Padres into Garret Crochet

Posted (edited)

Less than three months after trading for Dylan Cease, the San Diego Padres are eyeing another of the Chicago White Sox’s top pitchers. Only this time, the two sides could have more difficulty reaching a deal, if they ever do.

The Padres have recently shown strong interest in left-hander Garrett Crochet, according to sources briefed on the White Sox’s discussions. San Diego’s need for starting pitching grew last week when Joe Musgrove and Yu Darvish landed on the injured list for the second time this season, and president of baseball operations A.J. Preller already has demonstrated unusual urgency this season by acquiring Cease from the White Sox during spring training and Luis Arraez from the Miami Marlins early last month. However, those trades also thinned a farm system that might no longer hold the same appeal for a club in the White Sox’s position.

The White Sox do not need to move their best remaining starter. Crochet, who turns 25 this month, is making $800,000 and will remain arbitration-eligible for the next two seasons. And although that amount of control could bring back a haul of talent, the Padres potentially face challenges in coming up with an enticing package.

For the White Sox to trade Crochet, according to a person familiar with that team’s thinking, they likely would require at least one position player prospect with significant upside. San Diego still has two in catcher Ethan Salas and shortstop Leodalis De Vries, but the Padres are reluctant to discuss either player unless they receive established star talent in return.

Under first-year general manager Chris Getz, the White Sox are headed for a continuation of the sell-off that began when they sent Cease to San Diego. Candidates to be moved before the July 30 trade deadline include starting pitcher Erick Fedde, reliever Michael Kopech and outfielders Luis Robert Jr. and Tommy Pham. Robert, a 2023 All-Star, will earn $12.5 million this season and $15 million in 2025, with $20 million club options for 2026 and 2027. Those salaries make him less marketable than Crochet, who league sources say has drawn interest from various contending teams.

Few teams are as motivated as a Padres club that pulled off multiple pre-June blockbusters and now faces a possible deficit of starting pitching. The discussions that led up to the Cease trade could help facilitate a second exchange with the White Sox. But, for now, no agreement between the two sides is considered imminent. It remains to be seen if the Padres have the right players to close another aggressive deal.

Edited by DirtySox

3 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Have to respect AJ Preller's cajones.

He's under pressure to make the playoffs since his biggest supporter is gone and now he has to deal with the rest of the ownership group. 

• Like 2

I don't see how Crochet makes sense for a team at the deadline. I mean, more power to them, but he's at 70 IP for the year. He threw 13 innings in 2023 and zero in 2022. I would think going over 115/120 IP for 2024 seems like you're getting into dangerous territory. Seems like it would make much more sense to acquire him in the offseason, but if someone wants to go all-in on him, cool. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't see how Crochet makes sense for a team at the deadline. I mean, more power to them, but he's at 70 IP for the year. He threw 13 innings in 2023 and zero in 2022. I would think going over 115/120 IP for 2024 seems like you're getting into dangerous territory. Seems like it would make much more sense to acquire him in the offseason, but if someone wants to go all-in on him, cool. 

I agree, but if they want to pay up, the Sox have to do it. Crochet has 2 years left, I believe, and JR isn't going to pay him if he's an ace.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't think they are getting the value for him because of this.  Same with Robert due to his injury history.  

• Like 1

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

I know Salas is highly touted but I wouldn't be trading him for 17 or 18 year olds right now. 

If I'm moving Robert or Crochet, I want guys who are here in the next 18 months. 

There isn't enough that is going to be here in the next two years that it will even matter.

• Like 7

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

I don't think they are getting the value for him because of this.  Same with Robert due to his injury history.  

I would think you are correct. If, somehow, Crochet makes it through the season unscathed, that may make him pretty valuable in the offseason.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There isn't enough that is going to be here in the next two years that it will even matter.

This. If you trade both Robert and Crochet, you have zero shot for a few seasons anyway.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

.There isn't enough that is going to be here in the next two years that it will even matter.

Yeah, I'm not sure anyone that's in the minors right now that works out isn't just another trade piece. They are so barren on the position player side that it's hard to see the Sox sniffing a playoff spot before the stadium deal expires in 2029. 

I'm glad the article mentioned we are focusing on position players now, but SD is not a great fit there. Maybe a three team trade makes sense, SD can send some pitching somewhere and we can get a good position talent from the third team, since I doubt Preller will part with any of their top 3 prospects. 

Even if Robert is not moved, we need to come out of the deadline with a Top 100 OFer and a Top 100 IFer. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

This. If you trade both Robert and Crochet, you have zero shot for a few seasons anyway.

To be fully honest, the Sox have zero real scenario shot at .500 the next two years.  I mean maybe if we were willing to spend we could fill some holes, but we won't spend on 1A type of players, only mediocre free agents, which shuts that door, meaning any real talent has to come internally.  We have no real position player strength to speak of./

• Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fully honest, the Sox have zero real scenario shot at .500 the next two years.  I mean maybe if we were willing to spend we could fill some holes, but we won't spend on 1A type of players, only mediocre free agents, which shuts that door, meaning any real talent has to come internally.  We have no real position player strength to speak of./

Sadly we are looking at 100 loss teams 2-3 years out right now unless some absolute miracle happens and all our current top 10 prospects turn into useful regulars and/or stars. We're so fucked. We might have the worst future of any team in NA pro sports, including the Pistons.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Depends on who we get back and how close to the majors they are. 

Between the two of them, you could get back 4-5 Top 100s and if they aren't far away, they could absolutely help the Sox become competitive soon.

Sox need position players.    Maybe Preller/Getz can find a 3rd team with an abundance of position prospects that could use his pitching prospects.  

As for pitchers, it's got to be 3 really good prospects as most don't make it.  Crochet has made it.

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Depends on who we get back and how close to the majors they are. 

Between the two of them, you could get back 4-5 Top 100s and if they aren't far away, they could absolutely help the Sox become competitive soon.

Probably be losing 10 projected WAR. Don't see how in the next few years any combo of prospects replaces that. We're so fucked.

• Like 1