Season review before Cub series...

52 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Just sweep the Cubs.  I don't care if they lose all of their other games this season.  Just sweep the Cubs.

Far chance ?

53 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Just sweep the Cubs.  I don't care if they lose all of their other games this season.  Just sweep the Cubs.

Grab a fiddle, the devil will make you a deal. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, T R U said:

When I was young it was cool to hate the Cubs. Now, I couldn’t care less. 

Yea. We need to get our own house in order before hating on those guys. It used to at least be we had the better teams more often if if they were more popular. Well, what do we got now? Better ball park food? Christ.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

25 minutes ago, T R U said:

Interleague killed the rivalry. 

• Like 3

Cubs could really embarrass Sox by winning two and getting the losing streak up to 13. You'd think 13 in a row would be an all time franchise record for ineptness. Cubs are not doing well. I don't think I'd bet this series cause Sox are due to win one and DeBong and some other guys might finally elevate a few HRs. Are we last in baseball in HRs and RBIs?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Interleague killed the rivalry. 

It truly did. Lipman could give us a good history lesson but back in the pre interleague day the Sox and Cubs played a charity game midseason or so alternating between the ballparks each year. It sold out with the proceeds going to charity. And it was amazing. Sox and Cub fights throughout the city. It was special seeing the Sox uniform go against the Cubbie uniform. The teams would give their starters 2 at bats before putting in the stiffs. The only thing weird was the teams usually started their best minor league prospect then put in some pitchers who needed work. All in all it was special.

Interleague has ruined it of course. Just another series. Unlike the Brewer series where I knew we'd get swept I think the Sox 'might' take one or even both games. Wrigley might awaken the bats. At this point you almost hope the Sox drop 16, 17 in a row just for the continued embarrassment factor. How can Jerry show his face in town? Maybe he just tells his friends it's all part of the latest tank plan. Peace out and remember when u go to the betting booth, "Sox might win a game or two vs. the Cubs."

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Interleague play didn't kill the rivalry. Im not sure how that makes sense. The rivalry was intense back in the mid 2000s. The Buehrle/Konerko/Pierzynski/Thome vs Zambrano/Lee/Soriano/Ramirez era was so good. Ever since the Sox perpetually started sucking, there's not been any excitement. If both teams were good, it would generate a lot more excitement. Hell, if they were good and in the same division, can you imagine. Baseball in the city of Chicago would be the envy of baseball. It wont happen though. It's my dream before I die to see an all-Chicago world series. 

Edited by ScootsMcGoots
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, T R U said:

I've taken it upon myself to actually learn more about their history. I took a tour of Wrigley Field last weekend. It really is a gem, right in our city. Hating the Cubs never made sense to me. They represent the city of Chicago. And, whether us Sox fans want to admit it or not...unless the Sox are playing better (which doesnt happen these days), Chicago is a Cubs town. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Cubs could really embarrass Sox by winning two and getting the losing streak up to 13. You'd think 13 in a row would be an all time franchise record for ineptness. Cubs are not doing well. I don't think I'd bet this series cause Sox are due to win one and DeBong and some other guys might finally elevate a few HRs. Are we last in baseball in HRs and RBIs?

The longest losing streak in Chicago White Sox history occurred in the 1967 and 1968 seasons, lasting 15 games1. The most recent losing streak was eight consecutive games in the 2021 season2.

If you remember Hawk talking about 1967, that was quite the incredible season AND finish for the White Sox...you had the heartbreaking collapse and then it continued over into the following season, the 1968 hangover.   Feels a bit similar to 2012 season ending, and then 2013 was pretty much the start of another disastrous decade for the Sox.

The longest losing streak in Chicago White Sox history is 15 games, which started in the 1967 season and concluded in the 1968 season. The losing streak started on Sep 27, 1967 with a 2-5 loss to the Kansas City Athletics and ended on Apr 26, 1968 with a 3-2 win over the Minnesota Twins.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I've taken it upon myself to actually learn more about their history. I took a tour of Wrigley Field last weekend. It really is a gem, right in our city. Hating the Cubs never made sense to me. They represent the city of Chicago. And, whether us Sox fans want to admit it or not...unless the Sox are playing better (which doesnt happen these days), Chicago is a Cubs town. 

I don’t get this.  I live on the Northside. There are tons of Sox fans.  I see Sox hats everywhere.  The Cubs draw more tourists and have larger attendance because their games are more entertaining, but Ive never felt like it was a Cubs town.  There are probably numerically more Cubs than Sox fans in the city but its not that dramatic, and they get equal coverage in the media.

8 minutes ago, Green Line said:

I don’t get this.  I live on the Northside. There are tons of Sox fans.  I see Sox hats everywhere.  The Cubs draw more tourists and have larger attendance because their games are more entertaining, but Ive never felt like it was a Cubs town.  There are probably numerically more Cubs than Sox fans in the city but its not that dramatic, and they get equal coverage in the media.

Do the Cubs still sell out every game? If they do (Sox do not) it provides some proof it's a Cubs town. Maybe a Cubs country 'cause I realize out of towners want to include a Cub game on spring/summer visits to Chicago. They do not venture to Sox Park, not only cause we stink, but the stadium is blah and true or not the neighborhood does not have the greatest reputation.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, greg775 said:

It truly did. Lipman could give us a good history lesson but back in the pre interleague day the Sox and Cubs played a charity game midseason or so alternating between the ballparks each year. It sold out with the proceeds going to charity. And it was amazing. Sox and Cub fights throughout the city. It was special seeing the Sox uniform go against the Cubbie uniform. The teams would give their starters 2 at bats before putting in the stiffs. The only thing weird was the teams usually started their best minor league prospect then put in some pitchers who needed work. All in all it was special.

Interleague has ruined it of course. Just another series. Unlike the Brewer series where I knew we'd get swept I think the Sox 'might' take one or even both games. Wrigley might awaken the bats. At this point you almost hope the Sox drop 16, 17 in a row just for the continued embarrassment factor. How can Jerry show his face in town? Maybe he just tells his friends it's all part of the latest tank plan. Peace out and remember when u go to the betting booth, "Sox might win a game or two vs. the Cubs."

Ask and ye shall receive:

April 29, 1985 - A new yearly tradition was established in the first annual "Crosstown Classic" charity game matching the Sox and Cubs.

Down through the years both teams played each other on and off in spring training or during an open date in the regular season. From the late 40’s through the early 70’s, the “Boys Benefit Game” was played helping raise funds for youth baseball. There was also a post season “City Series” that was eventually stopped by request of Major League Baseball. They felt it was taking away interest from the World Series. This was the first time though both teams agreed to play on a yearly basis with a corporate sponsor (Busch Beer).

The game alternated between Comiskey Park and Wrigley Field and was played every year through 1995. Because of the labor impasse the teams played two games that season.

The Sox won the opener at Comiskey Park 7-4 but it was only the start of a remarkable run. The two teams played a total of 12 games and the Sox never lost one. They’d go 10-0-2 during that time period.

After 1995, the series was dropped. It was never publicly explained why, but reports persisted that the cancellation of the series was at the Cubs request. Plus, interleague play was on the horizon and it may have been felt that the game was now meaningless

June 16, 1997 - After numerous charity and exhibition games, the Sox and Cubs played for real for the first time in the regular season when they met at the new Comiskey Park. Since then, the two teams have played each other every season multiple times. After playing each other four times in 2022 the Sox had a 73-65 advantage in the regular season meetings.

June 25, 1964 - An overflow crowd of over 52 thousand jammed Comiskey Park to watch the Sox hammer the Cubs 11-1 in the annual “Boys Benefit Game.” The Sox, who were the visiting team that night, hit four home runs including back-to-back-to-back shots in the third inning. The home runs were hit by Ron Hansen, Tommy McCraw and Jerry McNertney. Floyd Robinson also had a home run.

What was significant however was the fact that fans were allowed on the outfield grass behind ropes, since there wasn’t any room left in the park. It was the last time fans have ever been permitted to stand on the playing field for a game.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Do the Cubs still sell out every game? If they do (Sox do not) it provides some proof it's a Cubs town. Maybe a Cubs country 'cause I realize out of towners want to include a Cub game on spring/summer visits to Chicago. They do not venture to Sox Park, not only cause we stink, but the stadium is blah and true or not the neighborhood does not have the greatest reputation.

Up until the mid 80's the team that had the better record usually had the best attendance. 

From 1951-1967 for example the Sox outdrew the Cubs in 16 of those 17 seasons.

This stayed the same until around the mid 80's when the Cubs (under John McDonough who grew up a Sox fan) started promoting Wrigley Field more than what the club was doing on the field. Studies showed the Cubs were getting roughly 40% of their yearly attendance from out of towners visiting and them being on Superstation WGN really helped push that along. 

The Sox had opportunities to "own the town" but bad decisions by ownership as well as an inability to consistently make the playoffs short circuited that hope.

That being said, new ownership (much like the charge EE and JR put into the franchise in 81-82-83 could drastically change that dynamic.

Putting a good team on the field, promoting the club (not cancelling things like Sox fest), and making headlines by signing actual 'superstar' talent can change the perception in a hurry.

It happened before the 1971 and 1981 seasons for example. 

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Green Line said:

Equal media coverage, but I would bet the house those ratings aren't equal. And you see a lot of Sox gear, that's really cool, but I bet a lot of that is more for looks than anything. I've spoken to many people trying to strike up a conversation about the Sox, and i can't tell you how many times they tell me they just like the look of the hat. 

6 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Up until the mid 80's the team that had the better record usually had the best attendance. 

From 1951-1967 for example the Sox outdrew the Cubs in 16 of those 17 seasons.

This stayed the same until around the mid 80's when the Cubs (under John McDonough who grew up a Sox fan) started promoting Wrigley Field more than what the club was doing on the field. Studies showed the Cubs were getting roughly 40% of their yearly attendance from out of towners visiting and them being on Superstation WGN really helped push that along. 

The Sox had opportunities to "own the town" but bad decisions by ownership as well as an inability to consistently make the playoffs short circuited that hope.

That being said, new ownership (much like the charge EE and JR put into the franchise in 81-82-83 could drastically change that dynamic.

Putting a good team on the field, promoting the club (not cancelling things like Sox fest), and making headlines by signing actual 'superstar' talent can change the perception in a hurry.

It happened before the 1971 and 1981 seasons for example. 

Please Jerry sell the team