Old Friend Jose Rodriguez suspended for a year

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Lol.  I'm sure all the posters that flipped out for 2 months when they got rid of him will calmly admit they didn't know the full story and that they overreacted.  

You think the Sox traded him because they knew of the gambling issue?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Lol.  I'm sure all the posters that flipped out for 2 months when they got rid of him will calmly admit they didn't know the full story and that they overreacted.  

I mean, that would be the Sox semi-participating in a cover up, so I sure hope not.

Edit: Or they had they to be extra tight lipped and the Phillies decided to chance it, but the Sox accepting cash for him knowing he'd be suspended for gambling looks real bad on the surface.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Wasn't he mysteriously not showing up due to "family issues" and then they DFA'd him?  Sounds like they knew.

I'm guessing when they traded him for cash considerations, they disclosed what they knew to Philly.

Edited by Nardiwashere
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, that would be the Sox semi-participating in a cover up, so I sure hope not.

Edit: Or they had they to be extra tight lipped and the Phillies decided to chance it, but the Sox accepting cash for him knowing he'd be suspended for gambling looks real bad on the surface.

I thought we learned from Clevinger that teams aren't allowed to disclose pending investigations and punishments?

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Wasn't he mysteriously not showing up due to "family issues" and then they DFA'd him?  Sounds like they knew.

I'm guessing when they traded him for cash considerations, they disclosed what they knew to Philly.

If they did all that, then yeah, this is kosher by Getz and I'll admit that — with 20/20 hindsight — he did the right thing.

But you know, that means we also get to applaud Rick Hahn for trading a roider. Good job Rick. 

(I'm kidding about Rick)

Just now, Quin said:

If they did all that, then yeah, this is kosher by Getz and I'll admit that — with 20/20 hindsight — he did the right thing.

But you know, that means we also get to applaud Rick Hahn for trading a roider. Good job Rick. 

(I'm kidding)

"right" also becomes an ethical question.  From a roster management standpoint, it was the right thing.  From an ethical standpoint if they knew, it was an ultrashitty thing to do.

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

I am thinking if the Sox front office was smart, they took that $$ and bet it all on whoever the Palehose were playing at the time......or do you think I need to call 1-800-Gambler?

18 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Much more likely that they'll try to claim tampering by Getz than admit they were wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

I am thinking if the Sox front office was smart, they took that $$ and bet it all on whoever the Palehose were playing at the time......or do you think I need to call 1-800-Gambler?

It probably wasn't much money and it isn't like better against the Sox brings big odds...

Rodriguez bet $749.09

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So the guys who only got a year were proven that they did not bet on teams of organizations that they played for?

Popeye bet on White Sox game run totals. The one year suspensions did not bet on games in which they were playing. 

20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So the guys who only got a year were proven that they did not bet on teams of organizations that they played for?

I’m guessing it’s more about the materiality.  The dude who got the lifetime ban bet $150k whereas Popeye bet $750 total.

2 hours ago, Nardiwashere said:

What a silly "dunk". You think the Sox knew? They had no clue either. A broken clock is right twice a day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

doesn't have anything to do with if you're part of the whole organization.  if you're not a player on the teams roster that you bet on, it's just a 1yr ban.  if you are on the team's roster, it's lifetime ban

Edited by joejoesox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m guessing it’s more about the materiality.  The dude who got the lifetime ban bet $150k whereas Popeye bet $750 total.

Found it. All the guys who got a year were not on the roster or IL of teams of games they bet on.

• Thanks 1