the East for the last decade, right.  They have averaged 50 wins and been to the semifinals 5 times lol

i agree that Jerry doesn’t mind losing but I believe the Sixers do lol

• Like 2

We're an analog organization in a digital world. In most other industries they would have been bought out and modernized or faced bankruptcy. But with a monopoly they can survive.

Good, even great, people might be there. But when you're in a system that is so antiquated and behind the times, it's impossible to be successful on a consistent basis. 

This gets perpetuated when they continue to hire people who fit into this 20th Century mold. It's why I believe continuing to replace parts isn't the answer. We need an entire new organization with modern influences. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Is this even tanking? I think they legitimately thought this was a better team than last years 100 loss one

I know they said it outloud, but they also acted like it with the panic after the horrible start.

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Who cares.  I don’t feel sorry for them.  If they feel that way they can look for an opening with 29 other teams that aren’t run by the worst owner in professional sports.  You are lying to yourself if you don’t think these people know what they are getting into by accepting a job with one of Jerry’s teams.

I don't care anymore! I haven't watched an inning, an at bat or a single pitch this year. And I'm a fan who goes back to the 1959 World Series. I blame it all on Jerry Reinsdorf!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know they said it outloud, but they also acted like it with the panic after the horrible start.

Great point.

I wonder if they also graphed, (probably on paper), losses and fan engagement trying to determine a sweet spot. Can we find enough warm bodies capable of 65 to 70 wins? That has to look easy. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Is this even tanking? I think they legitimately thought this was a better team than last years 100 loss one

They definitely thought that. This team has a chance to be 30 games under .500 on June 2nd, you have to make a change in leadership at this point. If not, then I seriously question if they care about it. 

42 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Great point.

I wonder if they also graphed, (probably on paper), losses and fan engagement trying to determine a sweet spot. Can we find enough warm bodies capable of 65 to 70 wins? That has to look easy. 

This is the type of organization that would pour far more analytical resources into something like maximizing fan engagement with minimal expense than they would spend on player evaluation and on-field products.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

46 minutes ago, JoeC said:

This is the type of organization that would pour far more analytical resources into something like maximizing fan engagement with minimal expense than they would spend on player evaluation and on-field products.

:notworthyagreed. And by engagement we mean monetary profit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hankchifan said:

The Sox players and coaches, front office and ownership should feel pretty embarrassed by their performance so far.  Don’t they have any pride in their work and professionalism?  The sad part is that they are not making any changes for the better.  It is inexplicable that Grifol is still the manager.  He is pretty clueless with horrible results.  I read on a Tribune article that  there is some sort of bromance between Grifol and JR.  Need a change now, it can’t be worse that what we have now.  They owe it to the fans. IMO.

I know of individuals, friends of mine from the organization that aren't happy with the state of the franchise but frankly they are in no position to really do anything about it.

JR controls things and literally has input in every single area on the baseball side of things, both on-field and off the field.

From what I've been told he's not thrilled at the way things have been going but that is mitigated by the fact that with all the domestic and international monetary opportunities both locally and from a league standpoint, he's making money and he still feels his operational philosophy is the "right" way to conduct business.  

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, hankchifan said:

I dont think there's any bromance between Grifol and JR, I think Grifol is just kissing ass to try and stretch out this gig/paycheck as long as he can.

He's a loser but he has at least double plus corporate shill/suckup skills.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I know of individuals, friends of mine from the organization that aren't happy with the state of the franchise but frankly they are in no position to really do anything about it.

JR controls things and literally has input in every single area on the baseball side of things, both on-field and off the field.

From what I've been told he's not thrilled at the way things have been going but that is mitigated by the fact that with all the domestic and international monetary opportunities both locally and from a league standpoint, he's making money and he still feels his operational philosophy is the "right" way to conduct business.  

There's absolutely no way you have any friends in the organization.

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

There's absolutely no way you have any friends in the organization.

If I don't that is news to me since they have always treated me very well and gone out of their way to help given the work that I've done for them especially from a historical standpoint. Ask your sources for example about the 12-CD set I put together with audio game highlights, radio spots, player interviews et al going back to 1953 from my library with specific scripts for each one.

It took a few years working on and off but the Sox have very little of their history and I do. I felt it was important that they had copies of this material. 

I've done a lot for them and they have reciprocated in kind. 

Let's put it this way, the rare times I've been back to Chicago they have always joined me watching a game usually from up in the radio/TV area as well as taking me through the locker rooms, letting me down on the field during pregame and showing me the scoreboard opearations area. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Getz built this roster. He is an absolute moron if he thought this was not a 100 loss roster.

I have no idea what he is trying to do. He wanted defense, but this team sucks defensively.

The worst part of this tank is you can't even get a top 9 pick next year.

What a fucking moron.....getz

Just now, 2Deep said:

Getz built this roster. He is an absolute moron if he thought this was not a 100 loss roster.

I have no idea what he is trying to do. He wanted defense, but this team sucks defensively.

The worst part of this tank is you can't even get a top 9 pick next year.

What a fucking moron.....getz

I think with the payroll cuts they all knew it would be a bad year.

But maybe they thought they could win 65 games or whatever. 

It will end up more like 40-55.

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think with the payroll cuts they all knew it would be a bad year.

But maybe they thought they could win 65 games or whatever. 

It will end up more like 40-55.

What is the plan? You are going to have to spend money to supplement the prospects.

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

What is the plan? You are going to have to spend money to supplement the prospects.

I think once Moncada and Jimenez come off the payroll this year, they will be able to get 3 solid FAs for next year and still have a low payroll. 

There's very little money on the payroll next year so even if JR wants it at 140 million there's still alot you can do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think once Moncada and Jimenez come off the payroll this year, they will be able to get 3 solid FAs for next year and still have a low payroll. 

There's very little money on the payroll next year so even if JR wants it at 140 million there's still alot you can do.

Try $90-110 million...