Does anyone in theSox organization feels embarrassed or have any pride in their work?

3 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think once Moncada and Jimenez come off the payroll this year, they will be able to get 3 solid FAs for next year and still have a low payroll. 

There's very little money on the payroll next year so even if JR wants it at 140 million there's still alot you can do.

The thing is, the team could come away with 3 more Benintendis and would we be happy that they "spent money"? Adames and Alonso both feel like they'd be 'marquee' targets, I'm not sure either one is someone you want to give a 5-6 year contract to. Bregman, Torres, Santander, a couple other guys factor in too. Santander and Torres could be nice pieces if they came relatively cheap. Nothing that really moves the needle all that much though. Is there salary Sox could take on trade? Not sure that's an appealing strategy either unless its dead salary attached to prospects. 

15 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

You are aware that the Sixers have been one of the better teams out of the East for the last decade, right.  They have averaged 50 wins and been to the semifinals 5 times lol

i agree that Jerry doesn’t mind losing but I believe the Sixers do lol

Yeah I got burned with that post. But the Sixers' tank job of misery hasn't resulted in titles. And they are completely rebuilding again this offseason cept for Joel E, the oft-injured franchise,

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Yeah I got burned with that post. But the Sixers' tank job of misery hasn't resulted in titles. And they are completely rebuilding again this offseason cept for Joel E, the oft-injured franchise,

"The Process" never really had a chance to come to fruition. Hinkie was forced out and black-balled from the NBA, replaced by crony father and crony son, who would go on to run that team into the ground (relatively speaking). Anyway, to be a successful team in the NBA, you need to have a "superstar", and drafting early in the lottery multiple times increases your odds of finding one. It's really that simple. Having later draft picks is good too, you can find useful players that you don't have to pay much, then you have cap space to spend inefficiently on players who fill a specific need. That's basically the only sustainable team-building strategy in basketball, but step one is to have one of the top 10 players in the game.  

Clearly it worked for the 76ers anyway, they contend for a title every year because of Embiid. I'd love it if the Bulls had the success of the 76ers. Or, you know, the Warriors who were perpetually bad before drafting a couple superstars. Or pretty much every good team in the league that is now good as a result of previously being bad. You either tank or treadmill in basketball.

The Bulls are committed to the treadmill and the team is impossible to watch. My hot take is that the Bulls are more embarrassing than the Sox. The Bulls would've kept Giolito, Lynn, etc because they weren't technically eliminated from the playoffs yet. Dylan Cease would still be on the team. We'd still be god awful, maybe not, ya know, historically bad. But still bad and not making the playoffs. At least the Sox said "yes, this isn't working, let's find a new general manager and get rid of all the players". The Bulls refuse to admit that. If they had admitted it years ago, the team might already be good again. Instead they're gearing up for another 35 win season. They're talking about trading up, more future assets, so they can draft a stiff who will 'contribute now'. 

Edited by nrockway

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

"The Process" never really had a chance to come to fruition. Hinkie was forced out and black-balled from the NBA, replaced by crony father and crony son, who would go on to run that team into the ground (relatively speaking). Anyway, to be a successful team in the NBA, you need to have a "superstar", and drafting early in the lottery multiple times increases your odds of finding one. It's really that simple. Having later draft picks is good too, you can find useful players that you don't have to pay much, then you have cap space to spend inefficiently on players who fill a specific need. That's basically the only sustainable team-building strategy in basketball, but step one is to have one of the top 10 players in the game.  

Clearly it worked for the 76ers anyway, they contend for a title every year because of Embiid. I'd love it if the Bulls had the success of the 76ers. Or, you know, the Warriors who were perpetually bad before drafting a couple superstars. Or pretty much every good team in the league that is now good as a result of previously being bad. You either tank or treadmill in basketball.

The Bulls are committed to the treadmill and the team is impossible to watch. My hot take is that the Bulls are more embarrassing than the Sox. The Bulls would've kept Giolito, Lynn, etc because they weren't technically eliminated from the playoffs yet. Dylan Cease would still be on the team. We'd still be god awful, maybe not, ya know, historically bad. But still bad and not making the playoffs. At least the Sox said "yes, this isn't working, let's find a new general manager and get rid of all the players". The Bulls refuse to admit that. If they had admitted it years ago, the team might already be good again. Instead they're gearing up for another 35 win season. They're talking about trading up, more future assets, so they can draft a stiff who will 'contribute now'. 

This is an excellent post but as a weird fan, here's my take from it: The Sixers have been OK even though they've yet to make The Finals in the Embiid era. The Sox and Bulls equally stink with neither front office having a clue. Maybe the Bulls' philosophy blows, you make a strong case for that, but the Sox philosophy blows as well. And it all started with the tank job (Sale trade) and has continued til today (cept for one playoff appearance after which Ricky was canned stupidly).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

This is an excellent post but as a weird fan, here's my take from it: The Sixers have been OK even though they've yet to make The Finals in the Embiid era. The Sox and Bulls equally stink with neither front office having a clue. Maybe the Bulls' philosophy blows, you make a strong case for that, but the Sox philosophy blows as well. And it all started with the tank job (Sale trade) and has continued til today (cept for one playoff appearance after which Ricky was canned stupidly).

The biggest problem was the replacement for Renteria...not really a debate about the need for someone else with more winning/playoff experience who could "take that next step."

There were a lot of other names out there like Bochy and Hinch at the time, for example.

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

There's a moral to this story but I'm too dumb to see it. That must be why I'm a Sox and Bulls fan. 

On 6/2/2024 at 8:30 AM, oldsox said:

I wouldn't be surprised if, whoever we draft first round, chooses not to sign with Sox.

Unless I was a wonky lefty pitcher I would straight up refuse to be developed by this organization

• Paper Bag 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The biggest problem was the replacement for Renteria...not really a debate about the need for someone else with more winning/playoff experience who could "take that next step."

There were a lot of other names out there like Bochy and Hinch at the time, for example.

I really think Ricky Renteria was somewhat special (I'd rate his work as a very solid B). His only problem was his work in that playoff series. Questionable decisions, etc. The playoffs are a crapshoot. There was no reason to axe him after a playoff appearance IMO.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I really think Ricky Renteria was somewhat special (I'd rate his work as a very solid B). His only problem was his work in that playoff series. Questionable decisions, etc. The playoffs are a crapshoot. There was no reason to axe him after a playoff appearance IMO.

Valid point. One of the reasons I was told he was let go was because he wasn't doing what Hahn wanted him to do and he got tired of it.

What exactly that was or what areas Hahn wanted him to change I don't know. 

• Like 2

Hey, I have a question, asked under a flag of truce. 

I get the negative reactions during game threads, or to daily roster moves. Pointing out "there's that first class White Sox development!!" after an error or baserunning blunder is one way to blow off frustration and not break your TV. 

Some of the bloggers on Twitter run regular features, like SouthSideSox's Futility Watch, where they update the run differential, losing streaks, where this historic bad start to the season ranks, what the team's on track for, and I suppose, if I wanted to keep track of that to mock it, or whatever, that would certainly be an informative series to follow. 

But does anybody listen to an hour-long podcast on the team where they "document the atrocities"? Does anyone actually spend the time to read another article mocking the Sox for how bad they are? I'll listen to FutureSox podcasts, maybe SoxMachine, if there's a lot of roster moves or other news I'd like Jim and James' take on. I would think people who have the same outlook (hating the team for this period of suck) would just steer clear to save an hour in the day they're not pissed off at this team. I wouldn't spend an hour listening to a podcast that mocked the Cubs or Guardians. 

The other threads on Twitter - where a blogsite might beat on the Sox for this horrible streak, then try to gin up enthusiasm over their piece on the Cubs/Sox series, maybe they get clicks from different subsets of fans on each type of approach, and they just stay away from each other, for the most part.