BA updated Top 100, Noah Schultz checks in at #9

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I had no idea about that. 

He hit like .220 in AA. Are we at the point where 2012 Dunn is acceptable for an entire lineup? Who cares if the guy rarely gets a hit as long as it's a 2B or HR. 

Yeah, hit .205 all ya want if it comes with 40 HR and a bunch of walks. 

I'm as advanced stat heavy as anyone but hitting under .230 offends my baseball sensibilities. 

2012 Adam Dunn put up an .800 OPS and a 114 OPS+.  The Sox would kill an orphan for a hitter like that right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Interesting. Didn’t realize he was that high. Well, I guess Schultz is the first to crack the top 10 in two decades so there’s that.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

And they STILL ranked him in the top 10.  That should tell you something. 

They also have been much more conservative ranking pitchers just due to the attrition and volatility compared to position players. this definitely got my attention. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He was....then he got hurt.

And into KW doghouse.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wait?  What?  I had no idea!

"The Bigger Unit"

Didn't he get in trouble because he left a game early?  Or am I confusing him with someone else. 

I remember him falling on the steps of the dugout in his debut and Hawk saying stuff like, "Big Jon's gonna be all right" when he'd give up runs. 

Edited by Nardiwashere

24 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

"The Bigger Unit"

Didn't he get in trouble because he left a game early?  Or am I confusing him with someone else. 

I remember him falling on the steps of the dugout in his debut and Hawk saying stuff like, "Big Jon's gonna be all right" when he'd give up runs. 

He had a ton of off of the field issues, similar to some other tall highly ranked pitcher who may still be on our roster.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

BA posted an article detailing those that rose/fell in the update. Schultz is in the "big moves" section.

Noah Schultz, LHP, White Sox (Up 17 Spots): Schultz has struck out 40% of all batters he has faced this year. Few lefty starters can match his combination of fastball velocity (mid 90s and touching 97-98) and a devastating slider that he can throw for strikes or out of the zone on command. Chicago has kept him on very tight pitch limits, which is the biggest concern. He hasn’t demonstrated an ability to shoulder MLB-style starter workloads yet.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/tracking-2024-in-season-top-100-prospect-movement/

Edited by DirtySox

4 hours ago, Nardiwashere said:

"The Bigger Unit"

Yep, was at that fateful game...

• Love 1

8 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Schultz has Skenes potential if he can overcome the durability questions. His stuff is that good.

Agreed. Hopefully before the end of the season, the Sox will allow him to go 6 IP a couple times.