Padres into Garret Crochet

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

If opposing teams don’t believe that extending him is even a 5-10% possibility, why would they offer bigger packages, knowing the clock is ticking on his usefulness this season or even that an injury could still occur?

Giving even the Cease return requires a lot of cojones from at least 2-3 teams…or no bidding war.  Certainly need two playoff contenders.

Teams don't base their offers on whether or not they think they can extend a guy.

Anyone wanting him will base their offers on risk tolerance. He's not likely to help a team in the playoffs this year which is the likely reason their won't be very many offers. Most teams will pass on him and wait to see how the rest of the season plays out . Can he stay healthy ?
They'll already be getting a bargain on his salary which is nothing right now and will continue to be during his Arb. years.

If Getz were to extend him now and buy out his Arb years and a FA agent year or 2 he gains no leverage in a trade because he'll be making his ARb years more expensive and guaranteeing even more money for a year or 2 extra. How is that attractive to another team  when all a team has to do is come to an agreement with him on his Arb salary next year and the year after which is usually a fairly routine process.

Teams would want him during the off season because he stayed healthy the rest of this year and he's a dam good pitcher, inexpensive and should be able to pitch even more innings next year. You're acting like getting a cheap very good pitcher for 2 years is some kind of bad thing for any team contending.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Teams don't base their offers on whether or not they think they can extend a guy.

Anyone wanting him will base their offers on risk tolerance. He's not likely to help a team in the playoffs this year which is the likely reason their won't be very many offers. Most teams will pass on him and wait to see how the rest of the season plays out . Can he stay healthy ?
They'll already be getting a bargain on his salary which is nothing right now and will continue to be during his Arb. years.

If Getz were to extend him now and buy out his Arb years and a FA agent year or 2 he gains no leverage in a trade because he'll be making his ARb years more expensive and guaranteeing even more money for a year or 2 extra. How is that attractive to another team  when all a team has to do is come to an agreement with him on his Arb salary next year and the year after which is usually a fairly routine process.

Teams would want him during the off season because he stayed healthy the rest of this year and he's a dam good pitcher, inexpensive and should be able to pitch even more innings next year. You're acting like getting a cheap very good pitcher for 2 years is some kind of bad thing for any team contending.

See Garcia, Freddy...huge offer at the time never is made without extension with Sox already baked in.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The problem is if Getz does NOT move either Robert or Crochet at the TDL, there's nothing to promote for the rest of the season.

Just the new high first round draft pick.

And teams can always come up their own creative offers for Crochet extensions like huge incentives (easily reached with 20-25ish starts) and/or deferred dollars into the future like the Dodgers did with Ohtani.

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is if Getz does NOT move either Robert or Crochet at the TDL, there's nothing to promote for the rest of the season.

Just the new high first round draft pick.

And teams can always come up their own creative offers for Crochet extensions like huge incentives (easily reached with 20-25ish starts) and/or deferred dollars into the future like the Dodgers did with Ohtani.

He has 2.5 years of control. Whether you extend him or not that is plenty of control. Extending him is not a leverage thing to get more in trade it would purely be a we want to lock a front line starter into our rebuild.

For the record - if Crochet hadn’t been consistently hurt, I would not be proposing to trade him, cause he has an elite arm, but with his checkered past and the Sox being the biggest small market club on the planet, you got to go get a haul for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

See Garcia, Freddy...huge offer at the time never is made without extension with Sox already baked in.

Come on that's ancient history you ignored everything else I said. He's already cost controlled for his remaining years for cheap. The only question is his health. There are zero reasons to make him more of a risk for teams wanting him by extending him.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Come on that's ancient history you ignored everything else I said. He's already cost controlled for his remaining years for cheap. The only question is his health. There are zero reasons to make him more of a risk for teams wanting him by extending him.

If he gets seriously hurt again this season....you only have him for 1/2 season at best.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If he gets seriously hurt again this season....you only have him for 1/2 season at best.

So?  You could argue that about almost any trade for a pitcher.  There is a risk to all trades that is accepted to make a deal.  Crochet has 2.5 years of control.  His talent and performance, along with those 2.5 years of control would be what a team is acquiring and trading talent for, not some chance (or not) of a contract extension.  His injury history would also be factored in on the return.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

55 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Basallo’s bat is far less impressive if he’s a 1b long term

And for the first time that I can ever recall, we’re actually pretty stacked with catching depth.

On 6/7/2024 at 3:34 PM, wrathofhahn said:

Like these people are delusional we lost 14 in a row. Whatever he thought about the team before the season and the reasoning for acquiring older prospects doesn't matter. The reality is what it is.

This is the worst team in baseball maybe in all of professional sports. We are not 1-2 years away from competing. Period.

We do not have the base talent level and the prospects coming up behind them to win. Like I don't even know where this is coming from? Are people watching a different team.

1970 White Sox 56-106. 1972 White Sox 87-67. Second best record in AL. Whipped World Series winner A's

in season series. Were really one player away from winning division over A's. Bill Melton Fell off a ladder doing 

home maintenance. went from  33 homers 96 ribbies in 1971 to 7 and 30 in age 27 season 1972.  Don't always

think there is no hope for the near future. With Noah Schultz and Grant Taylor in the minors, Sox really could have the best 

Big 3 in the majors in 2026. Crochet, Schultz and Taylor could dominate any short series. I know we suck. I'm not

blind. The fact is 2 years in MLB is a lifetime. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, zisk said:

1970 White Sox 56-106. 1972 White Sox 87-67. Second best record in AL. Whipped World Series winner A's

in season series. Were really one player away from winning division over A's. Bill Melton Fell off a ladder doing 

home maintenance. went from  33 homers 96 ribbies in 1971 to 7 and 30 in age 27 season 1972.  Don't always

think there is no hope for the near future. With Noah Schultz and Grant Taylor in the minors, Sox really could have the best 

Big 3 in the majors in 2026. Crochet, Schultz and Taylor could dominate any short series. I know we suck. I'm not

You can do that with a competent front office. The Sox had Roland Hemond and Chuck Tanner driving the train.

This front office is incompetent, dysfunctional and inept.

Hard to overcome that regardless of how much talent you may have in the minor leagues. Crochet I feel will be traded anyway.

And Melton suffered a herniated disc rescuing his son who somehow got up on the garage roof and was trapped there.    

On 6/17/2024 at 6:07 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Basallo’s bat is far less impressive if he’s a 1b long term

If the Orioles are already thinking that far ahead they are morons. Leave him at catcher you can always move him around to 1B at the MLB level.

Also even if everything goes right. He is probably three years away at least. Rutschman is a FA after 2027.

Even if Rutschman is extended he is probably going to play around 95-100 games at catcher less as he continues to age. Which means you have 62-67 games for Basallo and can pencil the rest in at 1B/DH. I mean backup catcher is one of the worst performing positions in all of sports.

The average catcher has around .677 ops backup catcher regularly have sub 600 ops. James McCann their current backup catcher is on pace for around 70 games with a .508 OPS. You can't tell me there isn't premium value in having a really good backup catcher particularly one with a good bat.

You look at what the Blue Jays were able to do for years with Jensen and Kirk why wouldn't you want to replicate that as an O's fan. Or a whitesox fan. Why would you want some stiff playing backup catcher like Maldonado or McCann and to be clear you are not going to sign any good catchers and convince them to give up catching fulltime. That will only happen with players who have control.

Edited by wrathofhahn

On 6/17/2024 at 6:31 PM, zisk said:

2021 Diamondbacks 52-110,

2021 Rangers 60-102

2023 World Series

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Not really....then you would still expect to get 4 1/2 years out of him upon recovery.

I'm not the only one telling you that an extension isn't necessary to trade him nor is it a knock on Getz. If he's not traded by the deadline the likely reason will be uncertainty over his availability to pitch in the post season.

Besides that it's difficult to respond to you if you keep adding unknown hypotheticals in the argument.

I already don't know the length or cost of an extension nor do I know the date of injury, type of injury , length of recovery that you just added to the equation.