White Sox "actively seeking" packages for Robert

3 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Sad. I imagined him being on the cover of video games a few years ago and now here we are with nothing left. 

Nothing Left ... a great motto for our team! Good job.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

More years of control equals larger prospect return.  Robert is exciting when healthy, but I’ll pass on watching him have All-Star years on a losing team for the next three years.

That seems like a pretty quick contradiction. If you're expert guru GM that thinks more control equals larger return despite the fact that he's sucking and coming off of injury then you should have no issue with waiting on him to produce a bit better on this losing team. 

Also can people please stop trying to sell us on Luis Robert like we're some hapless GM of another team in your MVP baseball sim, we already know he's a great player. it's not a job interview, it's an internet discussion board. You're not auditioning for Glengarry Ross 2 ffs. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

They know he’s a ticking time bomb before another serious injury 

That'd be the only reason to trade him I'll give you that. Also maybe the Sox want to set the record for worst team in modern history then make sure they can beat that record in 2025.

2 hours ago, Soxfest said:

What is the point of trading Robert or GC who under team control for years? Getz makes no sense.

To hit rock bottom. That's the point of tanking. Trading Crochet and Robert will guarantee we are worse in 2025.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

To hit rock bottom. That's the point of tanking. Trading Crochet and Robert will guarantee we are worse in 2025.

True, they will lose in the shorter term.   But they simply don’t have enough positional talent and an owner that won’t pay for it.  The hope would be that you could get back 3-4 positional starters if they all pan out.  Do you think a lineup of Robert and jack s%*# will ever win anything?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

They shouldn't be looking to build a 90 plus win team for 2026/27, they should be looking to build an 80 win team for 2025. The bar is so fucking low right now, most fans would salivate at an 80 to 82 win season. I know I would. Sue me, I'd like to at least watch competitive Baseball in what.....May? 

They should hang on to Robert, Crochet and spend a few goddamn dollars this off season on bats with an abundance of arms coming up soon. But no. Cheap bullshit reigns and half this fanbase is already so abused that they're welcoming trading off generational talent for prospects that probably will not develop here. Whoopdi fuckin do. I'm not buying in this time. 

I wonder if I'm the only player on the board that fully agrees with this post. Would love to take a survey on it. My biggest frustration as a sports fan is the selling off of good players thinking it will help a team win in the long run. It's just not true when your organization is the White Sox. Bad scouts. Bad front office. Bad manager. ... The people that disagree with me NEVER address the fact it shouldn't take long to field a team to compete in the wretched, small market Central Division.

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

True, they will lose in the shorter term.   But they simply don’t have enough positional talent and an owner that won’t pay for it.  The hope would be that you could get back 3-4 positional starters if they all pan out.  Do you think a lineup of Robert and jack s%*# will ever win anything?

Probably long term as well.  How many of the other habitual losing small market teams get better with trade frenzy?  We buy into this mythical formula.  You still have to develop those players. 

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

Probably long term as well.  How many of the other habitual losing small market teams get better with trade frenzy?  We buy into this mythical formula.  You still have to develop those players. 

Maybe, but do you think they will win with Robert in the next 3 years, and whatever other players the Sox have in the farm and free agents that JR allows Getz to sign?

7 hours ago, Scott Merkin Fan said:

From the looks of that article Heyman is saying that Robert is the most likely player to get traded at the deadline. They are going to trade everyone they can. This is ridiculous.

Besides Robert and Crochet who would want anyone else on this joke of a team.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I wonder if I'm the only player on the board that fully agrees with this post. Would love to take a survey on it. My biggest frustration as a sports fan is the selling off of good players thinking it will help a team win in the long run. It's just not true when your organization is the White Sox. Bad scouts. Bad front office. Bad manager. ... The people that disagree with me NEVER address the fact it shouldn't take long to field a team to compete in the wretched, small market Central Division.

Yes, that works for me, JR must open up the checkbook but first thing is that Getz and Grifol must go before anything else is done, bring in an experienced GM who knows how to put together a baseball team and a farm system with the best scouts, managers and coaches.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Yes, that works for me, JR must open up the checkbook but first thing is that Getz and Grifol must go before anything else is done, bring in an experienced GM who knows how to put together a baseball team and a farm system with the best scouts, managers and coaches.

It's going to take a massive unexperienced ego for anyone to touch this team though regardless of the price. No one's going to ruin their reputation trotting out injured cubans and gavin sheets next year because they might want a job with a team that doesn't terribly suck in the future. Whoever gets this franchise to .500 is going to get hired immediately by another competent team while Michael Reinsdorf probably promotes Benintendi to minor league coach and Maldonado to GM 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Getz will do the same he did with Cease. Ask for the first born son of the GMs around the league. He won’t get it, will get lowballed, and the league will wait him out.

I'm looking forward to the top prospect from the trade striking out a 15 year old in A- ball on 92 meatball and all the "TOLDYASO"s after he has a 16 ERA beforehand brought down to 11.  

If this team is going to pull a Phoenix and rise from the ashes it's going to have to start with getting top level scouts who can identify great talent. It seems every time the Sox are sellers they trade their best players and wind up with marginal talent who seem to flame out at the major league level.  Settling for Moncada over Devers is a prime example. Compare what the Sox have to the Yankees.  It seems everyone the Yankees draft or trade for ends up contributing in a large way - just the opposite of the Sox. When Cole went down I thought the Yanks were screwed, but then they come up with Gil, and Schmidt and Cortez.  Someone in NY knows talent.  We need people like that here.  Also, it wouldn't hurt to get coaches who could successfully develop that talent. So trade Robert, Crochet, Jimenez, Fedde, etc...but if what Getz gets back in return in just marginal layers, next year will be the same, as will the year after and the year after and the year after....and then at some point they will no longer have anything of value to trade.

The last decade has been brutal, that's what happens when you tear it down to the studs to rebuild and the rebuild fails miserably. There were multiple problems that contributed to the failure.

1. The front office that built this team to get to a point where it needed to be completely rebuilt was allowed to stay and lead the rebuild. Ridiculous.

2. When the team showed it was taking steps forward in 2020, the owner hired his out of touch 80 year old buddy to lead this team instead of a qualified manager.

3. Its a marathon, not a sprint, and the White Sox went 100 MPH out of the gate and then fell over and died halfway through. They acquired premier talent on the front end but drafted poorly and never had anything ready to come up after the initial wave.

4. They never spent money like they alluded to. As a fan, hearing Rick Hahn talk about "the money will be spent" to me meant they would make meaningful signings to support a young core. This never happened, as they struck out on all big time signings they claimed to have pursued.

They'll eventually be good again, or competitive. From 1996 - 2012 they averaged 84 wins a year, this is pretty much what I think of when I remember the good old days. 80-85 wins and at least passable to watch.

34 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

If this team is going to pull a Phoenix and rise from the ashes it's going to have to start with getting top level scouts who can identify great talent. It seems every time the Sox are sellers they trade their best players and wind up with marginal talent who seem to flame out at the major league level.  Settling for Moncada over Devers is a prime example. Compare what the Sox have to the Yankees.  It seems everyone the Yankees draft or trade for ends up contributing in a large way - just the opposite of the Sox. When Cole went down I thought the Yanks were screwed, but then they come up with Gil, and Schmidt and Cortez.  Someone in NY knows talent.  We need people like that here.  Also, it wouldn't hurt to get coaches who could successfully develop that talent. So trade Robert, Crochet, Jimenez, Fedde, etc...but if what Getz gets back in return in just marginal layers, next year will be the same, as will the year after and the year after and the year after....and then at some point they will no longer have anything of value to trade.

One of the biggest trade wins in recent memory plays shortstop in San Diego.

Almost from his first day in the Padres organization, Fernando Tatis Jr. had the makings of a star. He crushed every level of the minor leagues, then made the big leagues out of spring training in 2019 and finished third in National League Rookie of the Year balloting.

At the time he was traded in 2016, Tatis had yet to play an official game for his signing franchise. The White Sox had inked him out of the Dominican Republic in a 2015 international signing class that also included Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Juan Soto.

The process the Padres went through to acquire Tatis as the second piece—along with lefthander Erik Johnson—in the deal that sent James Shields to Chicago was extensive. Four of the team’s scouts with decades of combined experience saw Tatis on the back fields in Arizona before recommending that he be included in the trade.

The Padres have one of the most robust professional scouting staffs in baseball, with 15 scouts tasked to cover the major and minor leagues. That’s tied with the Rays, Pirates and Marlins and ranks behind just the Yankees (19), D-backs (17) and Mets (16).

These teams’ scouting staffs stand in contrast with current trends. More and more teams have opted to downsize their scouting departments across all levels.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/state-of-scouting-more-mlb-teams-opt-to-downsize-scouting-departments-in-2021/

Sox reportedly had massive scouting cuts this offseason…especially older, more expensive/experienced veterans.

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

One of the biggest trade wins in recent memory plays shortstop in San Diego.

Almost from his first day in the Padres organization, Fernando Tatis Jr. had the makings of a star. He crushed every level of the minor leagues, then made the big leagues out of spring training in 2019 and finished third in National League Rookie of the Year balloting.

At the time he was traded in 2016, Tatis had yet to play an official game for his signing franchise. The White Sox had inked him out of the Dominican Republic in a 2015 international signing class that also included Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Juan Soto.

The process the Padres went through to acquire Tatis as the second piece—along with lefthander Erik Johnson—in the deal that sent James Shields to Chicago was extensive. Four of the team’s scouts with decades of combined experience saw Tatis on the back fields in Arizona before recommending that he be included in the trade.

The Padres have one of the most robust professional scouting staffs in baseball, with 15 scouts tasked to cover the major and minor leagues. That’s tied with the Rays, Pirates and Marlins and ranks behind just the Yankees (19), D-backs (17) and Mets (16).

These teams’ scouting staffs stand in contrast with current trends. More and more teams have opted to downsize their scouting departments across all levels.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/state-of-scouting-more-mlb-teams-opt-to-downsize-scouting-departments-in-2021/

Sox reportedly had massive scouting cuts this offseason…especially older, more expensive/experienced veterans.

Well, there'sone team that is not downsizing the scouting departmnent:

Neither the Yankees nor the Mets plan to cut back on pro scouting, according to sources in both organizations. Both Hal Steinbrenner and Steve Cohen can afford it and understand its importance.

The Yankees make extensive use of data as well, with a large analytics department that includes a presence in the clubhouse. Ace Gerrit Cole this year has complimented analyst Zac Fieroh for helping formulate effective game plans.

But, as Aaron Judge told SNY this week in praising Boone and new hitting coach Sean Casey, there is also value in having the scouts and former players communicate information to members of the active roster.

“It's not all about numbers,” Judge said. “It's not all about what happens on a computer screen. It's about watching the game. Reading the game, having fun with the game.”

Now even more of the information that comes to Judge and his teammates will be derived from the Yankees’ own pro scouts.

“It gives you things that they see that maybe we're missing that we need to clean up or tighten up,” Boone said. “It's really helpful.”

Posted (edited)

2024 : I would keep Crochet, Fedde ,and Robert , move Moncada, Jiminez, and Kopech for whatever they can get.  Move Benintendi to parking lot attendee before and after the game, with Churro vendor duties during the game.  

2025 could see the likes of Iriarte, Adams, Bush, Eder, and Thorpe. 

2025-2026 Noah Schultz has the making of an elite top of the line starter. The guy has been unhittable at every level and is only going to get better.

Brooks Baldwin has an .429 obp and .363 obp in 3 years of minor league ball, get him up now.

Jacob Gonzales, Quero, Colson Montgomery are getting closer to coming up.

I want to see what to see what the 2025 season brings, it cannot be worse then the present. The Sox could also trade Crochet & Robert in 20025 if the decide to.

Edited by Falstaff
typo
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

With the pace this team is on that would be about a 40 game improvement, in 1 off season.  Yeah, no.  It's like me saying I should be adding a million dollars to me savings next year.

That was my strategy....unfortunately I will be needing to add $2 million next year instead.

• Fire 1