White Sox "actively seeking" packages for Robert

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which two are ranked top 5 and based on what criteria?

Confusing winning percentage with talent/potential.

Quite often not a very clear correlation at all...well maybe Sox affilates in 2021-22-23.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Confusing winning percentage with talent/potential.

Quite often not a very clear correlation at all...well maybe Sox affilates in 2021-22-23.

Yup.  Get back to me when our positional prospects are leading their respective leagues in OPS.  A team stat does nothing for me in assessing individual prospect performances.

8 hours ago, hi8is said:

Yes he was

No, he wasn't. Dave Dombrowski is on record stating that they told the Sox they would not be willing to give up Devers when the Sox asked for Devers to be included in the trade and the Sox had to come back with different players. In an alternate universe where Devers is the headliner and not Moncada, sure, he was on the table. But in ours, in the trade we made, he wasn't. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

I dont get this, it's undeniably the best thing the organization can do for its self. Moving him and getting a big haul could set the team up for a long time. 

I’m for trading him but sounds exactly like what was said when we geared up to trade Sale. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

No, he wasn't. Dave Dombrowski is on record stating that they told the Sox they would not be willing to give up Devers when the Sox asked for Devers to be included in the trade and the Sox had to come back with different players. In an alternate universe where Devers is the headliner and not Moncada, sure, he was on the table. But in ours, in the trade we made, he wasn't. 

They had their choice between Devers with a different third piece or Moncada… and yes, they had asked for Moncada, Kopech, and Devers… which was denied.

So we’re saying the same thing with different words 😆

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s gonna hurt when Robert puts up 15 WAR for another team from 25-27. 

I was thinking the exact same thing. It WOULD be our luck for that to happen. In fact, I EXPECT that to happen. 

Edited by Chisoxmb35
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly my thoughts. We have promising pitching in the minors, a few players that can be decent and the best free agent class in years....oh wait. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Exactly my thoughts. We have promising pitching in the minors, a few players that can be decent and the best free agent class in years....oh wait. 

It doesn’t hurts as much when you realize the owner won’t spend on good free agents and Robert won’t be here when the Sox are good again.  No way is he going to be extended if he is awesome.  And then you also have the risk of getting nothing for him if his injury woes continue.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bmags said:

That's 3 full seasons man, that's a ton. In 2020, we would have been laughing at you if you said in 3 years we'd be a 100 loss team.

This - if Robert is playing at a high level and Orioles offer Holliday plus another guy fine…that isn’t happening though. 

Let Robert mash and than see what you get at a later point. Now if Robert goes on an absolute tear and a team is offering like 1 top 20 guy, 1 top 50 guy, 1 back end top 100 guys, international slot and picks, plus another 2 rawer guys who could develop fine by me. 

But like one top 100 plus two other top 200 guys…not doing it for a guy they have around for 3.5 more seasons who at some point during that window will put up a 6 plus war season (trade him whenever that season happens)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

This - if Robert is playing at a high level and Orioles offer Holliday plus another guy fine…that isn’t happening though. 

Let Robert mash and than see what you get at a later point. Now if Robert goes on an absolute tear and a team is offering like 1 top 20 guy, 1 top 50 guy, 1 back end top 100 guys, international slot and picks, plus another 2 rawer guys who could develop fine by me. 

But like one top 100 plus two other top 200 guys…not doing it for a guy they have around for 3.5 more seasons who at some point during that window will put up a 6 plus war season (trade him whenever that season happens)

Any deal has to start with a top 10, top 50, and top 100 and go from there.  Sneaking in a young raw international player at the end would be sweet as well.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I do hope someone figures out how to keep him on the field because the dude is special. 

10 hours ago, bmags said:

That's 3 full seasons man, that's a ton. In 2020, we would have been laughing at you if you said in 3 years we'd be a 100 loss team.

I would have laughed at the notion too, but here we are.

This org doesn't pay for marquee free agents, they don't sign ace level starters or any quality starter to long term deals. They also don't draft well or develop MLB players on the regular. They are also one of the worst teams at scouting at the MLB level. Yes, three years is a long time, but JR isn't going to drastically change his ways in his twilight years.

With how this org operates, and with the dearth of talent currently in the minors, I simply see no path to being a good team before Robert's deal expires, let alone a legit contender.

• Like 1

The only absolutes here are that Robert is incredibly talented, we have to trade him and there's no way to time it correctly because he can't stay healthy. His health dictates that we have to take the best package possible and hope for the best. It's just not a situation where you can make any definitive judgements about the quality of the trade when it happens. 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2024 at 1:38 AM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Maybe, but do you think they will win with Robert in the next 3 years, and whatever other players the Sox have in the farm and free agents that JR allows Getz to sign?

Fans buy into that.  That is the problem with baseball.  If we have someone good and don't win with them, let's trade them for some possible prospects.  More often failure than success.  Why not keep a player win or not to have fans watch.  You get a player that has some cost control and is a once in a generation type player when they are on the field you don't trade them.  Rare do those team ever get better.   Not gonna win so lets trade is another myth in baseball. A lateral move at best.   That would be so Reinsdorf to do something like this.  It's pretty much what he's done.  Start with Sportvision, strike, TLR manager.  If there's a parade he'll piss on it,

Funny how some fans keep/organizations keep up with these mythical formulas and their teams go nowhere.  The average doesn't even care about a farm system. 

Trading Robert will probably be the end of my fandom.  They will still suck and trade the next Robert.  Hard to belive Thomas lasted that long as a Sox.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Fans buy into that.  That is the problem with baseball.  If we have someone good and don't win with them, let's trade them for some possible prospects.  More often failure than success.  Why not keep a player win or not to have fans watch.  You get a player that has some cost control and is a once in a generation type player when they are on the field you don't trade them.  Rare do those team ever get better.   Not gonna win so lets trade is another myth in baseball. A lateral move at best.   That would be so Reinsdorf to do something like this.  It's pretty much what he's done.  Start with Sportvision, strike, TLR manager.  If there's a parade he'll piss on it,

Funny how some fans keep/organizations keep up with these mythical formulas and their teams go nowhere.  The average doesn't even care about a farm system. 

Trading Robert will probably be the end of my fandom.  They will still suck and trade the next Robert.  Hard to belive Thomas lasted that long as a Sox.

Frank lasted as long as he did because JR had a different mindset back then. 

I get your viewpoint but the Sox are between a rock and a hard place with no way out until new ownership arrives. JR is dead-set in his ways and his thoughts on how things should be done and at age 88 he probably isn't changing his philosophy. 

Edited by Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Keeping Robert for 3 more seasons while this team is losing 90-100 games is just about the dumbest thing they could do. 

The return of assets in a Robert trade could set this team up for a nice run of sustained success, and if they fail we’re in the same spot we would have been anyways. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Bobby Hull leaving was certainly the end of my Hawks fan fandom.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Bobby Hull leaving was certainly the end of my Hawks fan fandom.

That ended up not working out very well for you 

• Haha 2