Padres into Garret Crochet

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I also think I have figured out where flat earthers come from.

Membership is free just like here. There is a secondary tier for $12 which gets you some cool swag. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Gowans at Winston-Salem is the prospect we got in the Bummer trade. He's probably the next starter promoted out of high-A.

AAA

AA

Noah Schultz*
Drew Thorpe
Jairo Iriarte
Ky Bush*
Mason Adams
Jake Eder*

A+

A

Grant Taylor

R

Probably leave it there as far as real potential MLB prospects. You have a very strange idea of what a good pitching prospect is. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, T R U said:

That’s not what I said at all. I said if they don’t trade Robert, Crochet, Fedde, etc and only declined options on the obvious players they would have upwards of 15 roster spots to fill next season. 

Secondly, they threw 7.5 million per year at an unknown SP and it’s paying off. That’s great, but if that’s your expectation for filling out the rotation that’s not going to end well 

Obviously the guy was trying to humble brag Fedde, but I don't know how you can look at last off season and feel like that experience is something we should be excited about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, T R U said:

That’s not what I said at all. I said if they don’t trade Robert, Crochet, Fedde, etc and only declined options on the obvious players they would have upwards of 15 roster spots to fill next season. 

Thanks for clarifying.  It makes complete sense now.  We need to get you hired in the front office so you can give a seminar to these clowns on the the importance of fielding a complete roster. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Thanks for clarifying.  It makes complete sense now.  We need to get you hired in the front office so you can give a seminar to these clowns on the the importance of fielding a complete roster. 

Fielding a complete roster full of competent MLB players, which isn’t going to be happening if your expectation is we just call up a bunch of prospects and sign mid to low tier FA. This is what has been happening this season and we’ll, you know how it’s going. 

This was your great plan to be back to .500 in a year or two. Now I remember you’re the same goofball who has this very same argument a few weeks ago and said there was a bunch of JR apologists on this board lol. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Fedde? A guy who was a scrap heap "20% of the time this works out" type signing? The type of signing the Sox have made for a decade, even when firmly in the contention window and need much more than just 20% odds of average production?

You can't make a living signing guys that had career .3 WAR to fill out the rotation. That's doomed to fail over a large sample, as we've all seen. The occasional lightning strike doesn't make up for the half a dozen misses before and after.

So you agree with the other posters that the Chicago White Sox are incapable of signing a middle of the rotation pitcher in the next 2 years? 

How are rotations filled across the league?  Does everyone have five $35 million dollar a year players?

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

So you agree with the other posters that the Chicago White Sox are incapable of signing a middle of the rotation pitcher in the next 2 years? 

How are rotations filled across the league?  Does everyone have five $35 million dollar a year players?

Not incapable, they’re not willing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Go ahead and look up the longest contract the Sox have ever given a FA pitcher and tell me how that will play out with guys not coming off a year in Korea who entered the offseason with .3 WAR at 31 years old.

I mean, can't get fooled again. The Sox will not spend at the level it takes to meaningfully improve the team through FA. Even when on paper they are in a contention period. They certainly aren't going to do it to take a team from 75 to 80 wins.

7 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Across the league? Or LA versus Pittsburgh? There are lots of variables. 

The Sox are capable of offering a contract to a middle of the rotation guy. They will likely have to overpay unless the guy likes pitching to small crowds and no run support. He will probably be coming off an injury and be willing to accept a prove it contract.

26 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Objectively, I would say the AAA guys are suspect. 

Oh, sure. Martin, Burke and Drohan are all recovering from surgery, and most probably won't be starting this year. And with the wave at AA, this is probably their window to establish themselves. Cannon's already been bounced out, but he'll most likely be getting August/Sept starts. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, T R U said:

Probably leave it there as far as real potential MLB prospects. You have a very strange idea of what a good pitching prospect is. 

The fact that you can't even name one of these guys and give a reason says to me you have no idea what a good pitching prospect is, strange or otherwise. 

It's kind of prickish to pretend you're interested in somebody's thinking, ask them to write up a list, then piss on it. 

Edited by WestEddy

20 minutes ago, T R U said:

Fielding a complete roster full of competent MLB players, which isn’t going to be happening if your expectation is we just call up a bunch of prospects and sign mid to low tier FA. This is what has been happening this season and we’ll, you know how it’s going. 

This was your great plan to be back to .500 in a year or two. Now I remember you’re the same goofball who has this very same argument a few weeks ago and said there was a bunch of JR apologists on this board lol. 

If only major league GMs were to figure out the "sign or trade for all the good players" philosophy. I often wonder why guys like you aren't constantly being recruited by major sports teams. You seem to have it all figured out. 

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Oh, sure. Martin, Burke and Drohan are all recovering from surgery, and most probably won't be starting this year. And with the wave at AA, this is probably their window to establish themselves. Cannon's already been bounced out, but he'll most likely be getting August/Sept starts. 

Sometimes when they move guys up real fast (without performance that would warrant it) or jump them a level to fill an opening, I get the feeling that the FO has basically given up on further development. 

21 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

It's almost like they think GMs sit at home and read Fangraphs to do their scouting. 

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Go ahead and look up the longest contract the Sox have ever given a FA pitcher and tell me how that will play out with guys not coming off a year in Korea who entered the offseason with .3 WAR at 31 years old.

I mean, can't get fooled again. The Sox will not spend at the level it takes to meaningfully improve the team through FA. Even when on paper they are in a contention period. They certainly aren't going to do it to take a team from 75 to 80 wins.

I'm led to believe the Sox made a very competitive bid on Wheeler, and he just opted for the Phillies. They could have gone nuts this last off-season and had 3 mid-rotation arms at 1/$15m. They cut their budget. 

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Sometimes when they move guys up real fast (without performance that would warrant it) or jump them a level to fill an opening, I get the feeling that the FO has basically given up on further development. 

That's probably true. Promotions seem to be pretty deliberate this season, Getz' first. Burke rocketed up the ladder until he got injured. 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

If only major league GMs were to figure out the "sign or trade for all the good players" philosophy. I often wonder why guys like you aren't constantly being recruited by major sports teams. You seem to have it all figured out. 

You almost got this point.  This IS difficult.  To act like it isn't, especially when the Sox artificially limit themselves in so many ways, is ridiculous.  But somehow you can't take this fact you seemingly got in your post and then realize that means the Sox filling holes thru free agency effectively isn't a slam dunk.  Keep up 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Relying on public scouting and data would probably improve our org leaps and bounds.

Relying on their own scouting probably already has. I don't think Hahn/KW were very good at using or listening to their scouts. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

You almost got this point.  This IS difficult.  To act like it isn't, especially when the Sox artificially limit themselves in so many ways, is ridiculous.  But somehow you can't take this fact you seemingly got in your post and then realize that means the Sox filling holes thru free agency effectively isn't a slam dunk.  Keep up 

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or arguing with me. It is difficult. I think that in the past, the Sox just succumbed to public pressure, and signed Adam Dunn, or plugged in a AAAA player. But scouting and signing Frankie Montas isn't some great accomplishment. 

We're in a rebuild. This T R U guy is suggesting that filling starting roles through the minor leagues, then finishing with FA is impossible, or something. JR has "approved" it happening when he had a GM who wanted to do it. Ron Schueler and KW didn't seem to have any problem. We'll see how Getz does. I suppose he's over his head because he doesn't call all his players garbage on a message board. LOL. 

14 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm led to believe the Sox made a very competitive bid on Wheeler, and he just opted for the Phillies. They could have gone nuts this last off-season and had 3 mid-rotation arms at 1/$15m. They cut their budget. 

Oh, we've made a number of "highly competitive bids" over the last decade. It's resulted in amazing signings like Beni and others.