Next trade MUST bring a proven major league reliever. Another bullpen loss tonight.

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  Plus, why?  He is going to see more contact at the major league level, and he will have the leagues worst defense behind him.  What are we going to learn from that?  What is he going to learn from that?  There is nothing wrong with him spending a few more months in Birmingham with a club that is actually good, and letting him experience some winning and quality teammates.  He will have plenty of time in Chicago, assuming he can handle it.

he's going to learn that eventually you have to face the big boys and they're better at baseball than the guys in AA. why do the conditions have to be ideal, I thought he was supposed to be a touted prospect. seriously, what is Thorpe learning at AA? how is he getting better at baseball by pitching 6 shutout innings every 5 days against guys he's way better than? what's he going to learn at AAA that he won't learn in the Majors? Is it a service time manipulation thing?

I'm willing to bet he doesn't stop at AAA and that he's "ready" for major league baseball. as ready as Jackson Holliday or Jonathan Cannon or anyone else. once again, you don't have to keep him up and he doesn't immediately become a terrible baseball player because you call him up before some arbitrary time where people on the internet determine he's "ready". 

Call him up and if he's bad, put him back in AAA. what a concept.

5 minutes ago, nrockway said:

he's going to learn that eventually you have to face the big boys and they're better at baseball than the guys in AA. why do the conditions have to be ideal, I thought he was supposed to be a touted prospect. seriously, what is Thorpe learning at AA? how is he getting better at baseball by pitching 6 shutout innings every 5 days against guys he's way better than? what's he going to learn at AAA that he won't learn in the Majors? Is it a service time manipulation thing?

I'm willing to bet he doesn't stop at AAA and that he's "ready" for major league baseball. as ready as Jackson Holliday or Jonathan Cannon or anyone else. once again, you don't have to keep him up and he doesn't immediately become a terrible baseball player because you call him up before some arbitrary time where people on the internet determine he's "ready". 

I found Chris Getz's burner account.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I think some 40-man complication weigh on any promotion. Thorpe's not on the 40-man, Iriarte and Eder are. Shane Drohan is rehabbing, and will have to come off the 60-day IL soon. Joe Barlow has also come off the IL, and he could be replacement fodder in a bullpen purge, if one is coming. While Thorpe is manhandling AA, it can be argued that Mason Adams has done more that warrants a callup. Ky Bush is right there, too. Clevinger is also set to come off of the IL. So a bunch of guys are in front of him in the activation line. 

I'm guessing Getz will wait until a couple trades clear some spots to begin adding. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I think some 40-man complication weigh on any promotion. Thorpe's not on the 40-man, Iriarte and Eder are. Shane Drohan is rehabbing, and will have to come off the 60-day IL soon. Joe Barlow has also come off the IL, and he could be replacement fodder in a bullpen purge, if one is coming. While Thorpe is manhandling AA, it can be argued that Mason Adams has done more that warrants a callup. Ky Bush is right there, too. Clevinger is also set to come off of the IL. So a bunch of guys are in front of him in the activation line. 

I'm guessing Getz will wait until a couple trades clear some spots to begin adding. 

So many DFAs, so little time.

• Haha 1

Sorry guys about raining on your parade, but I am not Hahn’s or Getz’ secret account.  I just though we will need to bring in a reliever sooner or later.  We are currently throwing under the bus our better starting pitchers.  Our bullpen now is a septic tank.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Sorry guys about raining on your parade, but I am not Hahn’s or Getz’ secret account.  I just though we will need to bring in a reliever sooner or later.  We are currently throwing under the bus our better starting pitchers.  Our bullpen now is a septic tank.

And you are wanting to put performance racing tires on an 88 Yugo.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

My guess is there's gotta be a purge, soon. Drohan, Barlow, Toussant, Wilson coming up, maybe a few going out.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Exactly. Wilson had been out too. The losing streak and BP implosion started the day Wilson went on the IL and our middle relievers became our late innings guys.

Wilson meant everything to Tom Hanks too. Hopefully this little tidbit of pop culture is not lost on too many.?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

My guess is there's gotta be a purge, soon. Drohan, Barlow, Toussant, Wilson coming up, maybe a few going out.

After the trade deadline . Have to let that play out.

Wilson will be back and Justin Anderson back down.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

All this thread did is that it reminded me Getz took back a 29-year-old reliever with two good years on his resume that Getz stans said was so smart cause he'd bring back even more at the deadline.

Chris Getz might be dumb enough to do this.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Spring training he did

Ah yea that’s what I was recalling. This year has been so ugly it’s blended into one giant waterfall of ugly.

Posted (edited)

If our ownership had any interest in eating salary maybe we could take an overpaid but not terrible reliever off of someone's hands if they add a mediocre prospect with upside alongside it. 

There be some added wins to our starters when they do look good instead of the bullpen entirely blowing it every time. Thus creating a few extra wins and trade value for them, maybe go for some groundball relievers struggling in hitters ballparks that are young enough and need our elite defense (lol) or something. So maybe I was harsh with the first post but there are definitely possibilities that we can pick up prospects by eating some salary of a reliever just to up the value of our starters and maybe not make our defense run around and get injured too much? 

I don't know, trying to positive. 

Edited by bobbydanks

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, bobbydanks said:

If our ownership had any interest in eating salary maybe we could take an overpaid but not terrible reliever off of someone's hands if they add a mediocre prospect with upside alongside it. 

There be some added wins to our starters when they do look good instead of the bullpen entirely blowing it every time. Thus creating a few extra wins and trade value for them, maybe go for some groundball relievers struggling in hitters ballparks that are young enough and need our elite defense (lol) or something. So maybe I was harsh with the first post but there are definitely possibilities that we can pick up prospects by eating some salary of a reliever just to up the value of our starters and maybe not make our defense run around and get injured too much? 

I don't know, trying to positive. 

This is definitely a strategy Getz should be trying to employ.  But he reports to a boss that cares more about the debits and credits T-charts than the scouting reports on players the Sox may be able to acquire if they ate some of the salaries of their own players.

Just like with Hahn’s previous rebuild, it will likely only be the Sox dumping salary or salary neutral trades, which will limit the return that Getz can get.  This is because, as your already know, the bottom line is more important to Reinsdorf than winning is (see his infamous quote about finishing in 2nd place in the division).

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

alright i've come around from the OP's first post.

Say for instance the White Sox won a quarter more of those games blown out of 20 and that adds 2-3 wins to our starters' stats but also takes pressure off of both those starters and the relievers because they definitely have had a lot of trouble after the first five innings or so. Taking on an aging reliever for a former top 50 prospect struggling (think korey lee but younger, we like him right?) or something and eating a third of the cost of a stupid contract for a season or two while we're going to pay like brebbia or anderson the same price... there might be something to this. One solid reliever can make every other pitcher's stats look better and add value to them even if they're not part of the big picture.  Granted our starters are so bad that most of the overpaid relievers would probably wind up starting a few games but at least it's a thought? What teams overpaid a reliever but are looking like non-contenders? take that reliever and their 6th best prospect and call it a day.