Padres into Garret Crochet

6 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Are we eligible for a top-10 pick after next year, or how long does that anti-tanking thing last? I know we're going to pick #10 next year, but we're also not getting any next year - can we get #1 the following year? 

It's sad that I'm now looking forward to the draft in two years because that's the best thing we have going for us.

I believe the Sox are eligible for the draft lottery again for 2026. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But you trust Getz?  Take a look at the positional players and prospects he acquired up to this point.  It’s still early (for the prospects he acquired) but the returns are not so good.

Fedde is the only player he signed whose contract is longer than a year. The prospects who weren't acquired in exchange for garbage, Thorpe, Irarte and Zavala, all seem to be fine. DeLoach, Berroa, a draft pick all seem better than Gregory Santos who has yet to pitch this year. "The returns are not so good" is frankly not true unless you're hung up about Cristian Mena (which I am a little bit but I think about the moves in summation).

I posted this in a different thread, but what would everyone's favorite GM Stearns have done differently with this roster? I think Getz and Stearns are worthy of comparison, two guys at new jobs who couldn't be perceived more differently. To my eye, Stearns has done a worse job with a lot more to work with. The Mets are almost as big a joke as the White Sox, a bigger joke when you consider they spend over twice the amount for their loser team. Getz didn't hire Grifol, but Stearns did hire Carlos Mendoza who seems like a carbon copy of Grifol, a 'player's coach' whose players don't like him. Seems like he didn't have a plan B after whiffing on Counsell.

He signed Manea and Severino instead of Fedde for some reason. For a lot more money. Those two have been OK, but why didn't the wunderkind see what Getz saw? What has Stearns done to rebuild the Mets farm system? His predecessor was able to restock it somewhat by retaining the massive salaries of "star" pitchers, but what has Stearns accomplished with his owner's unlimited resources besides build a really bad, really expensive team?

What I mean is, was Getz the right hire? I don't know, but I bet a lot of people thought David Stearns would have been a wonderful hire. So walk me through the moves he might have made differently.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Zavala, DeLoach, and Fletcher.

Getz had an offseason and it was one of the worst that I can remember as a Sox fan.

Are you real young? 

He took over a shitty team with no payroll flexibility and now he has a slightly shittier team with payroll flexibility on the horizon. 

He didn't take any big swings due to the circumstance.  If Samuel Zavala being bad for a couple months (while Thorpe and Iriarte look awesome, btw) is the biggest miss of the offseason, I'm cool with that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Padres just called up Adam Mazur due to their pitching woes.

Padres selected the contract of RHP Adam Mazur from Triple-A El Paso.
Mazur draws the starting assignment on Tuesday night for his big-league debut against the Angels in Los Angeles following an impressive 10-start run this season between Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A El Paso where he posted a 3.86 ERA, 1.03 WHIP and 50/9 K/BB ratio across 51 1/3 innings of work. The 23-year-old righty doesn’t miss a ton of bats, but he’s displayed exemplary control throughout his minor-league tenure since being selected in the second round of the 2022 MLB Draft.”

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Are you real young? 

He took over a shitty team with no payroll flexibility and now he has a slightly shittier team with payroll flexibility on the horizon. 

He didn't take any big swings due to the circumstance.  If Samuel Zavala being bad for a couple months (while Thorpe and Iriarte look awesome, btw) is the biggest miss of the offseason, I'm cool with that. 

I’m in my mid-40’s.  We were talking about position players weren’t we?  After all, that’s where the Sox massive gaping hole of talent is.  Getz didn’t manage to acquire one positional player that you could honestly and confidently plug into the lineup for 2025.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Julks looks like a starting RF because of 45 at bats?  Wow.

Pham is a starting LF?  He’s 36 years old.  Who cares?

Getting one win out of each of DeJong and Lopez by the end of the season is a good thing?

Your expectations of an MLB GM are ridiculously low.  A fan could’ve done a better job than Getz did, maybe even a monkey.

JR loves Sox fans like you…

The subject was whether it would take 6 years to have a winning season again.  You're arguing that because a previous front office couldn't solve RF or 2B, a new front office wouldn't be able to find baseball players to play those positions. Julks was picked off the waiver wire. He has more than a season of stats to look at. He certainly looks like he can play LF or RF for a couple of years. 

One win was all that was really expected out of DeJong and Lopez. I said 1-1.5 back in ST. They replaced -2 WAR at SS, and 0 WAR at 2B. For what Getz wanted, yes, that's a good thing. 

I'm not sure how you get to argue that the Sox won't post a winning record for the next 6 years, but I'm the one with low expectations. You believe that an established CF on the market would take less money to be the weak half of a corner OF platoon. No, I don't think a fan could have done a better job. 

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Besides the name on the door, what actually changed that should tell us things might be different?  So far I have seen an even lower tier of FAs, prospects beings rushed and jerked around,  and the dumping of a bunch of guy Getz was responsible for training, as was the continuation of our kids being baseball stupid.  

He had to cut salary and took over a horseshit team.  Him signing Martin Maldonado for a 1 year deal means nothing.  You act like his core philosophy is signing lower tier FAs.  He was a body. 

You and a couple others here keep saying prospects are being rushed.  There is currently a logjam in the minors on the pitching side because he isn't rushing a guy like Thorpe.  Who has been rushed?  Ramos came up for a little bit and Fletcher has been up and down twice.  Everyone is saying they are trying to keep the AA team together as long as possible.  I don't see anyone being rushed.  Who is currently on the team that should be in the minors?

I don't understand your last point... he dumped bad players?  Great. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Are you real young? 

WS2023's big signing would have been Michael A. Taylor, and he's OPSing an even .500 right now. 23 also screamed about grabbing Canaan Smith-Njigba off of waivers, over and over and over. He's produced a slash of .243/.364/.353 for a .717 OPS and 1 HR. DeLoach slashed .281/.370/.369 for a .739 OPS and 2HR. DeLoach is 8 months older than Smith-Njigba.

But DeLoach sucks, and WS2023 is great. 

20 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m in my mid-40’s.  We were talking about position players weren’t we?  After all, that’s where the Sox massive gaping hole of talent is.  Getz didn’t manage to acquire one positional player that you could honestly and confidently plug into the lineup for 2025.

I would honestly be confident penciling Julks into the 2025 OF/DH/1B mix. Fletcher has hit in the majors. 

13 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The subject was whether it would take 6 years to have a winning season again.  You're arguing that because a previous front office couldn't solve RF or 2B, a new front office wouldn't be able to find baseball players to play those positions. Julks was picked off the waiver wire. He has more than a season of stats to look at. He certainly looks like he can play LF or RF for a couple of years. 

One win was all that was really expected out of DeJong and Lopez. I said 1-1.5 back in ST. They replaced -2 WAR at SS, and 0 WAR at 2B. For what Getz wanted, yes, that's a good thing. 

I'm not sure how you get to argue that the Sox won't post a winning record for the next 6 years, but I'm the one with low expectations. You believe that an established CF on the market would take less money to be the weak half of a corner OF platoon. No, I don't think a fan could have done a better job. 

The point is to obtain long-term legitimate starters at these positions, not the Lopez’s and Julks of the waiver wire.  What exactly did this accomplish anyways?

Regarding Julks, you said “He has more than a season of stats to look at. He certainly looks like he can play LF or RF for a couple of years.”

You want a .677 OPS in a corner outfield spot?

17 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

He had to cut salary and took over a horseshit team.  Him signing Martin Maldonado for a 1 year deal means nothing.  You act like his core philosophy is signing lower tier FAs.  He was a body. 

You and a couple others here keep saying prospects are being rushed.  There is currently a logjam in the minors on the pitching side because he isn't rushing a guy like Thorpe.  Who has been rushed?  Ramos came up for a little bit and Fletcher has been up and down twice.  Everyone is saying they are trying to keep the AA team together as long as possible.  I don't see anyone being rushed.  Who is currently on the team that should be in the minors?

I don't understand your last point... he dumped bad players?  Great. 

So you can't actually tell me anything that changed.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

WS2023's big signing would have been Michael A. Taylor, and he's OPSing an even .500 right now. 23 also screamed about grabbing Canaan Smith-Njigba off of waivers, over and over and over. He's produced a slash of .243/.364/.353 for a .717 OPS and 1 HR. DeLoach slashed .281/.370/.369 for a .739 OPS and 2HR. DeLoach is 8 months older than Smith-Njigba.

But DeLoach sucks, and WS2023 is great. 

Taylor still would have been better than the rotting corpse of Maldonado.  Also, Smith-Njigba would have been basically a free waiver claim so I’m not sure why you are even bringing him up.  I even said that if he sucked, it wouldn’t matter because he would have cost nothing.

In any case, either guy would have been a better option than trading anything of value for a 5’6” outfielder that can’t hit a lick.

It still amazes me that you are trying to defend an absolutely terrible offseason by one of the worst GMs in baseball who is going to make history for the worst season in Sox history.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

39 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Are you real young? 

Good lord is that you Rick?

I would honestly be confident penciling Julks into the 2025 OF/DH/1B mix. Fletcher has hit in the majors. 

Let's see what Julks looks like when his BABIP comes down to earth.

• Like 1

It's true, he has gotten 13 hits in 84 chances this year for a robust .184 average.

• Haha 5
  • Fire 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

Both

For Crochet?

Haha.

That's the beginning of a Robert and Crochet deal.

Let's say Salas Merrill (actually a SS, so should be valued as one) Snelling DeVrieze plus one more Tier B.  Honestly think Preller would be reluctant to move Merrill because that opens up another hole in the outfield and he would then be relying on Robert's spotty health.

SD might be reluctant about Robert contract as well.

Without Bogaerts and Machado on the books this would be easier.

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The point is to obtain long-term legitimate starters at these positions, not the Lopez’s and Julks of the waiver wire.  What exactly did this accomplish anyways?

Regarding Julks, you said “He has more than a season of stats to look at. He certainly looks like he can play LF or RF for a couple of years.”

You want a .677 OPS in a corner outfield spot?

Well, the only legitimate "long term" prospect acquired was Zavala. The prospect guys thought he was a steal, so I'll go with them. Prospects don't plug in, then hit .300 with 30 HRS at every level, every year. The league adjusts to them, and the player needs to adjust back. It's weird how you get to dunk on everybody when a player hits a rough patch in the minors. I have no confidence in your ability to look at a stat line and "know" if a prospect is good or "sucks". 

I don't know what your problem is with Julks. He has 5 years of control left. He's adequate to hold down an OF spot during a rebuild. Julks and Lopez accomplish having people at positions to play baseball games. You seem to overlook that key aspect. Maybe Julks develops more power, and becomes a keeper. Everybody's screaming that they should give prospects a shot. Julks is getting a shot. 

You wanted a .500 OPS outfielder in a corner spot, and Michael A. Taylor would be our shitty, starting CF right now had we signed him. So you don't get to act superior. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The big plus here is the Sox already scouted this system extensive lying except for DeVrieze.

Who didn't except set the world on fire starting out...

Negative. That just means we've id'd the wrong guys.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Taylor still would have been better than the rotting corpse of Maldonado.  Also, Smith-Njigba would have been basically a free waiver claim so I’m not sure why you are even bringing him up.  I even said that if he sucked, it wouldn’t matter because he would have cost nothing.

In any case, either guy would have been a better option than trading anything of value for a 5’6” outfielder that can’t hit a lick.

It still amazes me that you are trying to defend an absolutely terrible offseason by one of the worst GMs in baseball who is going to make history for the worst season in Sox history.

You don't seem to be able to focus. Is Michael A. Taylor a catcher, now? Guys who know have said that the draft pick is probably the best piece Getz got back for Santos. Smith-Njigba's numbers are almost identical to DeLoach's. 

Fletcher has hit "a lick". I don't know what his issue is right now. Maybe the league has adjusted to him. 

I find it funny that you just rail on and on, and most of the time, you don't even try to make sense. It's year zero of the rebuild. Getz has really made 4 trades. He did well with Cease, jury's out on Santos, and Fletcher looks like Arizona did well. The Bummer trade brought back a good bullpen arm, and a very good pitching prospect. You don't win every single trade, and every single prospect doesn't hit the ground and tear their league apart. They focused on pitching, getting guys, fixing and flipping them. Fedde, Flexen, maybe even Crochet's a win.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So you can't actually tell me anything that changed.

Sure I can.  

They turned over about half the roster in one offseason, which was the highest percentage in the majors this year

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-teams-with-most-roster-turnover-in-2024

The guy publicly said "I don't like our team" at the winter meetings.  

There's plenty of evidence he's different.  He hired new people like Bannister and Barfield and Watson and Janish.  

Your argument is just a variation of "We were bad last year and we are still bad, therefore, its all the same."

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You don't seem to be able to focus. Is Michael A. Taylor a catcher, now? Guys who know have said that the draft pick is probably the best piece Getz got back for Santos. Smith-Njigba's numbers are almost identical to DeLoach's. 

Fletcher has hit "a lick". I don't know what his issue is right now. Maybe the league has adjusted to him. 

I find it funny that you just rail on and on, and most of the time, you don't even try to make sense. It's year zero of the rebuild. Getz has really made 4 trades. He did well with Cease, jury's out on Santos, and Fletcher looks like Arizona did well. The Bummer trade brought back a good bullpen arm, and a very good pitching prospect. You don't win every single trade, and every single prospect doesn't hit the ground and tear their league apart. They focused on pitching, getting guys, fixing and flipping them. Fedde, Flexen, maybe even Crochet's a win.

Getz has made a few dumb personnel moves, but those things don't really make me think he'll be a bad GM (he's also made some good ones).  He was saddled with a lot of immovable flotsam for this season.  
But the one thing that DOES scare me is that he retained Grifol and listens to him (Maldonado is probably a Grifol request).  It was obvious a year ago that the game is way over Grifol's head. 

Getz  needs to surround himself with strong baseball minds, and he should be self-aware enough to know that he needs to do that to succeed. 

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Sure I can.  

They turned over about half the roster in one offseason, which was the highest percentage in the majors this year

There's plenty of evidence he's different.  He hired new people like Bannister and Barfield and Watson and Janish.  

Your argument is just a variation of "We were bad last year and we are still bad, therefore, its all the same."

He turned over a really bad roster into a historically bad roster, and that is supposed to inspire me?  Wonderful sales job.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Sure I can.  

"I don't like our team"

Proceeds to build a roster on track to be the worst team of all time.

• Like 1