6/5 Sux @ Flubs 7:05PM CT

We should remember Kopech's first major league appearance was in 2018. Chuck Garfien was telling us he was the franchise savior. We are still waiting for that to happen. 

George Steinbrenner would have had several nervous breakdowns by now. A U-haul would have been needed to carry out all the people he would have fired. JR doesn't seem affected.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wegner said:

15-47 is bad 

And the White Sox are good for what ails ya if you're a struggling team.

Time to start the Red Sox on a win streak, especially if they win game one vs. Crochet!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's 15 over two seasons last 5 of 67, first 10 of 68.

They have now tied the single season record of 13 straight.

11th time they had a lead in the 7th inning or later...and lost.

AND this is the 4th time that has happened in the last five games!

DON'T STOP NOW BOYS! Lets' go for 20!

Why stop at 20? Let's go for the Pistons 26 game streak in the NBA this year.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Exactly. The Sox give so many teams life. It's absurd. I'm telling you ... the Royals gained a lot of early confidence by winning 6 of 7 vs Chicago or whatever it was. We woke up Minnesota at the time for sure. This was a wake up for the Cubs. And there are other teams the Sox awakened as well. Did the Sox stink against Cleveland too and boost their spirits early on? I forget.

Ironically, I believe the Sox have a winning record vs, the Guardians.

11 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

The real issue is development.   They same to have no shortage of dumb baseball players.

Spot on.....I watched my two grandsons playing a game Tuesday night and they both made the same play that Sheets made trying to catch the ball going to the second baseman when they were suppose to be covering first.  Only difference is they are only 5 and 6 years old.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I am pretty sure Kopech is my most hated player in tram history.  

Kopech is a head case and terrible teammate.  There are soooo many worse players in Sox history, hell on this particular team right now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Kopech is a head case and terrible teammate.  There are soooo many worse players in Sox history, hell on this particular team right now.

Not arguing that there are infinitely more unlikeable or worse players then him but I think the 2019 TJ and then electing to not return in 2020 when it was tailor made for him to ease back in for 2021 led to where we are now.

I know I'm getting old and spend a lot of time yelling at the clouds so this is probably another of those times.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I heard this last night and I know he is pandering to Sox fans but it came across as too fake.  He may have just become a Sox fan when he got the job but the dude is from New York.  He was likely a Yankees or Mets fan growing up.  I know this is a bit petty to make fun of him about but he tries too hard sometimes.  He doesn’t need to be an outright homer like Hawk.  Hawk at least earned his homer rights by being here for so long.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I heard this last night and I know he is pandering to Sox fans but it came across as too fake.  He may have just become a Sox fan when he got the job but the dude is from New York.  He was likely a Yankees or Mets fan growing up.  I know this is a bit petty to make fun of him about but he tries too hard sometimes.  He doesn’t need to be an outright homer like Hawk.  Hawk at least earned his homer rights by being here for so long.

In Schiffren's defense, Hawk's homerism was contrived as well. In addition to his years playing for Boston, the KC A's and Cleveland, he spent five years broadcasting in Boston and another three broadcasting for the Yankees. He had no connections to Chicago at all before coming here in '82. He adopted the homer shtick because he thought that's what Chicago fans wanted. JR said so himself in this Chicago magazine article from 2012: “The Chicago market wants a homer. That’s why he does the homer routine. I personally don’t like it, but that’s what our fans want.”: https://www.chicagomag.com/chicago-magazine/september-2012/is-chicago-sox-broadcaster-hawk-harrelson-one-of-the-all-time-greats/ 

Now, Jack Brickhouse (former Cubs/Sox announcer) was a real homer, for better or worse. Lifelong Illlinoisian who really did believe in his homerism.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

What a great discussion about the game.  It's really unbelievable your fascination with the broadcast booth.

We get it, you could do a better job so there no need to keep bringing it up over and over and over and over. 

He probably could.  I haven’t heard Lip’s voice but he probably has more historical Sox knowledge located in his left nut than Schriffen has in his entire body.  ?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There's no question he was a frisbee golf player.

• Haha 3

Should they switch Kopech to a starter? It seems to me he's about as bad a one-inning reliever as I've seen in a Sox jersey. I mean of those expected to be decent. You can't count some of the hacks we've had that are just bodies to complete a roster. That implosion last night was so quick. Just laughable how bad he is. Make him a starter. We're already very used to starters stinking. Can't be any worse than some of them we've seen during the tank years.

2 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

What a great discussion about the game.  It's really unbelievable your fascination with the broadcast booth.

We get it, you could do a better job so there no need to keep bringing it up over and over and over and over. 

Never said I could do a better job, simply passing along what I see on the web sites for your edification and enjoyment.

And given I've been in the sports media business since 1978 and have worked on TV for 14 years and been doing radio play by play for decades...yea what goes on in the broadcasting booth is of interest to me.

And speaking of which, did you read the Hawks TV news today?????????????????????

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I got no problem with it. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to read his posts. If anything, you’re in the minority. Schriffen is a  laughingstock for the majority of fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, waltwilliams said:

In Schiffren's defense, Hawk's homerism was contrived as well. In addition to his years playing for Boston, the KC A's and Cleveland, he spent five years broadcasting in Boston and another three broadcasting for the Yankees. He had no connections to Chicago at all before coming here in '82. He adopted the homer shtick because he thought that's what Chicago fans wanted. JR said so himself in this Chicago magazine article from 2012: “The Chicago market wants a homer. That’s why he does the homer routine. I personally don’t like it, but that’s what our fans want.”: https://www.chicagomag.com/chicago-magazine/september-2012/is-chicago-sox-broadcaster-hawk-harrelson-one-of-the-all-time-greats/ 

Now, Jack Brickhouse (former Cubs/Sox announcer) was a real homer, for better or worse. Lifelong Illlinoisian who really did believe in his homerism.

By the time I was watching every game I could (thanks C-Span sat) circa 1991, Hawk's homerism was long, long past contrived and his passion for the Sox could be felt through the screen. He was also an expert on how baseball is played at the MLB level, which added a lot of weight to his calls, especially when he was in his prime between 90-2012 or so.

JR doesn't know his fanbase, I wouldn't listen to a single thing that out of touch f*** says. Nobody wanted a homer, or very few, what we wanted is someone passionate about the Sox and that was Hawk.

John isn't going to last long enough to start any homerism, schtick or otherwise, we can only hope.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Hawk 1