Grifol on his future...

For Grifol, Counsell said, ‘‘It’s got to be tough.’’

Well, then, how tough is it?

‘‘I’m sleeping good, man,’’ Grifol said.

this is so funny. I want to feel sorry for him but I just can't. 

1 minute ago, nrockway said:

this is so funny. I want to feel sorry for him but I just can't. 

Why feel sorry for him?  He is on pace to be one of the worst managers in the history of baseball.  Every other team would have fired him by now.  He comes across as a total asshole.

• Like 6

Just now, fathom said:

Why feel sorry for him?  He is on pace to be one of the worst managers in the history of baseball.  Every other team would have fired him by now.  He comes across as a total asshole.

he's a pitiable person more than anything else I think. I don't think he's an asshole, he's just slow. I want him to be fired but I also want to tell him "cheer up, champ". 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fathom said:

How they f*** did hey interview him and think...yep this is our guy.  Shows how inept they were and may still be. 

• Like 3

He fricken does. Cocky arrogant prick

• Like 1

Grifol and others will be fired as soon as Reinsdorf gives the ok.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

How they f*** did hey interview him and think...yep this is our guy.  Shows how inept they were and may still be. 

Because he told them probably how great the roster was and thar JR and Hahn did an amazing job of putting a roster together

He obvious said what they wanted to hear.  And hearing that we apparently want to be in the stone age of baseball in teams in how we use data, I fully expect we will see the same feelings based hire for whoever gets hired next.

Posted (edited)

That's a great question and really dovetails with the "does anybody have any pride in their work" thread. I think that there exists a deep institutional rot in the White Sox org. For example, the canceling of Sox Fest seems to be a case where instead of fixing a problem a bunch of people whose paychecks depend on JR said "we'll just cancel it" and because JR is always focused on the bottom line rather than running a professional org (at least in the last decade) said sure, sounds good. 

When people get rewarded for simply doing what their (wrong headed) manager wants instead of doing what is best for the org, it starts to snowball. 

Is it beyond the realm of possibility that the people Getz put in charge of evaluating the manager simply said "let's do the least work possible" and green light it up the chain of command, after all, it will save the big man upstairs a few bucks to just keep this guy on already...

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

Jerry Reinsdorf hired the cheapest option and this is what we get

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fathom said:

Which is amazing considering his record these past couple years.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That's a great question and really dovetails with the "does anybody have any pride in their work" thread. I think that there exists a deep institutional rot in the White Sox org. For example, the canceling of Sox Fest seems to be a case where instead of fixing a problem a bunch of people whose paychecks depend on JR said "we'll just cancel it" and because JR is always focused on the bottom line rather than running a professional org (at least in the last decade) said sure, sounds good. 

When people get rewarded for simply doing what their (wrong headed) manager wants instead of doing what is best for the org, it starts to snowball. 

Is it beyond the realm of possibility that the people Getz put in charge of evaluating the manager simply said "let's do the least work possible" and green light it up the chain of command, after all, it will save the big man upstairs a few bucks to just keep this guy on already...

Never forget that JR thought hiring Tony was gonna be a gift to Sox fans.  He will never forgive the fans for immediately crapping on the idea.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Jerry Reinsdorf hired the cheapest option and this is what we get

Plus Reinsdorf has a thing for the Royals way. Ever since he fell in love with Kauffman Stadium and made GRate field a cheap imitation with no waterfalls. He should have picked another team to fall in love with.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Never forget that JR thought hiring Tony was gonna be a gift to Sox fans.  He will never forgive the fans for immediately crapping on the idea.

Showed how out of touch he is, but at the time I appreciated his willingness to actually pay for a manager with a name. Oh well. I was wrong. TLR might not have been the main problem, but he wasn't part of the solution either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Firing Pedro would be doing him a favor.  He will get to sit at home and collect his checks and not be held accountable for this dumpster fire.

Isn't "firing", by definition, being held accountable?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Firing Pedro would be doing him a favor.  He will get to sit at home and collect his checks and not be held accountable for this dumpster fire.

I mean he's not exactly being held accountable while being here. Unless you consider making him sit through more games as punishment, in which case, yeah you're probably right.

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I mean he's not exactly being held accountable while being here. Unless you consider making him sit through more games as punishment, in which case, yeah you're probably right.

Right now he is the guy who has to go on camera every night talking about why the team failed.  Once he is gone, the focus turns to someone else, and he still gets to collect his paychecks.  Maybe at some point someone will ask the GM or owner about the roster?  Nah.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

See KW.  See Hahn.  See KW Jr.  See Grifol.  See Haber.

You have to back to Ozzie in 2011 to find a Sox manager that ever coached again after the Sox.  And his was a short failed stint with the Marlins.  Before that it was Jerry Manuel who coached the Mets after the Sox.

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

He met the two requirements for the position: 1) He came cheap and 2) Agreed to do whatever Hahn wanted 

• Thanks 1