Padres into Garret Crochet

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You're not even arguing. Yes, the team is bad. They're in a rebuild. Please show me the rebuilds that start out with a 90 win season and then get better. 

The whining disguised as "arguing" is truly next level. 

The 2004-2005 White Sox.

That started out with basically a "false positive" 100ish win team in 2000 and the #1 farm system in the world simultaneously.

The prospects mostly failed, but the FA moves combined with Buehrle/Rowand/Crede/Garland/Jenks were enough to push them over the top with the additions of Garcia/Contreras to the roation.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which we pointed out screamed flukiness based on the batted ball data which you proceeded to ignore by claiming we were just “hating”

He's always carried higher baBips. 2024 is actually the outlier. I didn't ignore. I acknowledged his higher babips through the minors. Do you understand that you lose credibility as you continue to misrepresent old exchanges?

Edited by WestEddy

52 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I have a friend from Houston. I congratulated him on their 2022 Championship, and he just moaned about how he would never get over that 111 loss season. He said that's all anybody ever talked about at the victory parade. 

Seriously, who cares? It's a rebuild. Teams lose during a rebuild. 

The proper metaphor is gutting your house to rehab it, then screaming every single day that there's no plumbing. And that there will never be any plumbing, because even though you have a new contractor, IT'S STILL THE SAME OWNER!!!!

Dude I live in Houston and am surrounded by their annoying fans, they never talk about anything other than how great they are and how they go to the ALCS every year. No one ever talks about those bad years. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, T R U said:

Dude I live in Houston and am surrounded by their annoying fans, they never talk about anything other than how great they are and how they go to the ALCS every year. No one ever talks about those bad years. 

Oh. So then nobody will care about this season, historic or otherwise, if they start to win down the road.

Thanks. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Oh. So then nobody will care about this season, historic or otherwise, if they start to win down the road.

Thanks. 

That’s exactly right. It’s why I don’t really care how bad they are, I’ll forget about this if they can build sustained success. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

Thanks. 

Thankfully no one had to live thru the failure years and rebuilds always work.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Thankfully no one had to live thru the failure years and rebuilds always work.

I'm sure there will be human rights abuse trials at Nuremburg in the ensuing decades. 

11 minutes ago, T R U said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Dolan

Except for one of my college dorm-mates who got canned (I think it was along with Milo Hamilton) by the Astros just as they were starting to come out of the rebuild...it was actually Dave Raymond and it was at the end of 2012.  If you know Houston history, well, we all know what happened from 2013 through 2024.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2012/10/5/3458990/goodbye-brett-dolan-and-dave-raymond

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I'm sure there will be human rights abuse trials at Nuremburg in the ensuing decades. 

Not to mention your candidacy for Sainthood for trying to preach to the unknown heathens.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

He's always carried higher baBips. 2024 is actually the outlier. I didn't ignore. I acknowledged his higher babips through the minors. Do you understand that you lose credibility as you continue to misrepresent old exchanges?

The point wasn’t he was rocking a high BABIP.  Obviously some guys can rock higher BABIPS.  The call out from me was his wOBA was ~80 points higher than his xwOBA in 2023 and was rapidly regressing before he was sent down, hence the BABIP was never sustainable.  And yes, you ignored this point and continued to use a flukey 100 plate appearance sample as proof he could hit major league pitching…even up to today.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Carl would be a better GM. He'd weed out the weak.

Paul:  CAAAARRRRLLLLL. Why is our left fielder dead?

Carl: I do not kill fielders that is my least favorite thing to do.

Paul: Carl, they got you on the Jumbotron stabbing him 44 times.

Carl: That will teach him to not bunt. Also try the Deep Fried Hands Milkshake, it is to die for.

Paul:  CCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Paul:  CAAAARRRRLLLLL. Why is our left fielder dead?

Carl: I do not kill fielders that is my least favorite thing to do.

Paul: Carl, they got you on the Jumbotron stabbing him 44 times.

Carl: That will teach him to not bunt. Also try the Deep Fried Hands Milkshake, it is to die for.

Paul:  CCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLL

Make sure to keep Moises Alou away from that...

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The point wasn’t he was rocking a high BABIP.  Obviously some guys can rock higher BABIPS.  The call out from me was his wOBA was ~80 points higher than his xwOBA in 2023 and was rapidly regressing before he was sent down, hence the BABIP was never sustainable.  And yes, you ignored this point and continued to use a flukey 100 plate appearance sample as proof he could hit major league pitching…even up to today.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccarja02.shtml

McCarthy, the door not chosen by Getz, at least with a positive bWAR and OPS...

5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Zavala, DeLoach, and Fletcher.

Getz had an offseason and it was one of the worst that I can remember as a Sox fan.  It reminds me of the 2016 offseason.

I know you're in your element bashing everything in your line of fire but all you did was mention 3 names. You didn't say anything about them. You then proceed to call it  the worst off season you can remember. Well duh the whole off season was based on cutting payroll  and picking up old trash and hoping it could be sold off for 6nyesrs of upside.

Only Zavala was acquired in the only significant trade Getz made.  The other 3 guys Thorpe and Iriarte and Wilson were doing pretty good. Everything else was potential for potential and probably minor potential if you want to be fair about it. Like  how Mazara for Steele Walker turned out.

Are you already writing off Zavala ? He's 19 and has 55 games at A+. The AA RP they got for Grossman has been good since they got him.

I don't expect any miracles at the trade deadline do you ?

Fedde may bring something worthy of attention . That's about it unless they move  Crochet or Robert. Both seem unlikely to happen . Kopech, Pham ,DeJong , Brebbia ,Flexen , Hill anything we get is likely to be akin to the Grossman trade. 6 years worth of some maybes.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know you're in your element bashing everything in your line of fire but all you did was mention 3 names. You didn't say anything about them. You then proceed to call it  the worst off season you can remember. Well duh the whole off season was based on cutting payroll  and picking up old trash and hoping it could be sold off for 6nyesrs of upside.

Only Zavala was acquired in the only significant trade Getz made.  The other 3 guys Thorpe and Iriarte and Wilson were doing pretty good. Everything else was potential for potential and probably minor potential if you want to be fair about it. Like  how Mazara for Steele Walker turned out.

Are you already writing off Zavala ? He's 19 and has 55 games at A+. The AA RP they got for Grossman has been good since they got him.

I don't expect any miracles at the trade deadline do you ?

Fedde may bring something worthy of attention . That's about it unless they move  Crochet or Robert. Both seem unlikely to happen . Kopech, Pham ,DeJong , Brebbia ,Flexen , Hill anything we get is likely to be akin to the Grossman trade. 6 years worth of some maybes.

Not writing off these guys but isn’t it strange how they falter coming over to our farm system?  The stink has unfortunately never left this organization.

And yes, the offseason was terrible.  But the Sox offseason strategy never really changes so I expect more of the same next offseason.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Not writing off these guys but isn’t it strange how they falter coming over to our farm system?  The stink has unfortunately never left this organization.

And yes, the offseason was terrible.  But the Sox offseason strategy never really changes so I expect more of the same next offseason.

Sometimes guys stink moving up a level until they adjust or they dont. Thorpe hasn't sucked,neither has Iriarte. Korey Lee's doing decent after he sucked late in the season last year. The kid they got for Grossman hasn't sucked. Shuster has done well. Everybody bagged on Jacob Gonzalez last year but he made some changes and has looked much better this year and got promoted to AA. Sosa always took time adjusting to a new level then figured it out as he climbed the ladder. Every team in baseball has players just like this.

I'm no big believer in our farm system by a long shot but that's on Reinsdorf. I'll keep repeating that till my fingers are gnarled . They won't pay for 2 DSL teams like maybe 1/3 of teams do who actually think spending internationally in the D.R. Is worth the headaches. JR doesn't want to deal in the murky waters. Or maybe he just doesn't want to acquire the expensive best young talent. So they end up picking older Cubans and signing mostly Venezuelans. Eder sucked when he got traded into our systems but he was a gamble coming off arm surgery and probably was gassed but even when he was  good he didn't have many innings under his belt.Most here loved that trade except for the Burger guys like me. But I'm not writing Eder off yet. The decision to turn Crochet into a SP has worked well so far. The hiring of Bannister and that decision alone is hardly mentioned when talking about a small change that's going pretty well right now. Ultimately who knows what happens.

There's only so much a lot of these executives under JR can do given his involvement in all aspects of the organization especially when it comes to scouting and player development having limited resources be it quality or just quantity hires , software, latest tech. International spending , JR slashes money everywhere. Even if Getz is not qualified if you base it on how he did as player development chief how can anyone expect success from him given everything JR does to inhibit player development ?

AJ Perrynski was a team Ambassador for the Sox and JR let him go for speaking out against the Getz hire. But AJs no dummy .He knows actual qualified execs cost more money and need more freedom to do as they please and won't worked under JR.

I generally reserve my ire for JR. You can say whatever you want about Getz , Grifol , player development but to me it's a waste of space when the head honcho ,while not calling all the shots, is severely limiting the ammo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Hopefully Adam Mazur (#5 prospect) isn’t auditioning for a trade tonight.

They need a LH SP badly, but I’m not sure who they could offer in a trade for Crochet. Any one of Salas, Snelling, Lesko and De Vries would be shockingly foolish. And personally I’d rather they not part with Jay Beshears, who’s looking like a breakout power prospect. Perhaps a package that includes 2 or 3 of Graham Pauley, Ryan Bergert, Randy Vasquez (SP, Soto trade) and one of the young catchers Valenzuela or Gonzalez gets it done?

• I don’t think that will get it done.

gaslampball.com

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sometimes guys stink moving up a level until they adjust or they dont. Thorpe hasn't sucked,neither has Iriarte. Korey Lee's doing decent after he sucked late in the season last year. The kid they got for Grossman hasn't sucked. Shuster has done well. Everybody bagged on Jacob Gonzalez last year but he made some changes and has looked much better this year and got promoted to AA. Sosa always took time adjusting to a new level then figured it out as he climbed the ladder. Every team in baseball has players just like this.

I'm no big believer in our farm system by a long shot but that's on Reinsdorf. I'll keep repeating that till my fingers are gnarled . They won't pay for 2 DSL teams like maybe 1/3 of teams do who actually think spending internationally in the D.R. Is worth the headaches. JR doesn't want to deal in the murky waters. Or maybe he just doesn't want to acquire the expensive best young talent. So they end up picking older Cubans and signing mostly Venezuelans. Eder sucked when he got traded into our systems but he was a gamble coming off arm surgery and probably was gassed but even when he was  good he didn't have many innings under his belt.Most here loved that trade except for the Burger guys like me. But I'm not writing Eder off yet. The decision to turn Crochet into a SP has worked well so far. The hiring of Bannister and that decision alone is hardly mentioned when talking about a small change that's going pretty well right now. Ultimately who knows what happens.

There's only so much a lot of these executives under JR can do given his involvement in all aspects of the organization especially when it comes to scouting and player development having limited resources be it quality or just quantity hires , software, latest tech. International spending , JR slashes money everywhere. Even if Getz is not qualified if you base it on how he did as player development chief how can anyone expect success from him given everything JR does to inhibit player development ?

AJ Perrynski was a team Ambassador for the Sox and JR let him go for speaking out against the Getz hire. But AJs no dummy .He knows actual qualified execs cost more money and need more freedom to do as they please and won't worked under JR.

I generally reserve my ire for JR. You can say whatever you want about Getz , Grifol , player development but to me it's a waste of space when the head honcho ,while not calling all the shots, is severely limiting the ammo.

Yes.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Agreed with most of what you said here.  Reinsdorf is the problem.  If sucks when you know the Sox will have a lot of money to spend but they will spread it out amongst a bunch of C level free agents.  I’m more excited to see the trade returns for Robert, Crochet, Fedde, Kopech, etc. because the Sox have a shot at better players in these returns than the guys they will sign in the offseason.

• Thanks 1