BA updated Top 100, Noah Schultz checks in at #9

Posted (edited)

That's awesome.  How many pitchers are above Schultz?

56 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm surprised they still have Colson that high? Do they think he will adjust to velocity?

Feels like a portion of Soxtalk has almost written off Montgomery.  I don't hear anything negative about him anywhere else. 

@Sleepy Harold@Y2Jimmy0, is it just the echo chamber here or are there serious concerns about him?

Edited by Nardiwashere
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Feels like a portion of Soxtalk has almost written off Montgomery.  I don't hear anything negative about him anywhere else. 

@Sleepy Harold@Y2Jimmy0, is it just the echo chamber here or are there serious concerns about him?

I'm not writing him off at all, I said earlier even if Fangraphs projection of 45 hit/60 power is true that's still very good at 3B and great at SS once combined with a good OBP.

I'm just surprised that given his early struggles BA has him 12th overall. I would have thought something around 30-40 or so. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm not writing him off at all, I said earlier even if Fangraphs projection of 45 hit/60 power is true that's still very good at 3B and great at SS once combined with a good OBP.

I'm just surprised that given his early struggles BA has him 12th overall. I would have thought something around 30-40 or so. 

I didn't think you were... Didn't mean to imply that. 

I have noticed other posts being a little more negative about him in the last couple of weeks and your comment made me think of it. 

57 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

The one interesting thing I saw was about his inability to hit velocity. There was a tweet out there on it at some point.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The one interesting thing I saw was about his inability to hit velocity. There was a tweet out there on it at some point.

Yeah that's the type of stuff I'm referencing.

This is a dumb question but wouldn't that flaw be exposed in AA too?  I always figured AA has hard throwers and AAA has guys like Touki Toussaint mixed in with guys from AA on their way to the MLB.

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

Yeah that's the type of stuff I'm referencing.

This is a dumb question but wouldn't that flaw be exposed in AA too?  I always figured AA has hard throwers and AAA has guys like Touki Toussaint mixed in with guys from AA on their way to the MLB.

I can't find the tweet now, but it was something to the effect of how much his contact rate dropped with fastballs 94+ IIRC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't find the tweet now, but it was something to the effect of how much his contact rate dropped with fastballs 94+ IIRC.

It's from Keith Law's updated top 50 that I posted.

Edited by DirtySox

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Do they have updated writeups for each?

Kind of, they're very brief and vague for the most part. Nothing really in-depth. This is the Schultz write-up.

Ht: 6'9" | Wt: 220 | B-T: L-L

Opening Day Age: 20.7
ETA: 2025

The Skinny: Schultz impressed last year, but he’s taken a further step forward this year into the top-tier of pitching prospects. Schultz has been kept on very tight pitch limits, so durability remains a long-term concern.

Scouting Grades Fastball: 65 | Slider: 60 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 60

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Nardiwashere said:

I don't think it's unfair to be skeptical. He was aggressively pushed to AAA but is still young for the level so I'm not panicking that he isn't dominating the level at this moment. IMO I think a lot of the negativity is drawn from unhappiness surrounding everything with the ML team, which I understand. Hard to separate the two sometimes. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, oldsox said:

I wonder if BA knows he only pitches 3-4 innings per week.

Schultz has been kept on very tight pitch limits, so durability remains a long-term concern”

Yup.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Colson?  A 129 wRC+ as a 21 in AA is doing “not well”?  Where do you come up with this stuff.

I had no idea about that. 

He hit like .220 in AA. Are we at the point where 2012 Dunn is acceptable for an entire lineup? Who cares if the guy rarely gets a hit as long as it's a 2B or HR. 

Yeah, hit .205 all ya want if it comes with 40 HR and a bunch of walks. 

I'm as advanced stat heavy as anyone but hitting under .230 offends my baseball sensibilities. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

6 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I had no idea about that. 

He hit like .220 in AA. Are we at the point where 2012 Dunn is acceptable for an entire lineup? Who cares if the guy rarely gets a hit as long as it's a 2B or HR. 

Yeah, hit .205 all ya want if it comes with 40 HR and a bunch of walks. 

I'm as advanced stat heavy as anyone but hitting under .230 offends my baseball sensibilities. 

He hit .244 but just keep making stats up.  And yes, let’s ignore the .400 OBP that came with that BA because Adam was an incredibly productive three outcome hitter who didn’t appeal to your baseball sensibilities 15 years ago.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I don't think it's unfair to be skeptical. He was aggressively pushed to AAA but is still young for the level so I'm not panicking that he isn't dominating the level at this moment. IMO I think a lot of the negativity is drawn from unhappiness surrounding everything with the ML team, which I understand. Hard to separate the two sometimes. 

And now being more likely to end up at 3B rather than SS.