Padres into Garret Crochet

I mean, if they trade Crochet 

1) Gonna need Salas back

2) Might as well trade Robert, because nothing is happening for years.

3) There was no point whatsoever to hire Chris Getz, but we knew that.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, if they trade Crochet 

1) Gonna need Salas back

2) Might as well trade Robert, because nothing is happening for years.

3) There was no point whatsoever to hire Chris Getz, but we knew that.

#2 was true this winter, and it's still true now. 

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Depends on who we get back and how close to the majors they are. 

Between the two of them, you could get back 4-5 Top 100s and if they aren't far away, they could absolutely help the Sox become competitive soon.

It was in response to not trading for 18/19 year olds. If that's the best talent you can end up getting, you can't ignore it due to age.

Keith Law on Salas in his Top 50 update. Still would take him in a heartbeat.

Salas turned 18 on Saturday and is already playing well enough in High A that everyone agrees he’s going to be a solid or better MLB regular, but the word from scouts this year is to pump the brakes a little on the hype. He isn’t showing electric bat speed or other elite tools that point to superstardom, and his value may be more connected to his high floor and the potential for a very long major-league career given his youth. That’s not as negative as it sounds, although I could understand anyone disappointed to hear he might not be an MVP candidate in the making given how incredible his debut was last year.

36 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I know Salas is highly touted but I wouldn't be trading him for 17 or 18 year olds right now. 

If I'm moving Robert or Crochet, I want guys who are here in the next 18 months. 

Lol. There is NO scenario in which the Padres would trade Salas for Crochet straight up. I think De Vries + is a more realistic package.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There isn't enough that is going to be here in the next two years that it will even matter.

This is why Robert should also be traded. He’s not resigning here and the White Sox aren’t going to be competitive anytime soon. 

24 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Yeah, I'm not sure anyone that's in the minors right now that works out isn't just another trade piece. They are so barren on the position player side that it's hard to see the Sox sniffing a playoff spot before the stadium deal expires in 2029. 

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fully honest, the Sox have zero real scenario shot at .500 the next two years.  I mean maybe if we were willing to spend we could fill some holes, but we won't spend on 1A type of players, only mediocre free agents, which shuts that door, meaning any real talent has to come internally.  We have no real position player strength to speak of./

I know this is an unpopular opinion here, but claiming we cant sniff a playoff spot until 2030 or have no real shot at .500 until 2027 is wild to me. 

I agree that they have very little position players but they have like a dozen pitchers that will all be making their debuts starting at the end of this year and next year.  Those guys are all coming up.  They better have a plan to get some bats.

Lets assume we are fine with rolling with Lee/Quero/Cheap FA Vet at catcher.

We have Ramos, Montgomery, Gonzalez, Baldwin in high minors.  For the sake of argument, let's say 2 become regular starters on the left side of the infield and two suck.  

Robert in CF.  

We have like 70 million dollars coming off the books.  They will have this year's draft.  They will have this year's trade deadline. 

You cant find a 1b, 2b, DH, and a couple of OFers in 5 years??

I'm not saying there's an easy path to becoming the Dodgers but it should not take the biggest market in the AL Central 6+ years to field a team that can win 88 games.... especially when all their best prospects are in AA and AAA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Crochet is only going to pitch another what, 50-60 innings the rest of this season? Padres will either have to start limiting him to 3-4 IP at a time or just make him a multi-inning RP.

I just don't see him bringing a huge return. I'd like to see them pair him with one of our RPs for a better package.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion here, but claiming we cant sniff a playoff spot until 2030 or have no real shot at .500 until 2027 is wild to me. 

I agree that they have very little position players but they have like a dozen pitchers that will all be making their debuts starting at the end of this year and next year.  Those guys are all coming up.  They better have a plan to get some bats.

We have Ramos, Montgomery, Gonzalez, Baldwin in high minors.  For the sake of argument, let's say 2 become regular starters on the left side of the infield and two suck.  

Robert in CF.  

We have like 70 million dollars coming off the books.  They will have this year's draft.  They will have this year's trade deadline. 

I'm not saying there's an easy path to becoming the Dodgers but it should not take the biggest market in the AL Central 6+ years to field a team that can win 88 games.... especially when all their best prospects are in AA and AAA. 

The Sox through two GM’s and multiple years haven’t been able to find a 2B or RF.  Also, our first round 1B appears to be a bust.  Andrew Benintendi?  Need I say more?  If there is a wrong choice to make, the Sox will usually make it.

It probably doesn’t matter anyways as it sure seems like Getz is planning to sell hard.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Robert in CF.  

The Sox spending smart in free agency AND being able to cover positions that they spent a decade fucking up at AND getting high end performance out of key prospects is exactly why the Sox being good soon is an unpopular opinion.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Crochet is only going to pitch another what, 50-60 innings the rest of this season? Padres will either have to start limiting him to 3-4 IP at a time or just make him a multi-inning RP.

I just don't see him bringing a huge return. I'd like to see them pair him with one of our RPs for a better package.

If a GMs job is on the line, and Preller's might be, I don't think he is going to care about an innings limit, he will want to push it...maybe 80 innings instead of 60 or maybe he pitches once every 6 or 7 days, I think Preller is trying to save himself first and he will worry about injury risk later.

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If a GMs job is on the line, and Preller's might be, I don't think he is going to care about an innings limit, he will want to push it...maybe 80 innings instead of 60 or maybe he pitches once every 6 or 7 days, I think Preller is trying to save himself first and he will worry about injury risk later.

This is a dude who never seems to err on the side of caution.  He rushes prospects, makes big deals, pushes pitchers, etc.  If he thinks Crochet is the guy, he will figure out a way to get it done, cost or common sense be damned.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox through two GM’s and multiple years haven’t been able to find a 2B or RF.  Also, our first round 1B appears to be a bust.  Andrew Benintendi?  Need I say more?  If there is a wrong choice to make, the Sox will usually make it.

It probably doesn’t matter anyways as it sure seems like Getz is planning to sell hard.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox spending smart in free agency AND being able to cover positions that they spent a decade fucking up at AND getting high end performance out of key prospects is exactly why the Sox being good soon is an unpopular opinion.

I mean, there's a new front office.  Andrew Vaughn was drafted FIVE years ago by the former GM and former scouting director.  Him being a bust doesn't matter to me one way or another.  They need to be better this time around. The previous guys got fired for a reason.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I mean, there's a new front office.  Andrew Vaughn was drafted FIVE years ago by the former GM and former scouting director.  Him being a bust doesn't matter to me one way or another.  They need to be better this time around. The previous guys got fired for a reason.  

But you trust Getz?  Take a look at the positional players and prospects he acquired up to this point.  It’s still early (for the prospects he acquired) but the returns are not so good.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But you trust Getz?  Take a look at the positional players and prospects he acquired up to this point.  It’s still early (for the prospects he acquired) but the returns are not so good.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I don't think anyone knows yet.  He has been in the job for less than a year and spent the first part of his tenure just cleaning the roster out. 

He acquired placeholders in a lost season when he obviously needed to shed some salary and everyone knew they were just waiting for Moncada, Eloy, etc. to come off the books  Guys like Dejong, Lopez, Maldanado, Pham, Julks, Mendick...

Dejong has been fine for what he is.  Pham looks fine.  Lopez is what Lopez is.  This group doesn't tell me anything about his ability to acquire position players. 

What position prospects has he acquired?  Fletcher and DeLoach?  Jury is still out on Fletcher.  DeLoach was one of 3 pieces in a trade for an injured bullpen arm.  Don't think anyone ever had high hopes for him.   

I think its reasonable to give the guy this offseason to see what he does and who he picks up. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I don't think anyone knows yet.  He has been in the job for less than a year and spent the first part of his tenure just cleaning the roster out. 

He acquired placeholders in a lost season when he obviously needed to shed some salary and everyone knew they were just waiting for Moncada, Eloy, etc. to come off the books  Guys like Dejong, Lopez, Maldanado, Pham, Julks, Mendick...

Dejong has been fine for what he is.  Pham looks fine.  Lopez is what Lopez is.  This group doesn't tell me anything about his ability to acquire position players. 

What position prospects has he acquired?  Fletcher and DeLoach?  Jury is still out on Fletcher.  DeLoach was one of 3 pieces in a trade for an injured bullpen arm.  Don't think anyone ever had high hopes for him.   

I think its reasonable to give the guy this offseason to see what he does and who he picks up. 

Zavala, DeLoach, and Fletcher.

Getz had an offseason and it was one of the worst that I can remember as a Sox fan.  It reminds me of the 2016 offseason.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

19 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Mike Shirley is a much better scouting director than Hostetler. And I like Getz' ability to just churn through players, sign them, throw them out there, DFA if they sink, trade them if they swim. Yeah, the bulk of this team is 2 years away. Julks looks like a starting RF. Pham looks like a starting LF. Even though DeJong and Lopez are tough to watch, they'll each have produced about one win by the end of the season, maybe more. 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sadly we are looking at 100 loss teams 2-3 years out right now unless some absolute miracle happens and all our current top 10 prospects turn into useful regulars and/or stars. We're so fucked. We might have the worst future of any team in NA pro sports, including the Pistons.

Are we eligible for a top-10 pick after next year, or how long does that anti-tanking thing last? I know we're going to pick #10 next year, but we're also not getting any next year - can we get #1 the following year? 

It's sad that I'm now looking forward to the draft in two years because that's the best thing we have going for us.

Robert makes a lot of sense for the Mariners. Give me one of Emerson/Young and one of Miller/Woo.

Phillies always make an interesting trade partner with Dombrowski running things. I would love Painter and Miller in a deal.

I would love to see Baltimore push the chips up. They of course have tons of minor league bats. Imagine a Robert + Crochet blockbuster.

32 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Besides the name on the door, what actually changed that should tell us things might be different?  So far I have seen an even lower tier of FAs, prospects beings rushed and jerked around,  and the dumping of a bunch of guy Getz was responsible for training, as was the continuation of our kids being baseball stupid.  

• Like 2

Julks looks like a starting RF because of 45 at bats?  Wow.

Pham is a starting LF?  He’s 36 years old.  Who cares?

Getting one win out of each of DeJong and Lopez by the end of the season is a good thing?

Your expectations of an MLB GM are ridiculously low.  A fan could’ve done a better job than Getz did, maybe even a monkey.

JR loves Sox fans like you…

sc4ZZ08WZ7HQhyw8Tn3ugrwgQiarq4uJVovM8AeR