Padres into Garret Crochet

3 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

1. Ownership won't extend either Crochet or Robert at fair value

2. They're 5 years away so it's pointless. 

They shouldn't extend either and should trade them the first chance they get.  Neither can stay on the field long enough. 

Cease was who they should have tried to extend. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

They shouldn't extend either and should trade them the first chance they get.  Neither can stay on the field long enough. 

Cease was who they should have tried to extend. 

Cease didn't make sense either.

Some guys in AA are nothing more than trade pieces in the future. They're that far away. The remainder of this decade is lost. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

26 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Cease didn't make sense either.

Some guys in AA are nothing more than trade pieces in the future. They're that far away. The remainder of this decade is lost. 

This is just silly. 

Most guys in AA are trade pieces. That's not a marker for "how far away" this team is. Your projected 3B, SS, 2B and C are at AA or higher. We have 10 projectable starting pitchers at AA or higher. 

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

This is just silly. 

Most guys in AA are trade pieces. That's not a marker for "how far away" this team is. Your projected 3B, SS, 2B and C are at AA or higher. We have 10 projectable starting pitchers at AA or higher. 

Who is the 2B?

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Not writing off these guys but isn’t it strange how they falter coming over to our farm system?  The stink has unfortunately never left this organization.

And yes, the offseason was terrible.  But the Sox offseason strategy never really changes so I expect more of the same next offseason.

You are totally writing them off. 

Prospects have their leagues adjust to them. They slump. Then they adjust, and streak. Then they get promoted, and play against older, more experienced players and slump again. You don't seem to acknowledge this. You just keep jamming that square peg into the round hole of "I hate Chris Getz!!! He sucks!!!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Any one of Gonzo, Baldwin or Ramos. Even Sosa, at this point. 

The only one that is projected (your word) at this point is Ramos, and the way your list was I imagine you were counting him as 3rd, and if that is the case, you can't also count him as second.  As to the rest, I have yet to see anyone projecting any of the other three as major league starters.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The only one that is projected (your word) at this point is Ramos, and the way your list was I imagine you were counting him as 3rd, and if that is the case, you can't also count him as second.  As to the rest, I have yet to see anyone projecting any of the other three as major league starters.

I don't think the organization is writing off Jacob Gonzalez just yet. 

24 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I don't think the organization is writing off Jacob Gonzalez just yet. 

Not writing off and projected as a starter are two completely different things.  I expect you know that.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not writing off and projected as a starter are two completely different things.  I expect you know that.

I'm sorry. Can you tell me which baseball prospect publications we both write for, and are held to these standards?

Knock off the BS. Go pick on your mini-me who thinks every player in the Sox organization is "garbage". 

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm sorry. Can you tell me which baseball prospect publications we both write for, and are held to these standards?

Knock off the BS. Go pick on your mini-me who thinks every player in the Sox organization is "garbage". 

If someone is trying to tell me that all of those are projected starters, yes, I will question them, mostly because that is answer is a massive outlier compared to what everything else is saying. 

• Thanks 1

Back to the topic, I do think Crochet gets traded now (I didn't before). The guy is going to get a ton of interest from teams from now to the deadline.  

If SD wants him, I think they would have to part with Merrill.  Something like Crochet and Pham for Merrill, Snelling, De Vries, and Kemp would entice me

17 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Says the guy who is penciling in guys like Julks and possibly Fletcher into his starting lineup going forward…

• Like 2

cease currently ranked 9th and crochet 8th on fangraphs ?

the padres would need to offer at least vries/salas + snelling/lesko for 2.5yrs of a top 10 pitcher. a return of vries + salas would be ideal. Merrill is the future face of their franchise.

• Paper Bag 1

5 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

1. Ownership won't extend either Crochet or Robert at fair value

2. They're 5 years away so it's pointless. 

They could be competitive in 3 years if done correctly; 5 years away = 10 years away = perpetual rebuild (Pirates). 
Now I don't know whether Getz will do it correctly or not.  But the farm has been improving, and not just from the players brought in from other orgs. 

And some of the farm will have to be traded, but never for aging players, rents or one-year wonders.

More good news is that Crochet is #8 in pitcher fWAR (one spot ahead of Cease) and Fedde is #30, ahead of several name pitchers and pitchers whose names have been bandied about as having good years.  I do wish that Getz had put more into this bullpen; they make nice trade pieces (and this horrid pen is a contributor to this being a 40 win team instead of 60 win).

Can Getz get this done?  I have no idea.  But too early to give up or to pound on him.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

They could be competitive in 3 years if done correctly; 5 years away = 10 years away = perpetual rebuild (Pirates). 
Now I don't know whether Getz will do it correctly or not.  But the farm has been improving, and not just from the players brought in from other orgs. 

And some of the farm will have to be traded, but never for aging players, rents or one-year wonders.

More good news is that Crochet is #8 in pitcher fWAR (one spot ahead of Cease) and Fedde is #30, ahead of several name pitchers and pitchers whose names have been bandied about as having good years.  I do wish that Getz had put more into this bullpen; they make nice trade pieces (and this horrid pen is a contributor to this being a 40 win team instead of 60 win).

Can Getz get this done?  I have no idea.  But too early to give up or to pound on him.

Where are the position players coming from that you expect to be ready in 3 years? 

Montgomery, Quero and Ramos have disappointed, and Gonzalez is probably a bench IF at best. 

28 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Where are the position players coming from that you expect to be ready in 3 years. 

Montgomery, Quero and Ramos have disappointed, and Gonzalez is probably a bench IF at best. 

Quero has a 127 wRC+ in AA.  Are you overreacting to a low BABIP?

Why is Gonzalez a “bench IF at best”?  Power hasn’t been great but has shown elite plate discipline and should be a very solid defensive player.

• Fire 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Quero has a 127 wRC+ in AA.  Are you overreacting to a low BABIP?

Why is Gonzalez a “bench IF at best”?  Power hasn’t been great but has shown elite plate discipline and should be a very solid defensive player.

You just answered your own question about Gonzalez. Not enough pop. 

Where is everyone getting minor league advanced stats? 

I don't have access so I had no idea that Quero had a 127 wRC+

Luckily for Aly, according to her timeline, when the Sox are approaching .500 again, there will be no need to log on to fangraphs.  She will be able to simply look up any stat projected from alien overload, Xeno-5587, into the government mandated chip all humans get transplanted in our brains after the war of 3052 AD.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Luckily for Aly, according to her timeline, when the Sox are approaching .500 again, there will be no need to log on to fangraphs.  She will be able to simply look up any stat projected from alien overload, Xeno-5587, into the government mandated chip all humans get transplanted in our brains after the war of 3052 AD.  

Blernsball Champs 3055!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Back to the topic, I do think Crochet gets traded now (I didn't before). The guy is going to get a ton of interest from teams from now to the deadline.  

If SD wants him, I think they would have to part with Merrill.  Something like Crochet and Pham for Merrill, Snelling, De Vries, and Kemp would entice me

No way that's happening.

Merrill was a Top 15 MiLB SS prospect who is one of the youngest players in baseball basically holding his own at a totally new position which is one of the three toughest to play in the sport.

They basically ran Pham out of town and will have no interest in him or Clevinger again.