Padres into Garret Crochet

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You don't seem to be able to focus. Is Michael A. Taylor a catcher, now? Guys who know have said that the draft pick is probably the best piece Getz got back for Santos. Smith-Njigba's numbers are almost identical to DeLoach's. 

Fletcher has hit "a lick". I don't know what his issue is right now. Maybe the league has adjusted to him. 

I find it funny that you just rail on and on, and most of the time, you don't even try to make sense. It's year zero of the rebuild. Getz has really made 4 trades. He did well with Cease, jury's out on Santos, and Fletcher looks like Arizona did well. The Bummer trade brought back a good bullpen arm, and a very good pitching prospect. You don't win every single trade, and every single prospect doesn't hit the ground and tear their league apart. They focused on pitching, getting guys, fixing and flipping them. Fedde, Flexen, maybe even Crochet's a win.

Bro we're on pace to have the WORST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF 162 GAME SEASONS!

I mean, it's like saying well at least the carpet is intact after a tornado just blew all your walls and roof off.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean, it's like saying well at least the carpet is intact after a tornado just blew all your walls and roof off.

"The previous homeowner ruined the foundation."

"This doesn't explain why you placed dynamite in the basement."

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I keep saying this but it doesn’t register with him for whatever reason.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He turned over a really bad roster into a historically bad roster, and that is supposed to inspire me?  Wonderful sales job.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

"I don't like our team"

Proceeds to build a roster on track to be the worst team of all time.

Lol, this is the problem.  You argue he is the exact same as Hahn.  I point to evidence showing that he is different and the response is "but we suck."

On one hand you claim it will take 8 years to reach .500 and then in another post, you b**** that Getz didn't turn a horrible 100 loss team with big problems into a good team in a few months. 

I don't know if he's going to be any good.  He's done some good things and some bad things.  But to say we need to trade Crochet for 17 year olds because we'll never be good again is silly.

• Like 4

To the tank people out there compared to the traditional fan (me):

Hmmm Cease and Crochet would be 2/5 of a pretty dandy rotation for years to come. We had both on the South Side. After the Crochet trade we'll have zero of them. You can start to build a team around 2 fantastic starters and one superstar candidate in Robert. My point is at some point if we ever win we're gonna need 4 good starters. We had two but soon will have none. I get so frustrated by all this tanking ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hmmm Cease and Crochet would be 2/5 of a pretty dandy rotation for years to come. We had both on the South Side. After the Crochet trade we'll have zero of them. You can start to build a team around 2 fantastic starters and one superstar candidate in Robert. My point is at some point if we ever win we're gonna need 4 good starters. We had two but soon will have none. I get so frustrated by all this tanking ...

Your point makes some sense but go convince Jerry to resign them.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You can't build anything around 2 guys who are only here for 2 more years when the owner doesn't give rich extensions to pitchers and we wouldn't be that competitive even in those 2 years cause they have no bats outside of Robert.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Lol, this is the problem.  You argue he is the exact same as Hahn.  I point to evidence showing that he is different and the response is "but we suck."

On one hand you claim it will take 8 years to reach .500 and then in another post, you b**** that Getz didn't turn a horrible 100 loss team with big problems into a good team in a few months. 

I don't know if he's going to be any good.  He's done some good things and some bad things.  But to say we need to trade Crochet for 17 year olds because we'll never be good again is silly.

He turned a 100 loss team into a 120 loss team, yet we are supposed to believe that soon the same guy can turn it into a 90 win team when the cupboard is basically bare from the player side and we have an owner which will not spend in the free agent market, and in fact has mocked the very idea.  But somehow, there is a winning team there.

Screenshot_20240604_190633_Chrome.jpg

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He turned a 100 loss team into a 120 loss team, yet we are supposed to believe that soon the same guy can turn it into a 90 win team when the cupboard is basically bare from the player side and we have an owner which will not spend in the free agent market, and in fact has mocked the very idea.  But somehow, there is a winning team there.

But JR will have "payroll flexability"!

the-office-laugh.png

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

But JR will have "payroll flexability"!

the-office-laugh.png

Just like he had in 2018 and 19, but refused to sign top free agents with.  I can't wait to not get Juan Soto and other real difference makes, so we can throw $80 million at a C level guy.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Playing the hits today!  Now we've reached the part of the discussion where you claim they dumped a bunch of minor leaguers but can't come up with any names except for a guy who just got suspended a year for gambling and 4 more 28 year olds. I love this one.  

Are you taking requests?  I haven't heard "He should play more kids instead of the vet placeholders even though I sometimes claim they are rushing prospects". That's a favorite of mine.

• Fire 1

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

Playing the hits today!  Now we've reached the part of the discussion where you claim they dumped a bunch of minor leaguers but can't come up with any names except for a guy who just got suspended a year for gambling and 4 more 28 year olds. I love this one.  

Are you taking requests?  I haven't heard "He should play more kids instead of the vet placeholders even though I sometimes claim they are rushing prospects". That's a favorite of mine.

Yeah, truly a great post on why the Sox can win in the next few years.  If you are on me, you have nothing.

45 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I have a friend from Houston. I congratulated him on their 2022 Championship, and he just moaned about how he would never get over that 111 loss season. He said that's all anybody ever talked about at the victory parade. 

Seriously, who cares? It's a rebuild. Teams lose during a rebuild. 

The proper metaphor is gutting your house to rehab it, then screaming every single day that there's no plumbing. And that there will never be any plumbing, because even though you have a new contractor, IT'S STILL THE SAME OWNER!!!!

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I have a friend from Houston. I congratulated him on their 2022 Championship, and he just moaned about how he would never get over that 111 loss season. He said that's all anybody ever talked about at the victory parade. 

The proper metaphor is gutting your house to rehab it, then screaming every single day that there's no plumbing. And that there will never be any plumbing, because even though you have a new contractor, IT'S STILL THE SAME OWNER!!!!

what in the absolute whataboutism depths of hell are you on today? you are comparing one of the best franchises in baseball with arguably the worst and drawing some sort of positive affirmation for Chris Getz's Sox on pace to shatter worst ever records?

Yea I'm moving on. Enjoy arguing with anybody still willing to engage your bad faith analysis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just don't think there's a match with the Padres...

If I'm Preller (and he's already saved this season with Profar and Arraez so far), you're looking at guys like Severino, Manaea, Quintana, Megill, on the Mets, for example.

I highly doubt even Preller's going to take a chance trying for a package of Crochet/Robert, even though that's the one with the highest possible payoff (more future years than 2024) for 2025-26.

Just depends on how solid he feels his position is out there...with the failure of Bogaerts (so far), Machado's injuries and future profile, Musgrove/Darvish injured/aging, it's an interesting position to be in considering the farm system is still Top 6-10 in the big leagues and they're also in the Top 3 for attendance and need to try to sustain that after the debacle with their RSN.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

what in the absolute whataboutism depths of hell are you on today? you are comparing one of the best franchises in baseball with arguably the worst and drawing some sort of positive affirmation for Chris Getz's Sox on pace to shatter worst ever records?

Yea I'm moving on. Enjoy arguing with anybody still willing to engage your bad faith analysis.

Don't forget the Astros had the worst TV ratings in recorded history in the depths of that rebuild.

Because the White Sox are banging on the door of that dubious 0.0 as well.   Perhaps they have to start marketing Schiffren's antics to draw in more viewers, it's that bad.

• Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Let's see what Julks looks like when his BABIP comes down to earth.

Sure. And if he could OPS .700-.750 in a rebuild year, that works just fine. 

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You're not even arguing. Yes, the team is bad. They're in a rebuild. Please show me the rebuilds that start out with a 90 win season and then get better. 

The whining disguised as "arguing" is truly next level. 

• TLR 1

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Nah, it's more like paying a contractor to work on your fix up project who then bolts with your cash.  Then you hire his brother who dumps toxic waste in your basement. 

• Haha 1