White Sox "actively seeking" packages for Robert

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He pretty much played a full 2020 and was clear RoY favorite until the last 4-6 weeks when he faded terrible and Kyle Lewis of the Mariners kind of took off, but he flashed that huge Mike Trout potential.

So I would go with "showed up" at least 2/5 times, compared to just once.

Considering 2020 was the 60 game season he did "show up"   but we see what happens to him so far in full seasons . He misses around half the games averaging it out.

On 6/9/2024 at 11:39 AM, baseball_gal_aly said:

If Bob speaks about the Sox, it's probably true. 

They're probably not getting the offers they're looking for. 

This makes sense - I think the Sox have extended durations with both players and so with Robert having missed most of the year and kind of in a down place - unless he just crushes in June / July - you probably don't get the value you could for him if you wait it out and trade him when he is having a great season (we don't know when that will be - but in a 3.5 year span - I suspect he'll have at least one year where he has it all just rolling (if not two) and that is absolutely the time to max out for him.  

Re: Crochet - I presume the reality is - this offseason will be a better time to deal him or even part way into next year where he is (hopefully) continuing to show his dominance. I think the reality is a team paying what he's worth now is probably discounting the payment given the fact that he'll hit his inning limit and need to get shut down. The balancing act here is Sox NEED to be smart and not get Crochet hurt. This is delicate given his injury history - so if Sox got a good (but not great offer), I see the reason to take the offer and run, because there is definitely a chance he goes down again, misses half or a whole season, and at that point you don't have much upside.  With that said - if he has a good year, you shut him down smartly, I could see a club looking for a cost controlled pitcher paying a ton in the off-season, and I could also see the same if he came out next year and had a really strong 1st month or two -> at that point you are going to get a haul.  

However, Crochet is pitching so well (*knock on wood*) that there is a non-zero chance someone decides they really like him and makes an aggressive enough offer to make it work this year. I think more likely on Crochet than Robert -> but thats mainly because Crochet has the production this year to drive it; If Robert had a month of June where he hit 10+HR's and put up a .950+ OPS while playing really good D, and than carried that into July -> I could see the Robert momentum improve significantly.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This makes sense - I think the Sox have extended durations with both players and so with Robert having missed most of the year and kind of in a down place - unless he just crushes in June / July - you probably don't get the value you could for him if you wait it out and trade him when he is having a great season (we don't know when that will be - but in a 3.5 year span - I suspect he'll have at least one year where he has it all just rolling (if not two) and that is absolutely the time to max out for him.  

Re: Crochet - I presume the reality is - this offseason will be a better time to deal him or even part way into next year where he is (hopefully) continuing to show his dominance. I think the reality is a team paying what he's worth now is probably discounting the payment given the fact that he'll hit his inning limit and need to get shut down. The balancing act here is Sox NEED to be smart and not get Crochet hurt. This is delicate given his injury history - so if Sox got a good (but not great offer), I see the reason to take the offer and run, because there is definitely a chance he goes down again, misses half or a whole season, and at that point you don't have much upside.  With that said - if he has a good year, you shut him down smartly, I could see a club looking for a cost controlled pitcher paying a ton in the off-season, and I could also see the same if he came out next year and had a really strong 1st month or two -> at that point you are going to get a haul.  

However, Crochet is pitching so well (*knock on wood*) that there is a non-zero chance someone decides they really like him and makes an aggressive enough offer to make it work this year. I think more likely on Crochet than Robert -> but thats mainly because Crochet has the production this year to drive it; If Robert had a month of June where he hit 10+HR's and put up a .950+ OPS while playing really good D, and than carried that into July -> I could see the Robert momentum improve significantly.  

Ding ding ding… we have a weiner.

13 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

PNoles & co. would also be the first to crap on a prospect package that reflected his "Robert is similar to Moncada" tweet.

Out of the 3 of Eloy , Robert Jr and Moncada, Moncada had played the most possible games percentage wise of the 3 oft injured mega-prospects.

Moncada's huge year was the 2019 bouncy ball year. He never could hit for much power after that. Even his 4 WAR year was a lot of WAR for his fielding and OBP due to walks , he barely eeked out a .400 slg with a strong finish.

Robert still flashes the big time power but he can't stay on the field long enough to really find a groove . Small sample size sucking before and after the injury this year. Seems to heat up as the weather does much like Abreu used to. The post season is not warm weather months if we want to speculate on how a healthy Robert would do in the postseason. He did hit that 486 foot bomb against Oakland in the postseason.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

You make valid points which is why the Sox new new ownership that will embrace different aspects (including spending a great deal of money in all areas) to turn this franchise around. "Bad luck" and "targeted decisions against you" can still be overcome by smart people, hiring top talent for the front office and minor league system and spending money on the best free agents, not class C guys. 

Good luck getting that kind of new ownership . 125 year old franchise and still haven't had one like that.

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

As far as a return for Robert? Or that he will be traded at all?

I would imagine him being traded, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do that within the next month.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

I would imagine him being traded, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do that within the next month.

Nah, I could see Sox management being stupid enough to think they can quickly turn this around so that they end up both with expiring contracts on these guys and not enough in the farm system at the same time, all so they can still suck even longer than they would have.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Good luck getting that kind of new ownership . 125 year old franchise and still haven't had one like that.

First time for everything. And it has to be better than the current owner. 

• Like 2

If I'm taking calls for Robert, and someone says "here's our offer, we would offer more but the injuries concern us", my response would be, if injuries concern you, why are you even calling me with any offer at all.  nobody would trade for someone whom they expect to eventually go down with a major injury

you would never give up value for someone you thought wasn't durable enough to be healthy for the rest of the contract.  which means, they're simply using "injury concerns" as an excuse to give up less.

if someone calls asking you for Robert, you absolutely sell him on his potential and ignore any comments made about injury concerns.

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

If I'm taking calls for Robert, and someone says "here's our offer, we would offer more but the injuries concern us", my response would be, if injuries concern you, why are you even calling me with any offer at all.  nobody would trade for someone whom they expect to eventually go down with a major injury

you would never give up value for someone you thought wasn't durable enough to be healthy for the rest of the contract.  which means, they're simply using "injury concerns" as an excuse to give up less.

if someone calls asking you for Robert, you absolutely sell him on his potential and ignore any comments made about injury concerns.

Imury concerns with Robert is not an excuse it's a legit detriment his value.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Imury concerns with Robert is not an excuse it's a legit detriment his value.

the point is, if you think he's a legitimate injury concern, why would you trade for him.  either you think he'll be healthy, or he won't.  it's literally one or the other.  if you think he wont, then why would you give up anything valuable for him

if a team wants him, then they think they can keep him healthy, then in that case, they need to pony up

Edited by joejoesox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

the point is, if you think he's a legitimate injury concern, why would you trade for him.  either you think he'll be healthy, or he won't.  it's literally one or the other.  if you think he wont, then why would you give up anything valuable for him

if a team wants him, then they think they can keep him healthy, then in that case, they need to pony up

Might look good in a Padres uniform. I don't see him leading the Sox to the World Series. We've been burned enough. 

Beckham is back!!  

Reason I hate Beckham 😤 is not Beckham.  It's  Jerry thinking he can foist some fluffy-headed nitwit on me and I have to listen.

Edited by pcq
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ummm...no.  That's the last way any scout across the entire sport would describe him.

Well if they watched every game like me they would see a part timer who covers the outfield fairly well but not the wall and gets some key hits. A really nice young man. 

27 minutes ago, pcq said:

Well if they watched every game like me they would see a part timer who covers the outfield fairly well but not the wall and gets some key hits. A really nice young man. 

That hasn't been true for years.